"I'll Have What Phil's Having" on PBS Tonight

i did, and i don’t.

if you’re truly poor AF, you ate steamed rice, stir fried vegetables, pickles, and some eggs+ground meat on good days, or some scrappy mackerel/belt fish. or the same shit mixed into some noodle. I’m assuming the vietnamese/chinese/korean/thai renditions of this are all just as equally pathetic.

who the hell could afford Sizzlers? apparently Choi’s OC suburban not-so-poor fam.

That’s the exact point though, as that episode pointed out - Sizzler was the fancy go out and celebrate meal.

The other days were spent eating white rice and Vienna sausages.

I get it. Y’all hated the episode. Something about different strokes.

I like the show . It’s his weird facial expressions that bug me .

I get it. My family went there when I was a kid. But I still find it absurd to hail it as the height of cuisine in LA.

The episode never claimed that.

By including it in the episode it is implied. When he visits other place in the show he eats at the best possible places in the city. He Copenhagen episodes literally all about Noma for example.

You telling me that by including papaya king in his NY episodes it is implied that Bourdain feels papaya King is the height of cuisine in NYC? Cuz that’s the logic I’m seeing you try to apply.

Going back to the LA episode am I really supposed to believe Bourdain feels the same way about Jollibee?

1 Like

i watched all the phil shows, and didn’t like them all that much. a little of him
goes a long way; too much mugging. i never really learned anything or thought
about anything while i watched it or after, something i can’t say about even “bad”
bourdain programs.
i guess i may be out of the demo, but that’s always been an excuse that’s made my
butt clench.
a show is either good or it isn’t.

and, unless you’ve met him and talked to him extensively, i’m not quite sure how one
can tell what he cares or doesn’t care about money wise.

2 Likes

I would say yes. I mean maybe it’s more iconic than best but I legitimately think Bourdain thinks Papaya King is the best hot dog in NYC. Plus that’s his hometown, he’s allowed some comfort I guess. But I do think he was holding it up as being the best in it’s category at least and an iconic NYC food.

Are Sizzler and Jollibees iconic LA food places? :confused: to me that’s what his episode implied.

Otherwise Idk what he was doing? He never cared where poor kids ate for a nice meal with their families in any other city in the world…

#sizzlerscheesetoastrules

That’s all I have to say.

1 Like

actually, Bourdain’s show is based on places in the context of food. When he goes to someones house and they make him dinner, is that considered the best food in that country/city? Or the one where he ate the raw animal intestine when it was offered to him when he was visiting a village? ( i forget all the details) The whole LA episode was more of doing things in LA with David Choe (artist) and Roy Choi. He liked Jollibee’s in a weird sort of way but he never mentioned it as one of the most iconic or best places to eat in LA.
Did you see the episode where they burned all a mountain of confiscated cocaine? That has nothing to with food, he goes to a country or visits people and makes a story or narrative of that. He has done episodes of pure “foodie” places or “iconic” type places but his show isnt always about the best or iconic food places in a country/city.

2 Likes

Usually when he eats in people’s homes it’s because the best food is made in people’s homes in the places in the episodes I’ve seen.

Yeah there’s politics mixed in often… But what’s political about Sizzler?

What was the story of LA? Poor people barely getting buy forced to eat at shit chain restaurants as the height of their lives? What a fucked up story to tell… Is that really what LA is all about?

i believe the LA episode was based more on K-town and 2 Korean Americans and how they lived and grew up in LA during the riots and how their upbringing affected what they do now.

7 Likes

Oh, I dunno. I really liked the episode, and I’ve only been to Sizzler once! I really loved they way he presented Los Angeles. Not something you could find on other shows or guidebooks or websites.

4 Likes

Chezzy Toast!:grinning:

1 Like

you have every right to think what you want about bourdain and his t.v. shows, but in my opinion, in this hot doggy case (and the one below where you are discussing the eating in people’s homes) you’re drawing
conclusions without any concrete evidence.

that sound you hear is the clanging of the irony bell.

In the Tehrn episode he literally says the best food is in people’s homes. Then interviews people as to whether that is true. Hen goes to eat in people’s homes.

How much clearer could it be?

Really? Such as? Legitimately curious which places you’re thinking of. Assuming not Sizzler and Jollibees and you were being sarcastic…

You draw poor conclusions bro.

2 Likes

I gave quite a bit of evidence for my conclusion, you have given zero for any others. So I’ll stick with mine.

1 Like