In search of sgv recommendations

You might try Mian, which is a sister restaurant of Chengdu Taste that focuses on noodles. It’s on Jonathan Gold’s 101 list. I have not been but hope to visit soon.

My go-to for Sichuan when I don’t go to Chengdu Taste and Sichuan Impression is Yun Chuan Garden on Garfield. Although it’s a hybrid Yunnan/Sichuan restaurant, the Sichuan dishes taste authentically Sichuan to me. The biggest thing it has going for it is the wide array of pre-prepared cold dishes, which you can order by sight.

Looks legit to me. I’d have a hard time believing that sushi isn’t excellent given the appearance.

Hi @MyAnnoyingOpinions,

Hope you like Raku. :slight_smile: What @PorkyBelly said. But just for fun…

• Any of their Housemade Tofu dishes (Raku Chilled Tofu (with Ginger, Herbs), Oyaji Tofu (Chilled with Housemade Takana Pickled Greens (awesome), some heat / spice and other goodness), Agedashi Tofu).
  • Popeye Salad or Ken2 Salad.
  • Stewed Pork Belly
  • Juicy Deep Fried Asajime Chicken
  • All their Yakitori (Grilled Chicken Skewers).

Note that they use Asajime Chicken, which is dispatched that day. You might notice a (good) distinct poultry, real chicken-y taste (vs. bland, mass produced Chicken we’ve come to think of as “Chicken”).

• Tendon Skewer - so good!
  • Intestine Skewer
  • Pig Ears
  • Kamameshi (Off Menu) - Iron Pot Rice with Salmon & Ikura
  • Sashimi - MUST GET.
  • Yellowtail Belly Grilled (ask for it)
  • Niku Jaga (Specials Menu sometimes)
  • Foie Gras Chawanmushi
  • Foie Gras Skewer - Grilled over Binchotan Charcoal.
  • Takana Inari
    and much more…

Sake selection is fantastic.

Here are some pics:

Enjoy. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Assuming you’re referring to what also went/goes by the name of Yunkun Garden, it used to be a regular place for us in the pre-Chengdu Taste/Sichuan Impression days. i think our last meal there was this one, four years ago.

And thanks for the reminder re Chengdu Taste’s noodle restaurant.

That restaurant (Yunchuan/Yunkun Garden), now known as Yunnan Restaurant, has always had solid Sichuan fare, which I feel is somewhat underrated. With the caveat that I haven’t been for a while, Shu Feng Garden was also very good too, and also underrated.

Mako sushi in Little Tokyo is excellent.

http://foodtalkcentral.com/t/mako-sushi-little-tokyo/5369

Yunnan Restaurant has always been pretty mediocre. Time has most certainly not washed that away.

It’s like the Shau Mei of Yunnan/Sichuan restaurants.

(And now they can’t even make decent 過橋米線. Sigh.)

Foie gras skewer

1 Like

any recent reports on Chuan’s?

Korean-Sichuan in KTown!!

a friend just jokingly recommended that. has anyone here been yet?

Well, as always, taste is subjective, but I’ve always enjoyed the Sichuan dishes there (of course, we’re well aware of your feelings about Sichuan food :wink: )

Granted, I thought it kind of bland. So, who has a good version in the SGV? Or are there any?

Without doing a search, I believe it was CiaoBob here that tried out various items at Chuan’s. Maybe he (or others) can chime in. He and, IIRC, one other FTCer liked some of the dishes, while others here kind of gave it mixed reviews at best, to weak on some items. Several weren’t impressed with the quality to price ratio. So, some here liked, some here didn’t. I know, that’s real helpful as well as a real surprise :grin:

For what it’s worth, I tried Mian today and didn’t like it. I got the cold Sichuan noodles. The sauce is basically the same as the sauce that comes on the mung bean jelly noodles at Chengdu Taste. I just don’t like that sauce; I find it bitter and unpleasant – probably due to the abundance of Sichuan peppercorns. I also didn’t think the homemade noodles were special; they had no texture and a bland taste. I strongly prefer the homemade noodles at Xian and Shaanxi Gourmet (and, for that matter, at Peking Tavern in DTLA).

I don’t recall there being much written about Mian her over the past year. Early reports were positive, but there were some negative reports or possibly a downhill report later.

Was just there.
Still a fan.
Sad that they got rid of the Sichuan Mask/Opera show.
Food is still very, very good - if a bit pricier than others - and they have booze and allow carry ins (I cannot fully enjoy Ma La without beer).

3 Likes

Don’t forget to get Boba!

for complicated family reasons we don’t need to get into here, our christmas day plans will not be clear till a day or two before. what’s at the intersection of “a place in the sgv worth eating at” and “not impossible to get a table for 4-6 at around noon if we call on the 23rd”?

the last time we tried to eat in the sgv on christmas day without a reservation we barely got into chang’s garden by the skin of our teeth. would rather not play roulette again.

Not sure any place would require much less take a reservation for the 25th, or any day. Even Chinese New Years.

Chang’s is great, incredibly popular and SMALL.
Hence your problem.
I don’t think the majority of the places in SGV have that problem. Sure, Chengdu taste has a line, but few places I know require a game of Russian Roulette.