Ideas for Welcome Dinner for Guest Visiting from Osaka

Hi all. My friend from Osaka is coming to Los Angeles (and the U.S.) for the first time and I wanted to arrange a welcome dinner to celebrate her arrival. We are staying in West L.A., but the guests who may join us are scattered from mid-city to the north-east. Some parameters:

Location: Likely mid-city/downtown will be the most convenient (preferably with easy freeway access).
Atmosphere: Casual (she will likely be jet lagged)
Price: Affordable (mains $15 and under)
Cuisine: Any, though I’m thinking California cuisine or American for her first meal, or Mexican. She has no dietary restrictions, though others in the party are vegetarian and avoid wheat.
Etc: Either reservations accepted or not difficult to grab a table for about 6 people with minimal wait on a Saturday. Open until 10p.m. would be a bonus.

I think that’s about it. I moved away from L.A. a few years ago, back for a few months here and there, so I’m a little out of the loop with current options. Thanks in advance!

If your friends coming from the NE don’t mind the drive, something like Javan (Persian) might be a good option. The entrees are more expensive than your posted budget, but the portions are REALLY big (and easily shared).

I don’t know how Japanese folks feel about (or physically react to) Mexican food, but my Chinese relatives might find Mexican food a little challenging…

2 Likes

My neighbors from Japan loved mariachi music and first stop was always La Fonda :slight_smile: one time he even jumped in with the band singing in Spanish.

4 Likes

Oh, another thought. Would Maccheroni Republic work for you? I had a very good visit but only went once. I think someone here posted a more recent visit and only had a meh experience. Meat entrees are again a bit more expensive than what you’re looking for, but I think the pasta dishes should be fine (aside from your wheat-avoiding friend). Definitely need a reservation for Saturday, though (when I went, it was SWAMPED). I think it’s w/i walking distance of at least one Metro stop.

2 Likes

Thank you both for the recs.

I don’t think Javan will be quite central enough (and a family member works at another Persian restaurant so she’ll have the chance to try Persian food while she’s here).

I’ve never eaten at La Fonda. I’ll look into it. A mariachi performance would help create a memorable first dinner, I’m sure.

Maccheroni Republic is a good idea. I’ve wanted to try it out :smiley_cat: I’ll see what their availability is for Saturday once I get a solid head count. Thanks again!

Baldoria (Little Tokyo). Menu here.

3 Likes

Bs taqueria

4 Likes

Baco Mercat

2 Likes

father’s office

3 Likes

Badmaash

Preux & Proper

Black Sheep

Wood Spoon

Beer Belly

4 Likes

Thanks all for the great ideas. I’ll begin to look at menus and prices and make a decision.

I love Baco Mercat the times I’ve been, but I don’t remember it being a cheaper option (will revisit their menu). Wood Spoon has been on my radar for quite awhile yet I still haven’t had the opportunity to try it out. Maybe this weekend will be the time :smiley_cat:

That said, it will likely be easier to go to a spot where I won’t have to make a reservation to be guaranteed a table without a painfully long wait, as my friends are sometimes hard to pin down until the last minute.

Yes, we need more love for Baldoria!

1 Like

You’d definitely want a reservation at Badmaash. Long waits without.

1 Like

Baco might not be a good choice, looking at Yelp there’s a mention of a 90-minute wait on a Saturday evening.

1 Like

[quote=“chinchi, post:11, topic:5393”]
it will likely be easier to go to a spot where I won’t have to make a reservation to be guaranteed a table without a painfully long wait, as my friends are sometimes hard to pin down until the last minute.
[/quote]@paranoidgarliclover’s idea of Maccheroni Republic in DTLA is a good one - if you go early (no reservations). It’s kinda’ in your price-range. A little gem surrounded by the urban-ity that is L.A. If you go, check out the Biddy Mason memorial, between parking lot and restaurant… just a little historical tidbit.

In the Mid-City / Beverly Grove area, Little Ethiopia and Farmers Market Fairfax could be fun and economical. Both good for vegetarians.

If you’re trying to do no-reservations go early.

Have fun!

2 Likes

[quote=“chinchi, post:5, topic:5393”]
Maccheroni Republic
[/quote]They don’t take reservations at all and it can be swamped. But if you go at opening or more toward closing it’s easier to get seated.

1 Like

Little Ethiopia crossed my mind, though the location is a little tricky for those coming from North East L.A. I think taking her to the Farmer’s Market at some point while she’s here is a great idea :smiley_cat:

1 Like

I think Baldoria may be the winner for this Saturday night. Thanks!

3 Likes

Enjoy.

Yep… It’s the right area, completely in your price-range and menu looks tasty.

And @J_L

3 Likes