Instacart versus Amazon Prime Now versus Mercato

I think I achieved the same effect by taking the tuna I had in the house (Wild Planet Skip Jack) and dumping copious amounts of Sambal Olek on it. I just ordered some more Sambal Olek on Amazon. If I had a bigger kitchen, I would have ordered the gallon container of it since that is more economical but I contented myself with two 18 oz. jars.

However, I would definitely like to do a taste test between the Korean tuna with Gochujang and any old tuna with Sambal Olek. Maybe someone can educate me on the flavor profile differences between Gochujang and Sambal Olek ā€“ I know both are spicy, but Iā€™m not sure if I should prefer one to another.

1 Like

The canned tuna that Chang recommended was Korean.
What Japanese canned tuna have you tried? I prefer the Japanese canned tunas to ours.

Iā€™m not sure what the brand names are since the cans are pretty much all in Japaneseā€¦ but they come in little cans, sometimes stacked in packs. I believe I have tried all the different ones they have at Tokyo Central and Mitsuwa, which I figure isnā€™t many different brandsā€¦ But in all fairness, most Super Market Tuna in the U.S. isnā€™t that great eitherā€¦ but I just got a distinct cat food like vibe from the Japanese stuff due to the stronger flavor of it (and I donā€™t say that lightlyā€¦ I was a manager of some big cat food brands.)

2 Likes

Sambal is going to be more sharp in flavor. "fresherā€™ and vinegary bite. Gochujang is going to be deeper in flavor, maybe a little sweet in some preps. You would never make a soup by stirring a spoonful of Sambal (which I love!) but you can do that with Gochujang.

ā€“Dommy!

2 Likes

Katyā€™s is amazing! One of the highlights of our trips up there. Love the fresh smoked scallops too (and of course the salmon).

Yes! Their smoked salmon is the only one I will eat. I have a really bad reaction to all salmon! My tastebuds wonā€™t take it and Iā€™ve triedā€¦ and triedā€¦ and triedā€¦

Trididad and that who beautiful area is worth a visitā€¦ I canā€™t wait to get my tuna! :slight_smile:

Sambal Oelek is a simple puree of fresh chiles, salt, and vinegar. Huy Fong adds a couple of preservatives and xanthan gum.

Gochujang is a more complicated concoction of rice, soy, barley, Korean chili powder, and salt thatā€™s fermented for a few months.

1 Like

Saw this amazon prime worker in Brea loading up her Civic with 3 absolutely full to the brim carts. There were bags of groceries in every orifice of her vehicle. Be kind to these delivery people. I saw her flying around Whole Foods with all sorts of provisions. Even the undercarriage of the carts were full of stuff.

14 Likes

I just got an email from Erewhon promising delivery in 90 minutes! You order direct on their website. Perhaps they have geared up and hired their own delivery people since it seems astonishing that they can deliver in 90 minutes.

Iā€™ve always thought Erewhonā€™s sushi was one of the better supermarket sushi, although its pricey and with sushi sort of being on ā€œdiscountā€ now from places like Shunji and Kiriko, doesnā€™t seem worth it.

Speaking of pricey, Iā€™m awaiting a delivery theis morning via Mercato from Beverly Hills Cheese Store. Everything at that store seems priced through the roof, but on the happy side I ordered very late last night and it is supposed to be here soon and according to my final receipt, I got exactly what I ordered, which I think is probably easier to fulfill with a small specialty store like Beverly Hills Cheese Store than when your Instacart shopper goes to a large supermarket. New Zealand grassfed herb and garlic butter coming my way. How could I pass that up?

1 Like

I think I now understand why The Cheese Store of Beverly Hillsā€™ prices seem so obscene (even by standards of pricey specialty shops). It seems like Mercado is marking up products - like vastly marking them up.

I ordered a jar of hard to find Italian honey. Mercado charged me $26.45. But it came bearing a price sticker of $16. How is that possible? That over a 60% markup. I thought maybe the sticker was a mistake, but I just went directly to the Cheese Store of Beverly Hillsā€™ and the honey is listed for $18. It seems like the pricey jar of tuna I ordered for $23, is $20 on the store website, which at least is only a 15% Mercado markup.

By the way, the pricey tuna (Ortiz Bonito del Norte Tuna in Olive Oil) wasnā€™t worth it even without the markup. I had heard that was an amazing brand of tuna so I wanted to try it, but I just had it for lunch and I actually prefer the vastly cheaper Wild Planet jarred tuna.

1 Like

Yeah, Iā€™m starting to think the only thing I liked about Mercado was the name and they deliver from unusual places and the perception that they are the little guy. But they donā€™t do what they advertise, use 3rd party delivery services and now this. So whatā€™s the point? Iā€™m sticking with Postmates for deliveries.

P.S. I think Wild Planet Tuna is boring. :wink: I much prefer Geisha for regular store-bought. Love the Ortiz. Itā€™s salty but actually tastes like fish. I even save the oil for cooking and salads.

1 Like

If you think Wild Planet is boring, you definitely wouldnā€™t have liked this Ortiz Bonito del Norte stuff. It had no taste. Itā€™s claim to fame is that unlike the cat food mash you get with most canned tuna, these are big meaty fillets, which was true, except they were big meaty tasteless fillets. Before trying it today, I almost ordered a case of 30 from Zingermanā€™s ā€“ the pandemic is making me crazy and believing that it would be a good thing to have 30 cans of tuna at home for when the food system completely collapses ā€“ but now Iā€™m glad I didnā€™t because the Ortiz tuna is just not worth the premium it fetches.

1 Like

Funny!

It IS what I get. Me likes it!

I mean, itā€™s canned tuna so Iā€™m not sitting up at night craving it, but itā€™s definitely my favorite right now and Iā€™m looking forward to my 8-pack delivery.

Edit: I tried but I do not like Tonnino at all.

2 Likes

I was wondering if the Ortiz in cans (which is what Zingermanā€™s was selling) is different ā€“ and better ā€“ than the one in the jar that I had today. Maybe a different species of tuna?

Thatā€™s the kind of service you can expect when paying $20 for an apple

3 Likes

Lol I wonā€™t even tell you how much that Coconut Cake Cost! Youā€™re definitely paying for the service.

Hmmmā€¦

Itā€™s been a while, but IIRC the canned Ortiz seemed to be a bit more flavorful than the jarred ā€“ not by a huge margin though. My favorite is (canned) ASdoMAR from Portugal, and Ortiz comes in second. Wild Planet tastes like cat food to me. Just my opinion.

3 Likes

I went to the Ortiz website and they have like 20 varieties of tuna - some in cans, some in glass jars, some extra virgin olive oil, some regular olive oil, some no salt and some other differences I could not discern. I thought the tasteless stuff I got might have been no salt, but I checked the label and it was salted. It was in regular olive oil, not extra virgin, but I canā€™t believe that would be the difference between tasteless tuna and flavorful tuna, but maybe.

Some varieties of tuna are much milder than others, no question. And I imagine even on the same fish, some ā€œcutsā€ are milder than others.

But yes, salt could make a difference, as would water-packed vs olive oil.

2 Likes