Imperial Cuisine of China Arrives in L.A. - Is This Really What Emperors Ate? Bistro Na's (Na Jia Xiao Guan) [Review]

David, have you tried the chow fun at Nomad Asian kitchen in Long Beach? They advertise their chow fun as having home made noodles, and the Yelp pictures do look good…

Haven’t been to Long Beach in years since I typically head to Cerritos or Lomita for Chinese food if I’m anywhere in the area. Sounds like a real find! (I do think those are wheat noodles, though.)

Have you tried Ruiji Sichuan Cuisine in Lomita, by any chance? If so, thoughts? Thanks.

No, but I’m glad somebody took over the old Harbor Palace location.

1 Like

Comparison for what? Zha Jiang Mian is not part of the Imperial Cuisine menu.

An indicator of how the restaurant compares to others serving the same dish.

That’s like ordering salmon at Morton’s to see how Morton’s qua steakhouse compares to other steakhouses.

Not under that name, but:

Or are you saying more generally that zha jiang mian was not served at the palace so shouldn’t be on the menu? That seems likely to me, though I still haven’t found any very solid information on what should be. This is a sufficiently obscure subject that this topic now shows up at the top of most of my Google searches looking for more information (even with verbatim results).

Yes

Who or what defines the gamut of imperial cuisine? I can’t find any authoritative-seeming discussion.

Colette Rossant’s “The World in My Kitchen” refers to a school set up by the government after the Cultural Revolution that was staffed by former palace chefs. Maybe the modern version of imperial cuisine is less about history than about whatever the graduates of that school ended up serving.

1 Like

Thanks for the write-up.

I wouldn’t mind being the “Imperial Make Sure It’s Not Poison Official Taster”

Eat a big dinner, maybe hook up with some Imperial princesses.

But then there is the whole poison food you have to deal with.

2 Likes

Been there. Had the Chao Shou (Sichuan Wonton) and the JiaJangMien. The menu listing and pricing are similar to Sichuan Impression, but the quality is nowhere close to that level.

The wonton’s texture and taste make me feel like I am eating supermarket dumplings. The Sichuan chili sauce lacks nuance and the wonton meat is not fresh.

All aspects of this place feels like a money laundering operation.

1 Like

Ugh. I figured it wouldn’t be very good. Thanks for the info! I guess I’ll settle for the new DTF in Torrance when I’m craving dumplings and such and am feeling too lazy to drive to the SGV.

Where do you go for Chinese food in Lomita? 0-0.

Btw, if you happen to be in Lomita, may be you want to try Lucky Number 1 Chinese Restaurant. A mom and pop place striving for authentic Taiwanese cooking. Some of the ingredients are imported from Taiwan, e.g. vermicelli and dried shrimp.

Chinese Imperial Cuisine (both for the officials and the guards) is more of a mindset akin to a pedigree defined by a certain canonical culinary paradigm. Much like Japanese kaiseki or European haute cuisine.

For a place like Lomita, there’s actually quite a few Taiwanese-centric options. Aside from Lucky No. 1, there’s Sue’s and JuJu Shine, as well as Peter’s.

1 Like

So meaningless.

Didn’t know about Ju Ju. Looks promising, definitely will give it a try.

baidu.com has some info for the Imperial Cuisine, but all in Chinese though.