"how are we supposed to communicate without some idea of the class of posters here?"

I earn a good living as a professional but I can’t take a 3 hour lunch to drive to a restaurant across town just because I’m in the mood for their tacos (or what have you). Hell, I’m lucky to get 10 minutes to scarf down some leftovers from home at my desk on some days!

There are people on this board that can eat out every single meal at a $50/plate restaurant. There are others here who eat “cheap” food every day for 2 weeks just so they can go splurge on a “fancy” dinner on a special occasion. I think most of us are somewhere in between – we enjoy good food, but have some type of budget we try to stick to. I posted in a different thread that I went to a restaurant on Friday, which some might think is pricey, others may not. but on the flip side, for lunch today, I spent a whopping $4.99 on some chilaquiles with rice and beans from the hole in the wall Mexican place around the corner from work.

I’ve never been to Guerrilla Tacos or Gjusta, not because I can’t afford to money wise, but because I can’t afford to time wise. My days are too busy between work and home that it’s not worth it to me to drive an hour to eat 2 tacos. I’m sure they are good, but unless I’m in that area for something, it’s not going to happen.

Each person has their own wants and needs, budgets and restrictions. You shouldn’t assume everyone’s lives follow the same formula that your does.

9 Likes

And yet no one ever chastises people for posting about places inaccessible to most people due to their inability to freely move about during the day.

why should they? even if somebody isn’t mobile during their work day to get out, drive across town and try something new for lunch (I’m not), those same people might be able to do that on their day(s) off—or as boogiebaby pointed out “unless I’m in that area for something, it’s not going to happen” is often the norm for lots of people. plus it’s VERY helpful to know what’s good to eat if your in a part of town that you don’t frequent often.

1 Like

I’m not saying they should, more drawing a comparison about how hypocritical people can be in terms of complaining about how expensive a place is, but not about how difficult it might be to get to lol.

To me, being able to drive anywhere at any time of day is its own type of incredible privilege.

I don’t think it’s worthwhile to criticize anyone for their privilege on this website though.

I started this thread because I was being called an asshole for suggesting one could eat a very reasonable, pleasant dinner for $40 at Animal out of the poutine and BBQ pork belly sliders.

Well, now I know I should just report any posts of that nature.

That would be inappropriate and off-topic. People can post about any food anywhere. Somebody’s likely to end up in the same neighborhood sooner or later.

Why should they? You’ve turned this into a “class of people” issue, instead of a “people who like to eat” issue. They are not one and the same. I may not be able to go to Craft for lunch on a Thursday, but I can get there for dinner on a Saturday. This site is for food lovers, regardless of income. It’s not a site dedicated to the upper crust folk. You seem to be having a hard time understanding that, as evidenced by your repeated use of “prole”.

I think it’s great that you have the ability to come and go as you please, and spend your money as you please. But at some point, you have to recognize that you are the minority, not the norm. Most of us can’t just take off and drive miles in the middle of the day to eat something - we have jobs and families and responsibilities. I personally wouldn’t consider a $40 dinner at Animal to be “affordable” either. It’s doable for most of us, but I wouldn’t call it affordable.

I’m on your side of the debate. Guess you didn’t read anything I’ve written. Not sure why you are replying to my post and not someone else’s.

who called anybody an asshole?

1 Like

My VERY Southern mother said that people who used the term “class” didn’t have any. That’s always stuck with me.

1 Like