I got $10 bucks for lunch

Honk!!
What would you suggest from the butcher there?
I like getting a small plate of mashed pot’s with a big pat of butter and lots of cracked pepper and a little salt…

For you the butcher will have some special tofu pieces in his backroom - otherwise they have often cuts which are harder to get at other butchers/shop (e.g. bone-in veal breast) and are willing to order stuff (e.g. pork and veal cheeks). Their freezer has also some more unusual wildboar and venison (and the only place to get sweetbreads in SD on a regular basis). I wish they would alsohave foie gras

Keep it in context Honk, ‘lunch for under $10.’

Hmmmmm… tell your DH ‘gentleman start your engines!’

Even for lunch under $10 the last sausage plate at Tip Top Meat was awful - old wilted salad wit horrible Kraft dressing, old fries, one cold sausage, two way overcooked sausages and let’s better not talk about the red cabbage and the sauerkraut (which are both from the glasses they sell in their shop (Hengstenberg brand) and are always awful). No, even for < $10 not good value and won’t repeat again ever

So, I take it that you like Tip Top.

If FN said in his post, the music was nice, I might be concerned.

We agree 100% on the salad.

85°C Bakery Cafe
Raisin almond coconut twists and egg tarts, wash it down with a cup of sea salt coffee

Actually, almost anything there. Great suggestion, although not necessarily the most nutritionally balanced meal for a person with $10 in her pocket.

What the heck is “sea salt coffee”, ipse?

Just like the words say.

Coffee with a dash of sea salt.

Don’t knock if and until you tried it.

Sounds gross, but I’m game.

OK, but does it have to be sea salt? I could try it in the morning with salt from a shaker.

I see.

A salt snob.

I dunno, but I suppose it never hurts to ask.

People do say that I use too much salt…

Truth be told, it’s simply sea salt whipped cream/foam topped coffee, in which you’re suppose to mix them together.

It’s not really salty, per se.

You know how a bit of salt to cookie batter actually balances the sweetness of the eventual cookie? So the taste isn’t flat?

Same principle at work here with the sea salt coffee.

Hey, you didn’t mention the whipped cream part before! I can see it that way.

It’s also amazing how a dash of sugar picks up some unlikely things – in the same kind of way.

Forgive me.

#HangsHeadInSame

Just come up with another of your interesting ethnic restaurant discoveries sometime and all will be forgiven.

Tofu in the backroom…ha!
Do you have to go to Vegas to get your foie gras fix?
Nobody sells it here in SD, in the backroom, like Tofu?

Foie gras has been legal in the state of CA for the past year or slightly less now.

and that’s no fucking joke.

but maybe most joints in SD choose not to serve and sell the goods.

Plumeria has been pretty much hiding in Hawaii the past 6 months or so, I think.

1 Like