Instacart versus Amazon Prime Now versus Mercato

So after a perfectly ok Ralph’s delivery experience a couple weeks ago did them again this morning and placed an order for ~$350 of groceries…and received one bunch of bananas. LOL

2 Likes

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: Covid-19: Ideas and Strategies for Shopping and Cooking

I know you are disappointed, but at least you didn’t get a bunch of crap you didn’t order.

Did Ralphs/Instacart impose the minimum $9.99 delivery fee for that one-item delivery? I have just placed large orders to amortize that $9.99 fee over many items. $9.99 raised the cost of a $50 order by 20%, but a $200 order by just 5%.

1 Like

Fair enough. Anyway, we used Yummy and, while prices are a little Erewhonish, got delivery within a couple hours of placing the order. Pretty impressive.

4 Likes

I just checked - Yummy doesn’t deliver in Van Nuys.

We got a refund, but yes.

1 Like

This “we’ll deliver when we can” business is weird. For example, I supposedly have a 25-lb. bag of all-purpose flour coming sometime between tomorrow and Thursday, but I may run out in the meantime. And then it may not show up at all.

Just read about this delivery service on Eater.

Had never heard of them, but they are in L.A. as well as New York and are branching out into supermarket deliveries.

2 Likes

Amazon Prime Now very annoying. Running low on La Croix and wanted to restock but they limit you to delivery of one or two 12-packs of each flavor (and I only like the plain unflavored, so I was limited to two 12-packs). I usually try to order $35 worth of goods to escape the $4.99 delivery fee, but when I saw they were actually offering delivery dates for tomorrow, out of inertia, I just clicked buy and sucked up the $4.99 delivery fee. We’ll see if anything actually gets delivered.

But this is the first time in two weeks or so that Prime Now actually had delivery dates. Of course I checked - no toilet paper, no bleach and no tissues, or I would have put those in my basket to try to reach the minimum amount to avoid a delivery charge.

Wish I could kick my addiction to La Croix and then I wouldn’t have to worry about this, but a pandemic is a hard time to kick old habits. One must have one’s little pleasures and I like the fizz of La Croix.

Watching your Instacart shopper at work is kind of suspenseful. Got the mayonnaise. Got the chocolate. Will we get the flour? Will we get the charcoal? Stay tuned!

4 Likes

God damn it, no charcoal.

1 Like

25 lbs. of all-purpose flour! GOOOOOAAAAAAAL!

3 Likes

Damn bots. Sneaker releases, beer releases, grocery calendar spots, nothing is sacred anymore.

2 Likes

I just split a 50 lb bag of flour 3 ways. Crazy amount of flour.

I bought a ten-pound bag on the 25th and we went through it in less than four weeks.

Just had a good experience with Mercato customer service. After waiting over a week for a delivery spot in New York, I got my receipt this morning only to find that without contacting me, Mercato had substituted $36 of a product we can’t use. Not happy about that, but I called the Mercato customer service number, got through almost immediately to a rep and she issued a refund.

The rep explained that Mercato, unlike Amazon Prime Now, does not have a box to check for no substitutions and you have to put it in the Note section for the order. Sigh. But at least getting a refund was easy peasy. But now I have to try to hunt down the product somewhere else in New York, get a delivery date, etc.

I think Instacart must be trying to make things more efficient by having its shoppers fill multiple orders at once. Today it took two hours to get eleven items.

Definitely multiple orders. I texted her at 5:30 asking when to expect delivery and she said she was in the parking lot and I was the first stop.

That’s going to be fun in the summer.