How best to enjoy Pixian doubanjiang?

Finally got the stuff I ordered months ago. Outside of mapo tofu, what should I try making with it?

I made a sort of sloppy, simplified mapo tofu last night and this doubanjiang is really spicy. I used too much, at least in the sense that it overpowered the yibin.

1 Like

I really like this hybrid, Cooking With Pixian Doubanjiang: Sichuan Sauce for Grilling & Roasting | The Mala Market.
Did you get the Megachef oyster sauce? I sent some to my brother, but I have two and a half bottles of another brand left. If the Megachef is as much better as reputed I may heave brand X and get it anyway.

We haven’t gotten any bok choy or other suitable vegetable in our CSA boxes since the Megachef arrived, so I haven’t tried it yet.

I made this with the MasterChef Oyster Sauce and it was stunningly good. Also in L.A. you can pick up MasterChef at Monsieur Marcels. It really is better than that green bottle panda stuff…

–Dommy!

2 Likes

Lee Kum Kee Premium Oyster Sauce (oyster extractives are the first ingredient) is way better than their cheaper panda Oyster-Flavored Sauce (oyster extractives are the fourth ingredient after water, sugar, and salt).

1 Like

Twice-cooked pork! My favorite Chinese dish.
When I don’t have pork belly on hand, or am not in the mood for the extra step to make twice-cooked pork, I just substitute chunks of pork butt, lamb, chicken, or shrimp.

2 Likes