I Got Pok Pok Tickets

Hmm, I’m actually not sure if that’s better or worse. On the one hand, having a prixe fixe including a sampling of dishes and drinks is a good way to try out what a place has to offer. On the other hand, a la carte means I could actually go at dinner (wouldn’t be able to do lunch) but not spend as much as $50 (though I dunno what’d happen if you don’t spend the value of your ticket, maybe the tip could go on there).

So when you got your check, how did it work? Was it all charged to the card you made your reservation with, and you specified your tip and stuff?

It actually worked out almost perfectly without tip, which I just added to my credit card at the table.

I am a spice wimp and was able to enjoy everything we ordered…

Went for dinner and i too thought it would be a prix fixe menu. They explained two dishes per person and drinks are included in the ticket, anything else would be extra. Not sure how many drinks were included, i got two and wasn’t charged. Depending on how you order this could be more expensive than ordering a la carte.

I got the fish sauce wings, they had the crisp texture of kfc (korean fried chicken) with a fish sauce forward flavor. The highlight was the boar collar with chilled mustard greens, the greens eaten in between bites of the boar was the perfect balance for the spicy chili, lime, garlic pig. I also got the roasted game hen with papaya salad but was too full to enjoy it.

I don’t think pok pok is head and shoulders over what la has right now but i agree with @wienermobile that pok pok is another great addition.

5 Likes

Great report @wienermobile @PorkyBelly. Looks really good!

Against my usual instincts, I tried a restaurant during opening week. We ordered a ton of food, and most of it was good. I don’t think anyone actually knows how the prix fix works, including Pok Pok. They told us 2 plates each and unlimited drinks. We got 3 drinks each, 3 plates each, and a bunch of rice and didn’t get charged anything.

Highlights:

Boar collar served with iced mint. Shockingly spicy, and a real flavor blast. Real good.

Duck larb. Best duck larb I’ve had in LA, including Lacha Somtum. Nice spice, perfect texture, and a subtle sweetness to round out the sour and spice. Nice dish.

Pork shoulder and pork belly curry.

Medium:

Whole chicken. nice chicken, well cooked and all. But a little too plain of a dish.

Fish sauce wings. These were good but a little too plain. Not enough spice. Needs to be a little dirtier.

3 Likes

Hello haeldaur

My feeling too. It was solid but not (yet, I hope) mind blowing.
The stuff that was good - pork belly, boar, one of the noodle dishes - was very good.
Enjoyed the wings too.
The so-so stuff - Issan Sausage, Catfish, pork larb - seemed a bit toned down, as if they were worried about being as bold as Night + Market or Luv2Eat.

Drinks were stellar. And a good beer selection.

Very big space and lots more on the menu to try.

3 Likes

Agree on the drinks–the tamarind whiskey sour was freakin good, and I usually do not like cocktails.

Sounds fucking dope.

I was indeed there last night. They say 2 dishes + 1 drink per person for the $50pp, but really it’s just applied to whatever you order off the menu. Two of us did order $101 worth of stuff though, so I’d imagine if you were in the ballpark they won’t charge you for going over a little.

As for the food…solid, but not a gamechanger. I liked the flavors of the pork larb, but needed more spice and acidity. Wings were good as expected. I thought the boar was just ok, and it didn’t help that the small portion was $16. Khao soi was solid as well.

Will be back, but I definitely prefer N+M (its obvious comparison). There’s a place for both of these restaurants though, even in a town full of amazing (and cheap) Thai options.

1 Like

I have to agree. Solid, not game changing. The wings werent as good as I remembered. Seemed the heat was toned down on just about everything I tried.

They said 2 dishes per person and unlimited cocktails. I had 3 cocktails

Everyone I was with agreed the n+m is better.

1 Like

Dinner Tuesday night. Food representative of the Thai regions represented. Excellent service. Solid cocktails. Had too many. Great for Chinatown.

Nam Tok

Issan Sausage WIth Chili Dip
Chicken Plate with Papaya Salad

Burmese Pork Curry

Pork Larb complete with cracklings and liver(like more acid, but true to the traditional recipe)

Duck Larb

Herb Accompaniments

1 Like

I cannot say the heat and flavoring was down on everything but certainly on most dishes, I am afraid they are catering to a more delicate palate.
This is the biggest issue so far, I think they are a being a little timid.

And, to be fair, I think this is how farangs get treated in Thailand - with kid gloves.
When I went to Thailand I carried a card, written in Thai, handed to all wait-persons, that read, “Hello. Although my friend looks like a white man he likes his food ‘Thai-hot’. Please make his food as you would for a local.”
And believe me, they did. It was awesome, and really cut through a lot of the Phake Phoreigner supervision one often gets abroad.

I may have to dig up that card for my next PP visit.

3 Likes

hey I want one of those fucked up cards too.

have they posted the fucking menu on line just yet ???

thanks guys.

the tamarind whiskey sour is fucking dope ??? what other drinks are great ???

how far is it from the chego location ??? walking distance ???

The location is at the very north end of Broadway…. almost across from the Phoenix Bakery.
Address: 978 N Broadway, Los Angeles, CA 90012
Phone:(213) 628-3071
Hours: Open today · 11:30 am – 10:00 pm

it is open for regular business starting today ???

thanks wiener.

I believe so…but always call first…

Could be wrong but I thought I saw somewhere they open for general seating 10/26.
They did not seem to be turning walk-ups away - I saw a couple seated without a ressie/ticket.