I want merguez

there is a merguez at friends and family for breakfast and lunch.

Mine was juicy - not dry - but,. I will say, perhaps a little underseasoned (compared to some merguez I have had in Franco-Moroccan places). But I loved it.

2 Likes

Reviving this thread.

Where do you buy merguez from? I donā€™t mean prepared dishes with merguez at restaurants, but like packs of sausages. I used to order from Belcampo but thatā€™s no longer an option. Standingā€™s Butchery has merguez skewers but they arenā€™t sausages in casings which is what Iā€™m looking for. My local Bristol Farms used to have them but apparently not anymore. Same goes for one of the Middle Eastern stores near me. @robert posted his merguez from Sonoma County Meat Co. on the cooking thread, and Iā€™ll probably end up ordering from there but was just wondering if there are any local places that I donā€™t know about. Thanks!

2 Likes

Not sure in your area but in San Francisco and Boston WholeFoods normally had merguez which were good (not great)

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure if he still does it but you can contact Revolutionario tacos (maybe a DM on his IG page), he was making his merguez sausages and selling them by the pound on Sundays, you would pick it up at his place i believe.

https://www.instagram.com/revolutionario.la/

2 Likes

Last time I got some it was from McCallā€™s Meats in Los Feliz. I remember them being in casings and fairly spicy. Try giving them a callā€¦

1 Like

They always have them at Beachwood Market.

1 Like

Iā€™d try Gwen.

https://www.gwenla.com/store-sausages-merguez.html

1 Like

I was getting them from the butcher at this place near Culver City. But I havenā€™t gone to them in a while, during the height of pandemic, I didnā€™t care for their distancing and other measures.

http://westlainternationalmarket.com/index.php

Parking in the back or thereā€™s the lot across the street behind the Baja California Tacos. But make sure you donā€™t park in the lot for Baja California but in the lot further back thatā€™s separated by another fence and next to the apartment buildings.

Watch out for the aisle that is under the birds and will poop on your car.

1 Like

Epicurus Gourmet has frozen lamb merguez in stock. They also have a chicken merguez which I havenā€™t tried.

5 Likes

Thanks for all your suggestions, everyone! Will check out all the places mentioned.

Good looking out! Lol.

Normandie Bakery in West Adams also has some merguez for sale

2 Likes

Do you have an opinion on them? Normandie Bakery is near me but Iā€™ve never been.

While not completely traditional, I like the merguez from Huntington Meats in the original Farmerā€™s Market.

And Iā€™m a huge fan of Epicurus, but the merguez they carry from Fabriques Delices do not in any way warrant a trip to the deep valley.

Fabrique Delicesā€™ merguez is OK but nothing special. Iā€™ve seen them at Whole Foods.

I have ordered from Bristol Farms with a min order of 5 lbs. it was okay and I would order again when needed.

Honestly, I havenā€™t had merguez from enough places to know if Normandie has it any better or not. The bakery itself has a lot of good products they sell, so based on that I would say itā€™s a least worth trying out.

1 Like