Interesting video/article about Chinese Noodles

I personally think Shanxi Noodle House in Industry is the best of the newcomers.

1 Like

i don’t think i’ve sampled shanxi cuisine yet. while they do a lot of noodles, i’ve heard shaanxi noodles are usually thicker/longer.

I am eating here right now coincidentally and the food is quite good. Really liked the Q on the noodles.

You have to come here just to see the robotic noodle making mannequin in action. One noodle dish we had was pretty short but very tasty and quite unique.

that’s some serious garlic there.

To-go menu for reference

4 Likes

Hard to read - with the light-spotover the word - but it looks like STEAMED Cumin Beef Hand Pull Noodle? That sounds amazing.

More like STIR FRIED on closer inspection. Still I want it.

liangs’ does what i think is a stir-fried-then-steamed noodle dish that produces an interesting texture.

the last time i was there every other table had one.

Wait, barry. You’ve eaten at Lao Xi Noodle House, that’s Shanxi cuisine and JTYH’s noodles (dao xiao mian) are Shanxi-style. Shanxi Noodle House has even deeper Shanxi items, well, when they have them.

What’s the utility of stir fry than steam?

i thought they were shaanxi. my bad. but then the use of the vinegar in the house special noodles at lao xi makes more sense.

1 Like

you get the flavor of the browning of the noodles, but with a different texture. i can;t find better words to explain it at the moment.

It’s usually done with raw fresh noodles. You need the extra step of steaming to make sure the noodles are cooked through.

This technique, stir-frying then steaming is not unlike how pan fried dumplings are made as most “guo-tei” are usually raw dumplings pan fried, then splashed with some water, covered, then left to steam to ensure the meat and other goodies inside the dumplings are fully cooked through so you don’t get a mouthful of trichinosis.

Contrast that with just stir-frying noodles where you typically start off with cooked noodles and the extra step of steaming is not only unnecessary but a quick way to making denture-friendly food.

As to utility, doing the two-step stir-fry steam tango is said to provide a more toothsome noodle with a bit more q as they say in Taiwanese, or Chinese if you grew up in the States and were too preoccupied playing with your Game Boy to ever learn the dialect.

It’s also similar, in theory at least, to basting an egg. And why some find it better than a simple fried egg or a simple poached one.

4 Likes

The to go menu I posted is a much better representation of their available items. I would actually advise ordering with the to go menu and using their regular menu only for reference. But even then some of the pictures in the regular menu look nothing like what will come out on your plate. Other than that, I really like the food here. The lamb noodle soup was quite tasty, nice clean broth and the noodles had a slightly firm chew. Been here twice in two weeks and so far so good. Haven’t had a single bad dish out of 8. I need to delve into more of their interesting items, if available. :joy:

1 Like

what place are talking about??

Shanxi Noodle House in Industry. Sorry about the ambiguous comment.

1 Like

A5Kobe, concur completely about Shanxi Noodle House. I would definitely advise going by the to go menu. And, yeah, some do not resemble the photos at all :slight_smile:

What’s the name of the stir fried then steamed dish? (There are two Liang’s in the SFBA, so I’m curious for they have it here too)

i’m afraid they won’t: once the liang’s franchse… disenfranchised, the MP location discarded the franchise menu and reinvented themselves with a completely new menu. included is a pic of the noodles on their new menu.