In Search of Golden, Crispy, Delectable Fried Chicken - Farmshop, Pann's, Jim Dandy, Huckleberry, The Brentwood, Republique, Honeybird, Howlin' Ray's and more!

Hi @Chowseeker1999 & @Gr8pimpin - We had these in December. Wondering how they look compared to the first roll out and the current iteration. IMO the bun is a problem, but then again the bun is always a problem for me when it comes to a Fried Chix Sandwich.

2 Likes

Double double

10 Likes

Yes! :slight_smile: Thanks for the reminder @J_L. That makes the line much more palatable. :wink:

1 Like

Hi @TheCookie,

Thanks. That looks decent, you can see the first pics I posted during the initial rollout. The December one looks a bit greasy, but at least you had some Chicken meat there. See the last pic I posted in the Popeyes section above. It was probably like 40% the size (and smashed badly) of what you had there (and terrible, total salt bomb). :frowning:

For Buns in general, wait till you try the fresh-baked Housemade Brioche Bun from Pastry Chef Zoe Nathan and her crew at Huckleberry, and Pastry Chef Margarita Manzke’s Poppyseed Brioche / Pan de Mie Bun. :blush: And Howlin’s is just soft and a great match for the crispy-crunchy goodness. :slight_smile:

1 Like

One of those bad days . Just get out of the way

1 Like

Hi @moonboy403,

Wow, lucky! I had no idea you could get a double! LOL. :slight_smile:

Wait, is that yellow oozy stuff cheese?

Bun is different now. When I got the sandwich in the original roll out, the bun looked very similar to the photo it wasn’t flattened it held its shape it was actually really good… I was surprised. Now… new supplier?

This guy sums what is different. I think he’s dead on.

2 Likes

Yes, now you’re talkin’. I don’t like potato buns and overly starchy buns.

1 Like

I was thinking that too. Road rage can take control of even the sanest people.

1 Like

Ask and you shall receive. That’s what I love about HR. They personalized my Chicken Tenders! :blush:

2 Likes

Remember Bill Murray saying Don’t drive angry .

3 Likes

They were closing shop and assembled these monsters and insisted that I need more protein and take one to go for free! That’s after they already gave me a free sando, free drink, free extra fries, and free pickles. :rofl:

That’s their comeback sauce.

6 Likes

You gotta go to Louisiana Fried Chicken on Manchester.

I found them like that after the second rollout, when things were crazy busy. But as @Ns1 pointed out, they were sitting under heat lamps. Now that things have calmed down, I find the batter to be normal, not hard, and the sandwich is much better than it was when there were long lines. YMMV.

2 Likes

Thanks @Luluthemagnificent. Do all Louisiana Fried Chicken branches share the same recipe? I’ve tried one before years ago, and found it just OK, but not the branch on Manchester. Thanks.

1 Like

It’s a funny thing with born & bred Angelenos and their fast food Fried Chicken. My husband swears there are specific locations that are better than others. I was skeptical because it’s all the same recipe… then I had Popeyes in Whittier. It wasn’t prepared as well, the fry wasn’t as good and it actually did taste different than La Brea/Jefferson.:thinking:

1 Like

Popeyes is easily the most variable fast food place I’ve ever experienced, even within the same location.

2 Likes

I mean it depends on how much the minimum wage worker in the back cares. As a teen I worked at Roy Rogers cooking their chicken. I would have to take the chicken out of the fridge, dredge the pieces in the flour mixture (there might have been a batter step as well), let them rest for a set amount of time, then place them in the pressure fryer for a set time. Any deviation would make different chicken which is why fried chicken is so much harder to make consistently than other fast food.

7 Likes

This. Same with McD.

5 Likes