In Search of Crisped, Flaky, Buttery Croissants - Croissant Journey at Chaumont, Maison Giraud, Bouchon, Proof & Pitchoun

haha I guess you have. Wayfarer down in SD is another spot with a lovely shatter on their croissants if you’re ever down there.

Thanks! Happy I found this place.

2 Likes

For Los Angeles, this is my one love :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: SUI Croissants

For San Diego… I used to lived there after moving away from SF. Croissants at Izola is my ideal type (after testing everything we have in that lovely town). The key is they use my favorite pastry butter*
IZOLA
(619) 289-8358

**Izola got a lot more famous these days and often sold out. Order online for pickup and enjoy the fresh baked one there with live music on the weekend. If you are looking for a dinner spot around, Callie restaurant is a block away with free parking and is my favorite spot in SD.

*Isigny Sainte-Mère butter - Beurre D’Isigny AOP: Our Pastrymaking Butters - Isigny Sainte-Mère
beurre-tourage-aop

Beurre D’Isigny AOP is a butter pastry sheet made of unsalted cow’s milk in Isigny, France. It is made by churning some of Isigny’s best creams. These are creams which acquire all their flavor notes and organoleptic qualities during a vital stage in the production process: the traditional slow maturation period. The 1 kg butter sheet is especially adapted for pastry chefs who want to add a unique and exclusive touch to their croissants. It is just the right shape and ready to use. Its extreme malleability allows it to be rolled, folded, and turned for the perfect result. This product will help you obtain a croissant with a light and airy texture, as well as a subtle and inimitable scent and flavor of fresh butter. This smooth butter’s origin is protected by the AOC (Appellation d’Origine Controlee). One pastry sheet, 2.2 lb/1 kg.

15 Likes

:croissant::croissant::croissant:
Everyone has different ideas about success and happiness. Low-key biking around Paris, nerding on croissants for science could be an idea. I like this guy. Maybe it’s time for the next move :face_with_hand_over_mouth: Anyways, I enjoyed this short tonight :arrow_up:

*proofing a single croissant for breakfast tomorrow :two_hearts: Warm & crispy bites will be perfect for the rain :umbrella:

2 Likes

My daughter picked up two croissants from Laduree bevery hills.
Unexpectedly plain and pistachio were excellent, some of the best I tried in LA.

2 Likes

They have an excellent palmier, it was unexpectedly the tastiest palmier I can recall. The sugar was slightly scorched which gave it a pleasant toasty sugar butter flavor.

Chaumont. Perfect even mid afternoon

7 Likes

No Laduree/Chaumont bang bang??? :wink:

Did not cross my mind ugh. Next time!

has anyone tried this:

1 Like

It is not quite clear to me from the article: do we get the croissant at the chocolate factory or at Seed Bakery???

1 Like

from CAR- the chocolate factory. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just stopped right now. As I entered, someone exiting said, “Hope you’re not looking for chocolate.” The place was swamped, and they had NOTHING. Even the cardboard display boxes were totally empty. Holy cow.

2 Likes

wow, the Eater influence in this case is impressive.

Had you ever been b/f the Eater article? Has it always been this busy?

I live nearby. While I’ve never actually been in there, I’ve driven by and never noticed a line before. Since the article, there has been a constant line wrapping around the corner.

5 Likes

I might have some horrible pictures from a month ago. Very nice croissants. Have tried the plain, chocolate, Turkey/ham/cheese, and pesto ricotta pastry.

Using great ingredients. Beautiful shards. However, it’s almost too delicate. The texture could use a little more resistance. Perhaps it needs a little more protein in the flour.

Also, the savory flavor profiles evoke Panera. Good ham & cheese probably not enhanced by turkey :turkey: and good ricotta might be paired with something other than generic pesto.

The almond and chocolate :chocolate_bar: almond are unicorns. They only make them with day olds, so if they sell out, no almond croissant :croissant: :woman_shrugging:t2:.

It’s on the end of the other end of the spectrum from the Artelice croissant :croissant:. Wish I could compare with SUI, but have yet to try.

Looking forward to seeing how CAR :croissant: develop over time.

4 Likes

Car is right next to my office so I ventured over. Really enjoyed it. I like a delicate crunch on the exterior with an airy yet buttery interior and they do a good job. Maybe slightly less crunch would be ok. But every croissant seems different there on display so might be some consistency issues?

I enjoyed it more than SUI. Went to Chaumont the day after out of curiosity and enjoyed Car more as Chaumont is a bit dense for me, but still good.

And yeah - Car’s chocolate croissant is so damn good cause their chocolate is really good. Slightly green and peppery.

8 Likes

Didn’t get a pic of the uncut, but don’t recall it looking like this:

Photo credit: EaterLA

Very delicious despite the croissant’s tenderness.

8 Likes

What’s the 3rd pic of?

Is this CAR?