If you want fried chicken, get thee to Pizza Romana

Screw the white meat haters, I adore all parts of the chicken, especially so when treated with a little care and precision.

I think I like the breast more than the tenders to be honest with you. But, yes, the tenders are crunchier (a bit spicier) and most importantly, the easiest to dip into that tarragon/ranch sauce.

Oh, and sidenote, these tenders are true tenders in that they are made from the “tenderloin” of the chicken. Not just strips of any old random part of the breast.

1 Like

Damn, I am not used to tenders being good so I ignored them, I wish I had known!

Sorry to be retarded, but can someone explain exactly how they save so much money by not having someone come take your order at your table?

They seemed to have 3 guys behind/at the counter that would run people their food anyway. Surely these three guys could go to the tables and take orders? What cost does that incur? A special type of massive tax? Or can you pay employees that don’t go to tables, but only deliver food to tables a different, lower minimum wage? Or is that actually the legal line between being forced as an employer to give the servers health insurance and other stuff like that?

It must be a cost-saving measure, since it almost feels like it makes no sense. It actually looks so much like a table-service restaurant that I sat down like an idiot for a while before they told me to go order at the counter lol

I am just very curious what the specific way the restaurant would incur a huge cost from having the guys already standing around waiting to run food to tables just go get the orders would be.

Appreciate a specific explanation if anyone can provide it.

So do I. Juicier. Plus I think the balance of spice to chicken is better.

Hey now, at least buy me a drink and chat me up before doing that.

2 Likes

Respectfully (and I do mean it: I respect Ipsedixit for so many things he has written over the years, and all the things he does for this board) but I strongly disagree.

Thought the “Best Fried Chicken Ever!” was, perhaps, the worst thing I have eaten in ages.
But then, I tried the pizza, which was even worse: middling crust, lousy toppings. [So, I suppose, the chicken isn’t even the worst thing I have (now, sadly) eaten in hours.]

Chix has one of those thick “helmet” crusts (shatter-batter) that doesn’t cling to the meat at all (it falls off the moment you try to pick a piece up, or - should it last that long on your piece - when you bite into it) and is just some salty, crunchy flour with an immoderate amount of a banal cayenne-type burn. And, below that awful crust, was a thin layer of, what seemed like, under-cooked skin. The whole purpose of frying chicken is to meld the crust/skin/meat into a beautiful whole, that is more than the sum of it’s parts.

Maybe it is a Mary’s chicken, but if the crust/skin/meat sucks, why fry it? And the “tenders/white meat only” is, to me, a big deal. None of my three guests thought the tarragon/ranch was tasty at all.

Ordered some broccolini which was just stems and a few pieces of sliced garlic. Brussels sprouts were barely cooked,

Very nice and helpful staff. Feel bad for them.

I’m totally stealing this description lol.

Feel free - I did. Truth-be-told, it was my girlfriend @LouisianaMouth’s coinage. She doesn’t post as much as I do but she “punches up” some of my slipshod writing, from time-to-time.

1 Like

I really sorry to hear about this, @CiaoBob.

I can’t to the other items, but I’m guessing your just have more Fried Chicken Fu than I do.

No apologies needed.
I am always willing to try one of your suggestions - you have steered me right so often. Hell, just the XO sauce from Corner Beef Noodle in El Monte is enough to preserve your lifelong rep in my book.

Maybe that’s what the fried chicken needed.

2 Likes

Pop-up/food truck idea waiting to be hatched.

2 Likes

I’m surprised there isn’t more of this type of mashups at Smorgasburg.

2 Likes