Instant Pot - Questions, Techiniques & Results

Can that not be ‘treated’ with nonstick?

Got any brand recommendations? As someone who did not grow up with corned beef, my first attempt at corned beef & cabbage using store bought ingredients was less than successful.

Possibly, just possibly, taking the widespread internet advice of stocking up on the cheap stuff come St Patty’s Day was not in my best interest.

1 Like

Last night we ate some Snake River corned round I got at Costco. I prefer the texture and fattiness of brisket, but it was tasty. Did not soak, cooked in the Instant Pot in water to cover, meat and broth were seasoned just right as were the potatoes and rutabagas I cooked separately in the strained broth. Carrots needed more salt so I put them in a small container with broth and a teaspoon of salt.

Risotto is not only possible, but perfect in the Instant Pot. I sautéed some onions, shallots, garlic, and wild mushrooms in butter on the Sauté function. Added the rice to toast for a bit, and used some white wine to deglaze the pot. Added the stock and set it to high pressure for 6 minutes. Alas, 6 minutes was a tad too much. I think 4 will achieve an al dente rice texture. Added the cheese and some frozen peas. Next time, I’m going to add some lemon juice/zest to give it some acidity. Not bad for a first try.

8 Likes

Hard-cooked eggs:

Put 1 cup water in pot and up to a dozen eggs on the steamer rack.

Steam 3 minutes at high pressure.

When done, shut off “keep warm” and let sit for five minutes.

Release pressure and put eggs in cold water.

These are super-easy to peel, even if they’re very fresh.

1 Like

I’ve been doing eggs this way for a couple months and it’s so easy! Perfect for egg curry and deviled eggs. I’ve also been doing potatoes in my IP - 12 minutes at high pressure with 10 minutes NPR. Perfectly cooked every time and ready for all my potato needs (usually Indian)!

1 Like

Corn Risotto.

Not the best photo, but it was good.

2 Likes

Wow! How did you do it, @Bookwich? There’s a special on corn at Sprouts this week, and I may want to follow suit.

How’d you do the risotto in the IP? I made corn risotto the other day too, but I made it on the stove with all the fun stirring…

@boogiebaby I have risotto notes up above.

1 Like

Serious Eats has a number of pressure cooker risotto recipes. Here is a link to the latest, Pressure Cooker Corn Risotto Recipe

1 Like

Can’t wait to try the risotto this weekend- I’ve only ever made it the traditional way. One of my friends brought me an Instapot as a host gift for Thanksgiving.

2 Likes

How nice! I need thoughtful friends like that in my life. Hope you have as much fun with it as I have.

2 Likes

I cheated a little for dinner tonight, and wanted a complete change-up from holiday food. Made rice in the IP, then cleaned it out to make chicken tikka masala. I had chicken thighs and the Trader Joe’s Masala Simmering sauce…added a little salt and pepper and had cheater chicken tikka masala in about half an hour.
Adding to my laziness, I sous vide haricot verts and asparagus separately so I wouldn’t have to wash any additional pots.

1 Like

Picked one up at Target the other day…you know you go to Target to pickup a few things and the next thing you know there is a Instantpot sitting in your kitchen
right next to Up Up Target brand stuff.

I’m thinking simple stews/braises to prep for work lunches and post workout meals.

The possibility of making some Northern Pho, Taiwanese Beef Noodle Soup, Hu Tieu Nam Vang, Bun Bo Hue, etc is exciting.

2 Likes

Do note that the saute function on the IP is pathetic! :expressionless:

1 Like

I only use the sauté function to brown/sear meat before a braise.

It takes way too long to do that when I tried it especially since I needed to sweat my mirepoix after. My IP actually needed a rest before I was done sauting since it went past the 30 mins mark. :rage:

Nowadays, I do all the searing and sweating with my dutch oven before I dump everything into my IP for braising. It’s one more pot to wash but it browns much better and faster.

Sorry to hear that. It works well for me. Glad you found a solution.

1 Like