How is the chinese food at 99 Ranch market van nuys?

Service deli? better than panda express? Was over there recently, it looked good.

1 Like

Do all the 99 Ranch Markets have service delis now? I stop at the Irvine/Jeffrey location periodically and haven’t noticed one there, but it’s been a while. I’d be up for that.

I shop there regularly, but have never tried it. Sam Woo’s is next door and I do love their char siu.
There are also two pho places on that intersection so I just haven’t tried the deli.
That location of 99 Ranch has been upgraded seriously in the last few years. In particular the seafood section is great. Sorry I couldn’t help other than I shop there often.

2 Likes

it varies by location; the alhambra location has some pretty good stuff to go, but the arcadia location offers mainly bings.

1 Like

Has anything changed there since the new ownership took over?

Sam Woo VILLAGE takes credit cards now, but wondering if the menu and food is the same.

1 Like

Haven’t purchased there for some time. Only do it when I am making baos.
How are you? Fully recovered I hope! No loss to your sense of taste I pray!!!

1 Like

I’m doing well (knock on wood!) thank you!! I lost my sense of taste at the tail end for about 12 hours. When I get colds, that’s a typical thing for me, too.

But back and my pallet is as crappy as ever :rofl:

3 Likes

So glad to hear you are okay! Salsa and Beer will be happy too!!

2 Likes

It’s not bad you have to be picky about the items you get though. I would say only get stuff that looks good and fresh ie high turnover. Don’t expect gourmet but they definitely pile it on for you cheap!

1 Like

Don’t know if it’s the same but it’s quite similar.

1 Like

I think you’re referring to the one at Culver and Irvine Center. I go to the other Irvine location, at Jeffrey and Walnut, because it’s closer for me. They have just a few items to go…… like char siu bao.

1 Like

Nope, I am a Valley guy. I go to the 99 Ranch on Sepulveda and Victory. Sam Woo is two doors down. The Chinese herb shop between them is where I get tangerine peel and licorice root. Granted it is cultural appropriation, but as James Beard said, “There are three great cuisines in the world, Chinese, Chinese, and Chinese.”

5 Likes

location,restaurant nam? van n sam woo 20 years ago dirty, food like any sam woos

Huh???

3 Likes

The Van Nuys one is the only one I have been to.

I saw that. Sam Woo’s was closed, it was early morning I took my car to be serviced at Keyes Honda. unfortunately, I had already eaten breakfast or I would have tried some of the food from the deli. A lot of older chinese people were buying it.

1 Like

If you hadn’t already had breakfast I would have suggested Nat’s Early Bite on Hazeltine and Burbank. Great baked goods and egg dishes.

1 Like