Interesting Catering Ideas?

Anyone have any recent ideas for this catering quandary? I need to find a fun and non-taco catering option for 40 or so adults, ideally for $1,200 or less.

Does that budget include drinks?

Panda Express

A pizza truck? There are a couple that I was looking at for a party a while back, but ended up catering from various vendors at my house instead. @JeetKuneBao suggests Chef Peter Hung for traditional Vietnamese banh xeoā€¦he also offers tri-tip and American-style BBQ sides for folks not as adventurous.

1 Like

Like mindsā€¦ I was thinking Vietnamese or Korean.

Giant paella.

That was my first thought since weā€™ve been discussing paella. But can you do it for $25-$30 per person? He hasnā€™t said whether that budget includes beverages.

Loving these suggestions (aside from Panda) so please keep em coming. Was thinking of Korean but hadnā€™t considered Vietnamese.

Budget does not include drinks. Work colleagues will be covering that angle.

Thinking of a food truck but not sure which ones are worth considering. Looks like Kogi is $1,500 minimum plus fees. (That, and itā€™s somewhat garbage stoner food.)

Guerilla Tacos has a $25/pp catering option.

2 Likes

Weā€™re looking for unfussy, vegetarian-friendly (chix, seafood ok), full-service catering for a backyard party near mid-city. Bday boy likes Thai, Vietnamese & Mexican. Guerrilla Tacos is a definite option. Iā€™d appreciate any ideas. Thanks!

2 Likes

we used Holy Basil to cater our daughters bday prior to pandemi. it was fantastic. i know they did a wedding recently.

4 Likes

Oh great! Putting them on the list!

Oh, Flaco taco also catered a small event and it was great.

1 Like

Flacoā€™s website says theyā€™re pretty busy most weekends until November but I emailed them anyway. Weā€™ll see.

Chef Wes Avilas from Angry Egret Dinette also caters. Heā€™s been doing interesting things for dinner that I think your celebrant might enjoy.
Also forgotā€¦you could go baller status a la @CiaoBob and have a paella party.

1 Like

Ohh Iā€™ll check it out @attran99. Thanks.

So far, Flaco is out. GT said they can do it, but I need to do budget calculations, as the guest list is growing by-the-minute (35ish) and we want full-service (setup, server & takedown). Holy Basil is also on board which may be more economical and compatible - bday boyā€™s MIL is bringing spring rolls, etc. from Brodard. :partying_face:

4 Likes

Thatā€™s definitely on the back-burner for a smaller party! :blush:

1 Like

Sounds like a party we should crash @attran99 ? :wink:

4 Likes

Uh hmm, itā€™s gonna be good!

2 Likes

I had La Paella Catering on Friday night while as a guest at a party. They took care of appetizers, 3 types of paella, and a salad.

The appetizers were a hit. Each one was great.
Bluefin ceviche
Langoustines with avocado mousse and some sauce I canā€™t remember
Bacalao croquettes
Bacon-wrapped dates with goat cheese

The paella options were seafood, meat, and vegetarian. The paellas tasted good. Two issuesā€¦the bomba rice was still very al dente and the paella itself seemed too saucy to me. I donā€™t think paella should ever be this saucyā€¦which now makes sense that the rice was undercookedā€¦it didnā€™t absorb all the liquid. For those who are curious, no soccarat was noticeable. Not sure if there was any intent to obtain soccarat status.

5 Likes