How to peel hard boiled eggs

Jaques Pepin uses the pin hole.

Kenji Alt-Lopez at Serious Eats debunked the hypothesis that pressure cooking eggs make them easier to peel.

To each their own, but if I boiled my eggs for 14 minutes, no one in my family would touch those chalky, gray-green monsters.

Which is why tea eggs blow my mind. They are still so crazy delicious after being cooked to hell and back.

1 Like

Oh, that’s the part of the rules I fudge also: I boil my eggs for less time.

1 Like

Word.

But. Um. Yeah. Perhaps you have a good tea egg recipe you’d like to share . . .

My experience usually matches his, but not in this case.

Since I’ve switched to steaming eggs I’ve had no problems peeling them.

2 Likes

I did that for years using one of these:

Image result for egg piercer

Got rid of it about the same time as the garlic press.

I gotta try this with my steamer oven. The duck eggs I use for everything are impossible to peel.

I’m envious that you have a steam oven. My old boss had one. She loved it for polenta and risotto. Also, I asked one of the chefs at Campanile how they made such tender scrambled eggs. She told me that the secret weapon was the steam oven.

1 Like

Wow! Must try making scrambled eggs that way! There are so few recipes I can find online for steamer ovens. None, really. I gotta try the eggs, though. I was just at a Korean BBQ place that had delicious steamed eggs!

1 Like

You don’t need a steam oven to hard-boil eggs, just a regular steamer insert.

A steam oven wouldn’t make any difference for polenta cooked the way I learned from Paula Wolfert.

I know that I don’t need a steam oven to hard boil eggs. I’m the one who linked the method using a steamer.

Unless you’ve tried both a steam oven and Paula Wolfert’s recipe, you don’t know if a steam oven would make a difference.

I don’t see steam making a difference in the physics or chemistry.

That’s not exactly the Paula Wolfert recipe I use, which has been 100% foolproof so far. The one in Mediterranean Grains and Greens is 2 cups of polenta and 7-10 cups water, bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes, stir, bake 10 minutes more, remove from oven, and wait 5 minutes before serving.

I use this:

And use one cup polenta and six cups water.

That’s pretty much identical to the recipe Paula Wolfert published.

The ratio of polenta to water varies between 1 to 3 and 1 to 6 depending on what consistency you want. The latter would probably be inappropriate if you want to grill it.

I always want it creamy.

Even for grilling?

I don’t hate it that way but my super strong preference is creamy.

Same here. The pressure cooker is the way to go. 4-6 mins on low pressure