Instant Pot - Questions, Techiniques & Results

Why? I use a stove top pressure cooker for polenta frequently. The result is excellent and lighting fast. I haven’t used the IP for polenta, though I’d imagine it’s not too different.

I cook polenta in the dish I’m going to serve it in.

That’s cool. I cook polenta in 10 minutes.

1 Like

https://www.vietworldkitchen.com/blog/2019/01/instant-pot-sweet-and-sour-pork-recipe.html?fbclid=IwAR0nyYjAx2NK0Aet85ilz3c3-7IlrhmtyeuJlMLpZK0BORou03I8rQPhGl8

Chile Verde and Cheese Enchiladas
I started with frozen chicken thighs this afternoon, and shortly after I had chicken and cheese enchiladas with the help of the Instant Pot and a couple of pantry items.
The frozen chicken thighs were cooked on High Pressure for 20 minutes with chicken stock, leftover pineapple-salsa verde, and seasonings. After a natural pressure release, I then thickened the cooking liquid with a corn starch slurry using the cooking liquid on the Sauté function for a few minutes. I shredded the chicken in the sauce, and then spooned it into corn tortillas sprinkled with quesadilla cheese mix. I rolled them and topped with more cheese and salsa verde from Trader Joe’s. It took about 20 minutes in a 350 degree oven to melt the cheese and meld all the flavors.

4 Likes

Just found this thread (and I’ve had an Instant Pot for a whole (gasp!) month!

The best summary of an instant pot versus a classic pressure cooker came to me today, from a high schooler who had, in Home Ec, worked with a traditional pressure cooker with 6 of his classmates, recently. As I explained the IP controls etc, he thought and said “Oh. So it’s more like an appliance and less like a bomb.”

YES.

Also, I’m fan girling to quote Andrea Nguyen, but to sum up her post below, the power is “You can walk away from it. Safely.” And I agree, what was the biggest draw for me.

https://www.cookinglight.com/cooking-101/resources/why-buy-an-instant-pot

1 Like

I took an Asian dumpling class from Andrea a few years ago and she’s a hero of mine. If she says it I listen.

1 Like

Instant Pot on sale
Normally $99.95 on sale for $69.95

2 Likes

I made yoghurt and was so impressed with it, I’ve made it three more times.

Some I drained to thicken and flavor, but I always make sure to set aside a jar of not-drained yoghurt for doogh.

3 Likes

+1. We’re totally loving the Instant Pot yogurt. Super easy, @SpockSpork will make it w/ a tiny amount of half and half, being able to strain it to your preference is wonderful, and the taste is really good.

We create a batch of plain and then flavor to our own taste.

2 Likes

I’ve been making whole milk and/or LF yogurt in the instapot as well and add collagen powder to up the protein content.

Coconut milk yogurt was a fail tho’ and cost wise, not worth it to experiment so I’m sticking to cow’s milk.

Made an instapot version of David Lebovitz’s Orbit Cake (flourless dark cho cake), oh so good!

Question: Any tips on how to remove odors from the silicon ring?

3 Likes

You pull it out and wash it thoroughly. Wash the lid under where it mounts. If this doesn’t work you’ll have to replace it, https://instantpot.com/portfolio-item/sealing-ring-color-2-pack/. Plus if you replace it you can get it in fancy colors.

1 Like

I’m not sure about coconut milk and instant pots specifically but Chef Michael Skye’s recipes are a great resource I’ve been using for vegan versions of things like dairy products and more if you ever want to try again. His techniques are head and shoulders above other vegan substitutes I’ve seen and even though he doesn’t share his recipes online the facebook group is very active and he answers questions very frequently.

I have tried the soy milk yogurt from his Cook and Let Live book and it worked really well.

1 Like

just got one of these today. What to make? I’m so excited. Thinking about Beef Stew.

1 Like

Red wine braised short rib…but do all the searing and sweating with a dutch oven on stove top. The saute function on the instant pot is worthless…

3 Likes

We’ve also enjoyed a version of this dish. What recipe are you using? Your looks way better than ours. :slight_smile:

No recipe really.

• Brown well seasoned short ribs on all sides
  • Sweat mirepoix and add a large pinch of salt
  • Add garlic and sweat
  • Add tomato paste and cook till it darkens
  • Deglaze with red wine
  • Add in stock and herbs of your choice
  • Dump everything back into instant pot and cook on high pressure for 45 to 60 mins
  • Fish out short ribs
  • Strain braising liquid
  • Reduce liquid in a sauce pan like crazy and season as needed
  • Mount sauce with butter
  • Add short ribs back into sauce pan and glaze with sauce
  • Plate short ribs and rain down chopped parsley
  • QED
3 Likes

Oh, okay, yours looks way better b/c you do way more work. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Instant pot is very good with lots of recipes. We particularly like for chili, roasts and butter chicken But agree 100% with @moonboy403 the sauté function is useless.

1 Like

I’m ignorant on this piece. I agree that with my slow cooker that I like the results better when I ‘brown’ first. If that’s true with the IP then what’s the advantage over a slow cooker. And I usually use my DO in a slow oven.