How has Omicron affected your holiday plans?

We dropped our plans to invite friends over for eggnog and cancelled a family gathering. We’d do things outside but it’s been cold, rainy, and windy and the rain’s predicted to continue through mid-week.

We know a woman with a big old house who always celebrates the winter solstice with a big potluck and caroling. Given the Covid situation, this year she hired a caterer and planned an outdoor event, with guests required to show proof of vaccination and a negative test within the previous three days. Then it was expected to be cold, rainy, and windy, so she scaled things back to an indoor masked gathering for half an hour. Then the day before she and her husband were exposed and had to isolate, so she cancelled entirely.

2 Likes

Spending Christmas alone.

I sat next to my unvaccinated coworker during our company Christmas party during lunch two days ago. Last night, my manager informed me that said coworker tested positive for COVID so I asked my wife to stay away from home until I can get PCR test next Tuesday at the earliest.

12 Likes

My brother’s son tested positive so my Christmas dinner was cancelled.

Now it’s football and probably Sam Woo at home… actually it’s going to be awesome LOL!

8 Likes

That’s terrible news but not surprising. We are spending Xmas alone eating prime rib and lobster.

@Gr8pimpin Sam Woo in Irvine closed for good.

6 Likes

Fast food Christmas crawl!

3 Likes

None whatsoever.

1 Like

Sorry to hear - my company pretty much decided quite some time ago that you have to decide between keeping your job by getting vaccinated or stay unvaccinated and look for a new opportunity

6 Likes

I work from home for the most part but the one time I go in…

4 Likes

So did the one in Van Nuys. It’s now known as Sam Woo Village, but my scouts say they haven’t changed the recipes at all.

I’m doing that now for Christmas Eve lol

1 Like

@moonboy403, so sorry to read about your situation. Wishing you all the best!

3 Likes

I’m sorry to hear that. Sending good vibes and well wishes!

2 Likes

Sorry to hear merry Christmas, hope that it was only exposure and no infection!

2 Likes

Sorry to hear that.

1 Like

I’m really sorry for this, @moonboy. Fingers crossed your test is negative.

3 Likes

Acquaintances followed Biden’s and Fauci’s advice, since they were all fully vaxxed and boosted they went ahead with a big family gathering and all but one now have Covid.

4 Likes

Between Omicron and the rain we canceled almost everything. Did one dinner with 6 friends where everyone took a rapid test before going inside, and took rapid tests to be with a couple family members yesterday.

It’s not a perfect system but since everyone is boosted the hope is that if anyone has enough virus to be contagious it would show up on the test.

Hope you’re well and staying well @moonboy403!

6 Likes

That’s the way to do it. I might ask my company to go that route for the next gathering!

Thanks! It’s been 4 days and I still feel fine and I’m still within 10 weeks of my 3rd booster shot so I’m not too worried.

8 Likes

I am surprised that not more companies require a weekly mandatory PCR test for everybody working onsite.

4 Likes

I’m surprised any companies let unvaccinated employees work on site.

Weekly tests wouldn’t be much help right now given how fast Omicron spreads.

1 Like

I know. We had a Covid outbreak at my Co. last year. Now every outside vendor must show proof of vaxx and the employees either have to be vaxxed or test 3 times a week at their own expense, work solo and aren’t permitted to eat in the employee kitchen. Only one has chosen that route. For the last two years we have cancelled the holiday party and added the savings to the employees’ holiday bonus. The holidays in the time of Covid.

6 Likes