In Search of Golden, Crispy, Delectable Fried Chicken - Farmshop, Pann's, Jim Dandy, Huckleberry, The Brentwood, Republique, Honeybird, Howlin' Ray's and more!

My fastpass value just went up.

4 Likes

But you can still order on postmate… so why waste a fastpass. I will use mine once they close out the online ordering.

Good point. I guess you could do the old deliver next door to PRD and bang bang. Forget who came up with this idea.

We live in the OC so been waiting for in person ordering and eating to come back.

2 Likes

Howlin’ Ray’s has a pickup option on Postmates. so you can order ahead of time and just pick it up. i don’t know how the new situation is going to work out with them opening walk ins again. Are they going to cancel the Postmates pick up option? it would make sense for them to keep the pick up option so the lines wont be as crazy as before.

1 Like

I’ve only had HR one time pre-pandemic. The 2 times I had it via delivery/pickup, while it was still very good, it was nowhere near what it had been during that first visit (VERY steamed and soft during the first visit, kind of steamed and partially soft during the 2nd). Not sure if simply packing the order at all was the issue, since I vaguely recall that we took one item to-go during our very first visit, and it was still (almost supernaturally) crunchy 1-2 hrs later.

I don’t want to wait in a gigantic line, but I do wonder if (and hope that) the product will return to the same lofty heights it was at pre-pandemic, when in-person ordering returns.

Or, of course, maybe I’m just idealizing memories of my first trip there. :wink:

3 Likes

Go Go Bird in the Citizen’s Public Market in Culver City is my new favorite fried chicken.
Crunchy and juicy with great sides and they serve beer n wine.
Best chicken tenders ever.

Got some more photos from last trip

12 Likes

Welcome to FTC.

Just walked through Citizen’s for the first time a few wks ago. Partner said the coffee place was quite good, and they do their pastries in-house (I think).

1 Like

Thank you.

GoodboyBob is a fantastic coffee place in Citizen’s Public Market, I also recommend Jolly Oyster and WeHo Sausage Co. for some good eats, the mex and pizza I found lacking. There is also a bar on the roof. there

GoGoBird has beer and wine too ($20 bottles)

Has anyone ever been to Holdaak? @ipsedixit mentioned it in another thread and I just saw a location on Van Nuys Blvd at Sherman Way.

They have 9 locations from Northridge to Orange.

https://holdaak.com/

1 Like

Yeah, I had the burrito and it wasn’t good. Chicken seemed on an acceptable level but the sauce was way too sweet and heavily employed. Maybe the burrito wasn’t the right move so I won’t dismiss them out of hand

1 Like

The chicken sandwich and wings at the one in Fullerton were very good.

1 Like

Willie Mae’s ghost kitchen is opening tomorrow at the Colony near the 405. Full-service restaurant in Venice to come soon, permitting issues have delayed it and they’re getting impatient so they pulled the trigger on the takeout/delivery option.

1 Like

Is Willie Mae’s any good?

1 Like

Had in Nola a few years back, very good but I wouldn’t say life changing. It’s wet battered, so the crust is pretty thick if that’s your thing.

1 Like

Ooh, I had never thought about crust thickness. I am actually probably a thick-crust person. The Colony is really close to me, so potentially “very good” works just fine for me (I did not like Main Chick much at all).

3 Likes

Main Chick is pretty good I think! Kind of formulaic but not expensive and hits the spot IMO.

Ok, I got regular bone-in chicken from Popeyes for the gazillionth time and my impression is always the same…

I just don’t get it.

I don’t understand all the love. The spicy is not spicy at all, it has zero flavor other than maybe salt. The texture is great and the location I go to always serves fresh hot juicy chicken. But… yeah… no.

The chicken sandwich I love the bread, pickles, sauce on the spicy and thickness of the breast. But the chicken is such a blank canvas, emphasis on the word, BLANK.

2 Likes

Kentucky FC is the best FF fried chicken sandwich. The only thing I hate is at the one near me they always act like it is such a hassle to get me extra sauces even though I am willing to pay

1 Like

Get red beans rice. Eat chicken on top of red bean rice. Eat red bean rice with chicken chicharron. 3pc wings is great for this purpose. Also they used to do a 1.99/2pc deal on Tuesday which skyrocketed the QPR

3 Likes

The fried chicken wings at Nathalie Thai at Pico and Robertson are surprisingly good. They are stuffed with silver noodles, mushrooms, & cabbage, then deep-fried. Very flavorful and tender.

2 Likes