In LA’s Chinatown, New Restaurants Face Sharp Opposition on Social Media From

I am going to come out ahead and say the article gives too much legitimacy to this CCED group which only represents a very small portion on Chinatown.

Disclaimer: I own PRD in Far East Plaza.

Another disclaimer: I am Toisanese (the people who happened to literally build this Chinatown), and my family has been a part or around Chinatown for over 3 decades.

My opinion: They are just being angry at difficult to control problems which plague all of LA not just Chinatown. Gentrification and unaffordability is not unique to this place, and at the end of the day most of Chinatown was abandoned by the people who built it.

20 Likes

Thank you for sharing your perspective. I was curious what you thought being in the trenches in Chinatown.

1 Like

So was I.

I was going to post this with the :eyes: but didn’t want to come in off the top rope too much. Because it seems like many of the businesses like yours (@JLee) and others like Endorffine, Lasita, and Sesame to name a few have Chinatown and the community’s best interests in hearts and minds.

3 Likes

If you were to actually engage with CCED they offer no solutions. Their ideal Chinatown is one where all the elderly people and their businesses survive unthreatened but thats a fantasy. The future of Chinatown needs to modernize and bring with it the legacy businesses but they need to put in the work too because we can’t drag them into the modern era against their will. There were many details left out which I will address on our own social media. Again I don’t want to impose my view as the only one unlike CCED whose mentality is my way or the highway but use your own mind and talk to people on the ground level and you will see that its not the gentrifying doom the way they paint it.

12 Likes

LA Chinatown started dying decades ago when the San Gabriel Valley emerged as the magnet for Chinese Americans and other Asian Americans. When was it when I started to feel uncomfortable in Chinatown after dark? 30 years ago? 40 years ago? How many years did Chinatown go without any new construction? There was no way Los Angeles was going to remain a vibrant, complete Chinese community. It’s revival has been awesome and to paint that revival as being something bad to my mind takes a distorted view of the world.

16 Likes

It’d be great if people who have been around Chinatown before most of these CCED kids were born spoke up and shared their thoughts. In the article they dont even talk to anyone over 40.

3 Likes

Agreed. Total lack of understanding of the history of LA Chinatown by those folks.

6 Likes

Weird that they attack small neighborhood businesses by name but rhen expect to remain anonymous.

4 Likes

Working on a modest blogpost which I hope to finish later today if I can work on it.

Yeah, this bothers me a great deal. They call out businesses in pretty juvenile ways on social media (at least as described by the Eater article) but won’t say who they are. It’s bizarre. And, TBH, cowardly. And how does opening a “fancier” restaurant result in residents’ access to healthcare being reduced (unless the restaurant took the place of a low-cost clinic, which I kind of doubt is the case)???

I used to go to Chinatown a lot w/ my parents in the 1980s (we stopped going once the western part of the SGV became what it is now), and, I’m sorry, but I believe that it was pretty dead until the last few yrs. It used to be such a busy and vibrant place, and I’ve really enjoyed seeing the renaissance that’s been occurring recently (although it’s still nowhere close to what it used to be, although obviously one may perceive things very differently as an adult than they did as a child).

One of the people quoted in the article used to go to Chinatown w/ her parents (so, as far as I’m concerned, may know nothing more about Chinatown’s history than do I) and another might only be familiar w/ the Chinatown of the past 20 yrs. No offense, but WTF do they know about Chinatown’s history (b/c I feel that I personally don’t know much about it)? Fetishizing a location by wanting it to remain inorganically static is just as objectifying (and possibly damaging) as gentrification, IMHO.

@chandavkl: I hope you post a link to your (possible) blog post here. Same for @JLee with your own response(s).

6 Likes

I wonder how old these CCED volunteers are and what sort of work and business experience they’ve had.

Grandparents. Her parents were probably shopping in the SGV by then!

1 Like

Not sure if this is the absolute final version, but the article is up here.

11 Likes

One just interesting point out of this too was:

Jack Benchakul, the co-owner of third-wave coffee shop Endorffeine that opened in Far East Plaza in 2015, recently began donating monthly to CCED.

Kind of like paying protection money to the mob?

5 Likes

Well more precisely the Joe Boys.

Yes, my thoughts exactly! Rather disturbing, IMHO.

Yup, I was thinking the same thing.

to be fair, Jack thinks their mission statement aligns with his beliefs about protecting old people and legacy businesses in Chinatown but their methods are not completely in alignment with him. Whether his donations are a form of political protection? I can’t say but I dont blame him for playing the game as a small business owner.

6 Likes

Their social media callout and childish approach of drawing devil horns on the owners of the wine shop, along with the overall amateur hour graphics and language used isn’t particularly endearing. Heck it’s not even edgy provocative activism. It comes across as a bunch of temper tantrum throwing toddlers.

6 Likes

Actually have we already forgotten when all the restaurants had to play ball with the Wah Ching?

1 Like