Is anyone even making ice cream with stone fruit anymore?

That + their mint chip might be my 2 fav flavors ever. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Not ice cream proper, but Bulgarini had a delicious peach sorbetto about 2 weeks ago.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up. Anything Leo does with peach, I’m in.

Leo once explained to me that he personally goes to the farmer from whom he purchases his peaches. Not going there out of politeness, but rather Leo is there because he himself actually picks the peaches off the tree to unequivocally ensure that the fruit is respected along every step of way until it reaches the palate of his lucky customers.

Leo says his starting fruits are never bruised, never mistreated, always at the ripeness he wants, and those lucky peaches never see a cooler or cold until he starts making his gelato/sorbetto with them.

Call it neurotic, call it perfectionist, whatever. The man is a consummate artist, and his art is wondrous.

8 Likes

Sweetrose. They buy a massive amount of stone fruit from Andy’s Orchard (David Karp’s project) at the Wednesday SM market. David Karp is one of the world’s great experts on stone fruit.

2 Likes

Carmela has peaches and cream on their menu right now. Can’t comment on the quality though because I’ve never really been into their ice cream

1 Like

Shhh… Let’s take time to remember: What’s the first rule of Andy’s Orchard?

2 Likes

My sister has dreams about Leo’s peach confections. I wish I lived closer so I could go everyday.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads-up here @ipsedixit and @JeetKuneBao!
I loved the green plum. Very special flavor.
The texture of the base was excellent.
I also really enjoyed the roasted soybean and mochi.
This is really good ice cream.

2 Likes

And I would heartily recommend staying far away from it. I love a lot of their flavors and love peach ice cream. Their version is not even close to worth the calories.

4 winters a new dry ice ice cream store has a peach crumble ice creAm that is quite tasty

See, this is what makes the world go ‘round. Right :slight_smile: ?

A friend of mine told me their mint chip was so great. So I got it and I felt like I was eating vanilla ice cream with a mint leaf salad. Like, seriously, eating leaves. I didn’t feel like the ice cream itself was minty. Yeah, I’m weird, I eat mint leaves, I have them in other things, but in this ice cream it really bothered me.

The peach (they haven’t had that in a few years), corn, and peppermint patty are my favorites.

Really??? We may have to meet one day so that we can throw down in-person. :wink: Sweet Rose is the ONLY mint I’ll eat b/c I think it’s the ONLY one (IMHO) that actually tastes like “real” mint, and the fact that it tastes like the leaves is precisely what I love most about it! It’s the same reason why I like the mint cucumber drink at Literati.

I like a high quality vanilla ice cream, so that might be part of it. Although I wouldn’t say that I detect a huge vanilla flavor in the SR one.

What mint ice cream do you like? I’ll have to try for comparison.

Can I introduce you to punctuation? :wink:

3 Likes

Ice cream throw down, LOL I love it !!

I barely go out for ice cream. My lady gets it and I usually just have a spoonful taste and that’s it. I was treating myself to Sweet Rose and her stepfather had said how much he loved the mint chip at Sweet Rose. So that’s the only reason I tried it.

The first bite I thought “wow this is nice and minty.” And then after a while I felt like I was eating a salad. Even joked that Sweet Rose is the type of place that would come up with a Caesar Salad ice cream.

That peppermint patty ice cream of theirs, though, oh my God!!!

But now whenever we go to an ice cream place, I’m going to get mint chip just so that I can compare. And I will report back :slight_smile:

Hey, that is a description of my experience as well.

1 Like

Now that I think about it, I generally don’t like sweets, so maybe that’s why I like salad as ice cream. :wink:

1 Like

Lol mobile :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Larchmont Village and Various Markets

Not sure they still make this one, but I hope so, it looks :yum:

3 Likes

I just tried scoops of the Green Plum and Injeolmi last night, and WOW were they good! Also sampled the Citron, but liked the Green Plum best of the 3.

1 Like

Would I ever do you wrong?

1 Like

I had some Peach ice cream at Ginger’s in Culver City a couple weeks ago.

1 Like