In Search of Lunchtime Pasta, from Disappointing to Excellent - Knead & Co., Pasta Sisters, Cento Pasta Bar, Bulgarini, Factory Kitchen and Drago Centro

Bring your own.

That bad, huh?

I honestly don’t know, but I don’t believe he charges corkage, so why wouldn’t you bring something very good and share with Chef Avner? That’s what we did and had a blast.

3 Likes

Oh darn. I would love that but it’s not that kind of lunch. :frowning_face: Just a quick break from spending the day at Good Samaritan with my aunt, then back.

2 Likes

Excellent lunch at Cento Pasta Bar in DTLA.

House Red or White Wine
We had red. It tasted like a cabernet or blend - fruit, tannins, hint of cinnamon, nice compliment to the bolognese.

Bread, Burrata, Olive Oil, Crunchy Salt
Chef Avner served the bread with a “Tear it with your fingers. The knife is for the cheese.” Yes, Chef. @Bookwich described it best ”Crusty and light and chewy. A beautiful example of a baguette. It was served on a pool of fruity olive oil, with a sprinkle of finishing salt on the milky, delicate, superb burrata. Excellent sourcing of ingredients.” Indeed.

Gnocchi Bolognese
Excellent! light, not dense, flour gnocchi, cooked fresh & served hot with the perfect amount of luscious beef gravy. I topped it with a small dollop of the light, creamy burrata. This dish was my first Best Bite of 2020. :heart:

Gnocchi, Sausage, Swiss Chard & Fennel
I’m not a fennel lover, but this dish was so good. My cousin took one bite, her eyes rolled-up and she said “This reminds me of Italy”. :heart:

Beet Spaghetti, Goat Cheese, Poppy Seeds, Chives
Such a pretty dish, described by another diner as very good if you like beets. I do, just maybe not sweet pasta. I only had a bite and can’t completely assess. My vegetarian sister loved it. :slightly_smiling_face: I would like to try it again.

We weren’t sure what to expect when we walked in. It was moody & kinda’ dark, with boxes of wine piled up against the walls, eclectic art, a bit shambly, definitely not gussied up. A few downtown denizens quietly eating and a loud potty-mouthed rapper on the sound system, later replaced by The Weekend. No menus, just Chef Avner informing us of the days offerings. He was distracted and gruff when we arrived and I thought “Uh oh… I got us into this”. But I trust FTCers and had faith the food would save the day. It did. While sipping wine and watching him cook it all made sense and the surroundings became Cento Pasta Bar’s charm.

We were the last customers of the day - Chef was cool. He loosened up and even came outside to chat with us while we waited for a Lyft back to the hospital. It was kind of a rollercoaster day and the meal, the conversation and unpretentious setting was just the salve we needed.

Happy Lunchtime Pasta Eating!

14 Likes

What a great review. I felt like i was there

2 Likes

Awww… thanks @aaqjr!

I’m so glad you liked the food! It’s kind of an interesting space, lol, but I really like it. I’m sorry Chef Avner was grouchy, he’s always been really kind and friendly, maybe a bad day for some reason. :frowning:

Best wishes to your sister.

2 Likes

Thanks @TheCookie. :slight_smile: Glad you enjoyed your visit. I really like Chef Avner’s Bolognese so I’d be eager to try it with his Gnocchi next time. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, same here, he’s been so delightful

1 Like

Thanks @Bookwich!

Chef was really cool. He wasn’t grouchy or rude just not happy to see us, at first. :smile: He might’ve been tired or it might’ve been slow and he was hoping to close early, idk. It’s hard to predict moods. It was just an initial awkwardness. But he got in the game and was really nice to us and sweet to my cousin who he could hear was going thru a lot with her sick mom. He cooked a great meal, the wine flowed and he came outside with us to continue the conversation. So, yes, Chef Avner is a mench. I’ll be back.

It’s interesting to find the least L.A.ish restaurants like Cento, Woodspoon, etc. are now in DTLA. :heart:

3 Likes

Hi @Chowseeker1999 -

I’m starting to get over my gnocchi aversion which I always equated with dense, starchy, heavy. L.A. pasta chefs are mastering it and it’s a whole other thing now. :heart:

1 Like

you meant light and fluffy like a cloud!

1 Like

That’s exactly what I mean now. :smile:

1 Like