I wish everyone would include prices when reviewing places

It seems almost rare that people include prices when they review a place. In my perfect world, it would say just something like “dinner for two was $x and wine was $y.” Just to get you in the ballpark. Is there any reason people don’t?

I have mixed feelings about adding price. On Chowhound it was requisite for me. My thought is that the purpose of these sights is to give as much info as possible, so people can share in your find. I get annoyed when people don’t give at least a street or general area - like it’s some kind of inside thing you have to be in the know to appreciate. I read linus scolding people for using too many acronyms. I don’t blame him/her. I spend a lot of time googling. But live and let live. Anyway, I digress. I stopped giving price unless people ask or it warrants it, like a good or bad value. My reason is FTC is a little more intimate, so I’ve reverted back to my childhood teachings of don’t talk about how much things cost. For some reason I find it impolite here. But I know that’s silly.

1 Like

Wow, that’s an interesting point of view. I don’t feel that way one bit. I also wish we would all give a link to the restaurant (if there is one).

I hope others will weigh in on TC’s comment. Since this site is, so far, quite LA-centric, those of us from outside the area would like some idea of cost. You LA folks likely already have a sense of it.

We travel a good bit and I really have to know kinda/sorta what places cost. I don’t know why anyone would hesitate to speak. But, TC, I respect your opinions.

That’s what Yelp is for. Or Zagat. Or, sometimes, the restaurant website.

Why not here? I might include or exclude a place immediately. And is this a rule here? We’re not supposed to give the prices?

No. Definitely not a rule, and I’m sure there are others who feel the same as you.

I guess if someone is embarrassed to say what they spent then they’ll be embarrassed cause people can look it up. And, btw, who makes the rules here anyway?!?!? :smile:

Except for the wine people. They love to talk about how much they spend on expensive wine. It makes be dizzy.

Not a rule - either way.

As in not required to give pricing, and not prohibited to give pricing.

Most of the time it’s sort of obvious from context, tone, and tenor of the post whether some place is pricey or “budget-friendly.” If one wants specifics, best just to look at the restaurant menu, or Zagat or some other source.

I, for one, do not post prices for a variety of reasons, one of which being that it may make people uncomfortable (myself included). If, for example, you went to a nice restaurant and you ended splurging a bit and spent something like $10000 for two people, you can either come off as (1) bragging and showing off or (2) duped for spending so much. Why inject that aspect of a review in the discussion – i.e., whether the price is you paid for the food was worth it.

Now, of course, that subject is not verboten per se, but just that it doesn’t need to be in every single post unless the OP wishes it to be – e.g. “The $15 burger at ERB is not worth the price of admission.”

But if someone just wants to talk about the food, the experience, and the enjoyment of dining out, who are we to complain?

2 Likes

Great explanation, ipse. Thanks. I rarely run with the big ticket crowd so tend to give prices. And, yes, the wine people are something else. Mostly. If they recommend something I figure I can’t/won’t spend that much. But I’ve gotten good advice occasionally.

[quote=“ipsedixit, post:9, topic:3968”]
If, for example, you went to a nice restaurant and you ended splurging a bit and spent something like $10000 for two people, you can either come off as (1) bragging and showing off or (2) duped for spending so much. Why inject that aspect of a review in the discussion – i.e., whether the price is you paid for the food was worth it.

Now, of course, that subject is not verboten per se, but just that it doesn’t need to be in every single post unless the OP wishes it to be – e.g. “The $15 burger at ERB is not worth the price of admission.”
[/quote]I think ipse hit it on the head. It can open you up to judgement or lead to uncomfortable discussions. I do it sometimes if I feel it’s warranted - e.g. We went to brunch with friends (another couple) at Abigail’s in Hermosa Beach. They have a comfortable setting, their own small brewery, good food & cocktails and you can see the ocean. The bill was about $125 before tip. I thought that was a good value for people looking to take friends out or do a group thing, so I included price. But if we’re going someplace pricey for a special occasion I keep it to myself. Unless asked or it comes up later, like in an argument with Aesthete :grin:

LAUGH. OUT. LOUD!!!

Yes, I see. When we went to Tickets Bar in Barcelona a few years ago I gave the total price because our server came in under the budget I’d given her and also because some people spend multiples of that. Same with Babbo in NYC. We order with budget in mind and have glorious meals. Now that I think about it maybe that’s why I tend to include prices. To let people know that if you order right you can have a wonderful meal with breaking the bank. Nice discussion here for me. Thanks y’all.

1 Like

I know. I’m still waiting for an answer to my question about nice bottles under $100. :slight_smile:.

That may be an inherent problem as to why some people do not post prices, even when (like you) they are trying to help others approach a restaurant in a budget-friendly way.

What is not “breaking the bank” for you may not be for me, or for X poster, or Y poster.

We all have our different comfort zones when it comes to dining out, especially vis-a-vis not “breaking the bank.” So if you find something to be budget-friendly and try to pass that off, while with all good-intentions, there may be those that read that as being rather pompous and sort of oblivious in a “let them eat cake” kind of way.

[quote=“catholiver, post:12, topic:3968”]
Now that I think about it maybe that’s why I tend to include prices. To let people know that if you order right you can have a wonderful meal without breaking the bank.
[/quote]I agree. You know who seems to be good at that? @President_Mochi. He & First Lady Mochi seem to know how to eat at great places in a way that doesn’t break the bank. It just takes a little ingenuity.

That’s true too :relaxed:.

My theory is the same as the old adage, If you have to ask… :wink:

3 Likes

See… Spoken like a true New Englander. We left out cultural factors. Growing up in New England you’re kind of taught not to talk about money. Like if you have to talk about it, it means you don’t have it. And if you do, it’s best not to show it. They can be really puritanical about money, and it sucks sometimes. In L.A. the motto is, If you have it show it. I dig that! But it makes me uncomfortable sometimes too. See? Mixed feelings.

1 Like

I only ask about price if it’s not listed anywhere, otherwise i just look at the menu on their website.

2 Likes

I don’t think I’ve ever used the expression “break the bank” or even implied it. But if someone thinks some place like Babbo is out of their price range and I give them some details, they may decide otherwise. We share multiple starters and have bottom of the range wines.

BTW, I didn’t bold those sentences.