Ideas for asparagus beyond the basics

With two CSA boxes I can’t keep up with the asparagus. We’ve had hot with butter, cold in vinaigrette, dipped in aioli, frittata, gratin with ham and bechamel. What else can I do?

Maybe tonight I’ll make penne or rigatoni with asparagus, ham, and cream.

Tempura

1 Like

Soup…I had a glut a couple weeks ago and ended up making this recipe from Epicurious. It was easy to make, quick and it uses 2 lbs of aparagus, which helped clear out my excess. I liked it and would make it again. Altho’ it doesn’t use them, any herbs that pair well with apsaragus would go well in the soup.

2 Likes

What about some dip of some sort? or asparagus toast?
or

since I’m a Julia Child fanatic

Julia Child’s Asparagus Simmered In Onions, Garlic, And Lemon
4 Servings
Ingredients

• 24 fat fresh asparagus spears
  • 1 cup thinly sliced onion
  • 1/3 cup good quality olive oil
  • 2 -4 large garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
  • 1 lemon, zest of
  • 1/2 teaspoon thyme or herbs, mixture such as italian or herbes de provence 1 bay leaf peppercorn 1/2 cup dry white wine or 1/2 cup dry white french vermouth 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice 2 cups water salt fresh minced parsley
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1/2 teaspoon peppercorn
  • 1/2 cup dry white wine or dry white french vermouth
  • 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
  • 2 cup water
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • fresh minced parsley
2 Likes

That soup looks amazing. This is gilding the lily a bit but I wonder if instead of saving the tips to blanch (as they suggest) you could give them a quick, batter-less fry to have a crispy contrast.

1 Like

Jim Lahey has a lovely asparagus pizza recipe, 'My Pizza' | Cook the Book.

1 Like

Tasty-sounding idea, though it won’t use up much asparagus.

1 Like

Not beyond the basics, but we frequently roast ours.

3 Likes

I could eat boxes just oven roasting or grilling with olive oil until I get some char. My favorite.

Sorry, I’m of no help.

1 Like

I actually just cooked the tips in with the rest of the soup. I think croutons would be better as the crunchy element

Me too. When I can get fresh, local asparagus I don’t need to do anything other than enjoy it…and then stop eating it when it’s no longer local.

2 Likes

It really is so different when it’s fresh. Love the fat jumbo stalks. So sweet.

1 Like

We moved from SF to a semi-small town in OR. Our Saturday market had one vendor who cut it that morning and brought it there. As you can imagine, there was always a line and it sold out quickly. MMM

2 Likes

Love Asparagus in Stirfry. It lends itself to the salty fermented stirfry sauces like Oyster and Hoisin with a kiss of chili crisp.

Cut on the Bias… nice fatty spears… more surface area for them to get nice and chary in the wok…

3 Likes

Oooh, yeah.

Fatty Asparagus is the best asparagus! I perfer these with the classic Hollendaise and Ham combo. Blender Hollendaise. A Steam and then shock of the asparagus, it’s an excellent decadent but still fresh/summer type of dish…

2 Likes

Frittata
Wrapped with bacon and grilled/baked
Add it to a stir fry

1 Like

He said beyond the basics people!