Horses 🐴 - Hollywood

Warm bread salad to sop up the juices. In season Zuni has sometimes included dandelion greens.

2 Likes

That looks not one teeny tiny bit like the panzanella salad. Sorry.

That actually looks quite similar to some of the photos from the Zuni chicken with bread salad - nobody expects a 1:1 replication but an interpretation

2 Likes

okey dokey

Looks like most of the bread is under the bird.

The picture in the first post with all the creamy sauce looks nothing like Zuni’s dish.

1 Like

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: Flavorful Roast Chicken Recipes

new spring menu items. try the strawberry sorbet :heart:

sobrassada panino

hand cut steak tartare

tagliarini with asparagus, basil and bottarga

petrale sole with béarnaise and peas

strawberry sorbet and champagne

14 Likes

Hi @PorkyBelly

Your pics look delish. How was the tartare? Thanks.

5 Likes

hi @TheCookie
thanks :slightly_smiling_face: the tartare was solid. i do prefer more of a coarser cut though, this one was cut very finely. thanks.

3 Likes

I’m told the :racehorse: sergios (liz and will) will be leaving in a couple weeks to open a sister restaurant in nyc :sob:

3 Likes

i’m not sure when they switched from toast to this potato rosti as the foundation for this dish, but it’s fucking brilliant. soft and easy to cut through, yet still crispy on the edges. dish of the night.

shout out to @mindykaling

boudin basque with fried hen’s egg
:racehorse: :racehorse: :racehorse: :racehorse: :racehorse:

boulevardier - smooth ambler bourbon with st. agrestis, and dolin rouge

bread and butter
:racehorse: :racehorse: :racehorse:

sobrassada panino

avocado crostino with cantabrian anchovies

smoked salmon lavash with cress

horses caesar

pasta herman
:racehorse: :racehorse: :racehorse: :racehorse:

pork chop milanese with haricots vert remoulade
:racehorse: :racehorse:

cheeseburger and fries

sheep’s milk cheesecake with poached rhubarb

strawberry meringue cake

13 Likes

What’s wrong with this dish?

1 Like

How are you getting resy’s for this place? I try to check a few times a week but nothing’s ever avail.

if you don’t mind staying up until midnight that’s when reservations are released, otherwise resy notifications work well too.

5 Likes

it was nice and piping crispy but a bit dry

2 Likes

I think every Milanese I’ve had has been a bit dry.

1 Like

Have lurked on LA FTC for a while and decided to try Horses at everyone’s recommendation. Got there right at 5:30 on a Friday and had no trouble walking in for a seat at the bar.

Burrata with zucchini – Zucchini was done in an agrodolce or caponata style, really nice on top of the burrata. Felt like it needed some bread, which was provided on request.

Steak tartare – Classic, not too salty or funky. A couple big croutons and a well-balanced lettuce salad.

Horses Caesar – A new classic. Breadcrumbs were wonderful, no wonder Alson Rman adapted the recipe without credit in her newsletter.

Pappardelle with speck and saffron – Great, reminded me of a recipe for ham chablisienne that I made once. Pasta was on the al dente side, but that was fine with me. Needed the rest of the bread to sop up the sauce.

Sole with peas and bearnaise – It’s nice to eat fish with bearnaise, but I wouldn’t get this again. Everything was done correctly, but nothing about it stood out, and there were some other appetizers that sounded better.

Cheesecake with poached apricot – Generously portioned but light in texture and not too tart, a nice contrast to the basque cheesecakes that everyone is doing nowadays.

Drinks – Loved the herbal flavors in both the fig leaf vesper and cherry sake spritz. Saw a bottle of new-to-me bergamot liqueur at the bar, and the bartender made me a bergamot martini for dessert when I asked for a recommendation.

As others have mentioned, service was excellent. The bartenders were very attentive in their service, despite orders for drinks rolling in constantly for the 2 hours we were there. Other parties at the bar were downing raw egg yolks out of shot glasses.

My only criticism would be a lack of seasonal ingredients other than the peas and apricot. Maybe it was just the menu on the particular night we went, but it felt odd to see 3 different dishes with sauteed greens on a 90-degree evening in early June.

22 Likes

welcome to ftc

1 Like

Welcome to FTC!!!

1 Like

Nice to have confirmation I can go when they open and sit at the bar.

Substituting bread crumbs for croutons wasn’t an original idea.

https://www.thekitchn.com/caesar-salad-garlic-butter-breadcrumbs-recipe-23039468

1 Like