I have a thing for stews

the korean chicken stew served over sweet potato noodles (and i STILL can’t remember the name of the place but @J_L will) is awfully good. i started using those noodles with various braises at home. but not the following:

braised chicken (preferably dark meat) with shiitake mushrooms & oyster sauce isn’t technically a stew but it’s awfully easy to make and you can go to town on the rice bowl with some of that.

1 Like

That’s all I saw and all I need.

3 Likes

i had a roommate like that. i told him to just pour the sauce onto his tongue. but the chicken & shiitake mushrooms up the ante.

1 Like

I know what you mean. Cassoulet is right up at the top of my favorite dishes. Since I know you cook here is Kenji’s version, Traditional French Cassoulet Recipe. I made it not too long ago, and added some duck confit as well as the chicken. Fantastic, but not visually intersting (my picture of it sucked).

2 Likes

“Stews” are usually something I cook rather than something I eat out. Same with steak. We can cook a great one at home.

BongChu Braised Chicken, SAM…

Pork neck soup from Ham Ji park

Intestine stew from Chosun Galbi (there’s prob better versions in ktown but this is the one I recall)

1 Like

Is there a difference between a “stew” and a “soup”?

I think soup is more brothy while stews tend to be thicker

1 Like

like i said…

I love stews too… Chili is one of my food groups…

Recently I have been obsessed by this Chicken Stew Dish at Northern Cafe in Gardena (Although I think they make it at their other locations. On the menu it’s simply called Chicken with Sliced Noodle. It’s a HUGE portion and lots of dark meat chicken, potatoes, Bell Peppers and Onions. They don’t serve it with a TON of noodles, but they do add that perfect bit of chew to the dish.

Here’s a pic from Yelp…

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/northern-cafe-gardena-2?select=FnGSaQpPIQf9_cCNLF1aUA

4 Likes

Solidarity in Santa Monica does a nice Bigos (Hunter’s Stew) and I am rather fond of the Birria at Monte Alban in West L.A.

2 Likes

Lamb fesenjan at Shamshiri in Westwood!

Edit to add: Bigos at Solidarity in Santa Monica, though I prefer the stroganoff personally.

2 Likes

can you suggest any place with this dish? i’ve never noticed it on a menu at any iv’e been

the @Ns1 approved Song Long. closer to home there are passable versions at fiona (with an outstanding baguette) and little sister.

4 Likes

It’s a Vietnamese standard so most generalized VN restaurants and non-specialized pho joints. Best chances at VN restaurants serving VN people (as opposed to VN restaurants serving non-VN people).

It’s usually served with bread, but when the stew is at the right viscosity it can also be served with egg noodles which is f’n amazing.

Ex) pho 999 off the 405

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/6XxBB4c4tdNy6TmoY7rrWg?select=RrEgKlJvsSH02pFhYz0Sqw&utm_source=ishare&utm_content=photo

2 Likes

what the crap? there’s one by us!!! Thanks, dommy… this may be lunch

Thanks for joggin my memory… Just remembered why Ive been wanting to go to Fiona

6 Likes

i’m going to need that in a bowl, pho999

Egg noodles?!? I’ve ever only had rice vermicelli noodles…methinks my Mom shortchanged me in life.

2 Likes