In Search of Lunchtime Pasta, from Disappointing to Excellent - Knead & Co., Pasta Sisters, Cento Pasta Bar, Bulgarini, Factory Kitchen and Drago Centro

even with good uni, uni pasta shouldn’t be that watery IMO. gak.

1 Like

I liked the 2 pastas you had at Local as well as the Brick Chicken.
Agree that the noodle on the pappardelle doesn’t have much chew but I don’t expect that from fresh papardelle - it’s too wide and flat to be al dente.

1 Like

Hi @attran99,

Thanks. :slight_smile: Hope you get to try out some of these places.

1 Like

Hi @CiaoBob,

Yah that Cavatelli was pretty tasty. :slight_smile: Good point about a fresh Pappardelle.

And thanks again for the rec on the Chicken Under Brick. :slight_smile:

Does Bulgarini make pasta throughout their business hours or only sometimes?
The times I have been - usually after dinner somewhere in SGV - they do not appear to be in Pasta Making Mode (though I admit - as I am usually stuffed to the gills with Chinese food - I never inquire about the pasta). I say this because there is usually one person, maybe two, who seem like gelato servers not pasta makers - but maybe I am not vetting them extremely enough.

Hi @CiaoBob,

Yes, they serve Pasta at anytime throughout their business hours.

And as you noted, most of the times they only have 1 or 2 people working. They’ll start the pasta order and manage to serve others for gelato.

If you want to make absolutely sure, call ahead, and also let them know you’re coming in for pasta; should be fine.

2 Likes

I’ve just walked on in and asked for pasta. Leo will work the gelato, and his assistant will handle the pasta. I need to go in for the pistachio gelato…but I’m stuck in soccer purgatory this weekend.

1 Like

If Leo is in, and you ask, pasta WILL appear…

1 Like

If Leo is not in, I just leave.

That’s too bad about Pasta e Pasta since I walk by it somewhat frequently. I might pass on trying their mentaiko pasta.

The einkorn bucatini from Gjelina looks so perfect! It’s a funny coincidence since my favorite pizza from Gjelina Take Away had that same combination of ingredients: nettle, chili, garlic, and Parmesan.

Thanks for experiencing the high and lows of pasta in LA for us, @Chowseeker1999. I always appreciate your extraordinary efforts.

3 Likes

How does this Japanese chain compare to Spoon House in Gardena (if you know)?

Hi @ipsedixit,

Hm, it’s been too long. We stopped going to Spoon House because I thought on our old board, people said it was on downhill alert? Or is it still the same?

From a few years back, Spoon House was better.

Thanks.

Guess I’ll just keep slumming it at Cafe Hiro.

Surprised you didn’t like Macheroni Republic. I think it’s fantastic. Their bolognese is some of the best I’ve had. Surprised you didn’t go with that one as it’s their most popular dish. I really feel that if they didn’t have such a cheesy name, they would be doing a lot more business.

Hi @tailbacku,

Yah, we were looking forward to it, but the 2 dishes we got were just OK. The waiter said that the Agnolotti was their “best dish” and was rather pushy, but it was our first time and we went with it.

If it wasn’t undercooked, I think it would’ve been pretty good.

I’ll keep in mind the Bolognese next time. Thanks. :slight_smile:

Hi @MaladyNelson,

Thank you! :slight_smile: Definitely give Gjelina’s Einkorn Bucatini a try. It’s so good! :slight_smile:

Thanks for the info on GTA’s Pizza! Do they offer it every day?

1 Like

Thanks for the reminder on Cafe Hiro. What are your favorites there? :slight_smile:

The plum paste spaghetti with oba mint and the “Hamburg” steak.

Yes, I know. I am a dork.

3 Likes

Sadly, I think it was a seasonal special, @Chowseeker1999. Since they’re serving the pasta version, perhaps they’ll have it on their menu.

1 Like

Is pistachio season over? Wondering if it’s worth it to try to make the schlep tonight.