I'm a Chef Who Walked Away From a Dream Restaurant. Here's Why

People walk away from great job offers everyday . It does read like a sob story .

He was miserable before they closed Alma in 2015, but he makes it sound like life has been pretty sweet since they reopened at The Standard a few weeks later.

The “dream restaurant” in the headline was a new project. He realized he was letting his ego steer him toward the same mistakes so he backed out when it came time to sign the lease.

Instead, it looks like he allowed his ego to steer him to pen a first person op-ed piece and get it published. My cynicism is an extension of being privy to that ridiculous (and unsuccessful) crowd-funding campaign. As a cautionary tale, I don’t think the piece holds up very well. I would appear that Mr. Taymor enjoys having his woes placed under a spotlight.

3 Likes

some of the chefs that have struggled are super sympathetic to the piece and are loving it… others that are successful are seeing it as weak… for me it’s unnecessarily public, but i’m an extrovert too so whatever to that… what is most interesting to me is why original Alma failed despite accolades.

I’m a firm believer that most of the michelin star places and ones working as hard as they can on getting a star (you know… swirl and foam places, with very highly conceptualized and produced 2 bite plates) are destined for failure, especially given that the citizenry has less and less money to spend… the rich folk aren’t plentiful enough to go there twice a week, being busy friday, saturday is never enough… I think part of that is due to what I feel, it’s special, it’s beautiful, it’s interesting, but it’ll never leave me craving to go back, because it doesn’t connect to the things in our programming (really good traditional food)… and if I, someone food obsessed feels that way, how many normal people are going to be rushing over to take those two bites after hearing an 8 sentence description of the dish.

we want comfort, and nourishment, and a big buz, and a selection of interesting but equally importantly satisfying dishes

1 Like

y’know, reading the misguided and pretentious criticisms of this piece and its
author sets my asshole aflame even more than usual.

if you don’t like a piece of writing, that’s fine. but judging the author on why
he wrote it and why it was published is just bullshit.
and if you’re going to say you dislike a piece of writing, maybe
start with the words on the page and not the author.

let’s remember anyone HERE being critical of the author and this piece of writing
enjoys privilege countless millions, maybe billions, around this fine globe do not.

in other words, maybe the folks in the gulag might think ill of this fellow and his supposed travails,
but, um, i think they’re too busy shivering.

sheesh.

Thank you for articulating exactly what I find appalling about the uncouth over-sharing culture that television and the interweb have unleashed upon the modern world.

(I am stealing that phrase.) :kissing_heart:

3 Likes

Eat your broccolini. There are starving children in China.

My friends and I have created a character called Lord Overshare who provides waaay TMI but with a classy British accent!

3 Likes

Hey, it works for bonnie Prince Harry. :wink:

1 Like

she said, oversharing.

haha. Complaining of oversharing on a website devoted to posting the minutiae of one’s meals and thoughts on said meals. Rich indeed.

6 Likes

But we do it anonymously (relatively speaking). Nothing’s real when it’s anonymous!!! :slight_smile:

Says he of the meaty farts! :wink:

2 Likes

It’s not personal problems and angst. Just a genteel shudder and a comment on society. :roll_eyes:

Politics, money, illness, familial problems are topics best kept to oneself. As this is food board, discussing food ad nauseum is to be expected.

Ari Taymor is a figment of his own imagination. A week after he was anointed his Best New Chef award, he was invited to cook at a charity farm dinner that I attended. He walked around the farm like he owned the place grabbing produce at whim followed around by his minions including “phenom” cooking teen sensation Flynn McGarry. An entire lamb was slaughtered and prepared for him to cook as well. What happened? He started too early - had no flippin clue what he was doing- burned most of the animal and the rest was inedible. What a waste. Whats worse, the dude and his minions left early and a world of mess (and waste) behind. This guy is lucky to have a job today and knows damn well he’s not capable of running the show,…spare me the violin play!

3 Likes

So does that mean that anyone who is privileged in any manner can never be critical of people who are of equal privilege or greater privilege?

But if they are too busy “shivering” how will anyone have time to be critical? Based on your statements it only seems the least privileged can be critical but they have too many things to worry about. Since I have air conditioning I guess I must stay quiet and everything should remain status quo!

In response to the article, I found it to be quite self-indulgent and over the top. Definitely made me feel like the author has a bit of a god complex.

2 Likes

whats better than whining about someone else’s “whining”?

lets enter the thunderdome! competing we have person a) telling his experiences in the restaurant industry and how its affected many parts of his life and persons b) bitching about the temerity of writing about it.

i know who’s walking out with the moral victory on this one.

Well what about someone else “whining” about people “whining” about a person’s writing? Do they get double moral victories!?!?

1 Like

I’m glad he found some peace for himself.

1 Like

to quote kurt russell in ‘tequila sunrise’:

you’re predictable, hal.

p.s. at least i own it.