In search of burrata in L.A... Best sources?

Hi gang,

I would like to procure a wonderful burrata to accompany my backyard tomatoes and basil. As always, Thanks In Advance!!!

3 Likes

burrata pugliese at felix, but forget about the inedible north american pasta.

4 Likes

The fresher the better with burrata. Maybe call Gioia and see if you can still pick up at the factory

5 Likes

Second gioia. They are still open but only on Monday and Thursday for walk ins. They recommend you call and make sure they have what you want before going. I have never had a problem getting burrata.

4 Likes

Gioia and DiStefano are the favorites amongst restaurants in LA/OC. And conveniently, they are both locally made.

3 Likes

Pro tip. Gioia makes Bristol Farms house brand burrata. It’s identical down to the tub.

It’s my favorite in terms of body and flavor. It’s great for tomatoes and there will be enough left over for the following day to have on peaches… grilled especially!

11 Likes

The Milk Farm carries wonderful burrata. I believe it is Giotta. You can get a wonderful grilled cheese while you are waiting.

2 Likes

I only mess with distefano even going hard since covid, erewhon usually has it.

Little waygu and pesto linguini w burrata topping cooked up last night

11 Likes

Beautiful plate of food!

1 Like

Burrata’s all about freshness, and Gioia’s is fresher than anything you can get from Italy. A16, an Italian restaurant in San Francisco, has it air-freighted every morning.

Not burrata but better than almost all burratas you can get here:

1 Like

My go to is DiStefano from my local Gelsons. Super creamy, always satisfying and very convenient as I live walking distance to one.

FWIW, I tried burrata and fresh mozzarella all over Puglia and didn’t think it was any better than the good local stuff we have here.

3 Likes

If anyone knows if Bubalus Bubalis is available anywhere, that would be my favorite.
They had their own water buffalo locally and they moved to northern california at one point.

Barring that - distefano is fun.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tips!

It’s great to see you back on the board, Jerome!

Thanks!