Is Yang's Kitchen in Alhambra The Future Of Chinese Food In Los Angeles?

Had a terrible meal here, service was good, but the setup is straight chaos at a prime eating time.

The beef noodle had some of the most bland tasting soup I have ever had, noodles were too gummy, no Q whatsoever, egg was good.

Green onion pancake nothing special, decent texture but tasted like burnt butter. Also got the soft serve, just go to big softee.

Spent about $90 for two people, QPR is straight ass. Better off going to Northern Cafe and Big Softee in MP for literally half the price.

Hainan Fish Rice

1 Like

had this dish, each component is very well done–the dry aged barramundi was tender/flakey and skin had nice char. the grains of rice was very flavorful and well seasoned, prob better than most hainan rice places. overall a successful dish that would order again. Not so sure about the dill pickle slices though, the acid of it was bit sharp. maybe it’s the asian grandmother in me that i would prefer some sour but mellow fermented mustard greens instead.

but i wouldn’t say anything about the combination of fish and rice is anything revelatory. fried fish and rice, ginger/scallion is a can’t miss staple combination.

7 Likes

how were the “bestest ever” wings?

Thanks for the feedback on this dish. I am really interested in this dish as opposed to some of their other offerings.

it was fried well and crispy–the seasoning was bit understated as it came with fine salt and pepper and lime on the side (maybe an ode of bo luc lac?) but either way, my daughters appreciated it as most places wings to tend be overly dressed, so this veered in the opposite direction with it’s subtleness.

5 Likes

but is it bestest or not? :crazy_face:

bestiest of the bestest

3 Likes

I enjoyed their “japanese breakfast”

7 Likes

solid dinner, highlights were the collars and hainan fish.

yang’s fried chicken wings

grilled dry-aged fish collars

‘hainan’ fish rice - dry-aged barramundi, chicken fat rice, chili butter, ginger scallion sauce, pickled cucumbers

‘dan dan’ campanelle - semolina campanelle, peanut-sesame sauce, mushrooms, mustard stem, chili crisp, scallion

aromatic pork ribs - beeler’s spareribs, cumin garlic chili rib mix, cilantro, lime, scallion

milk custard

15 Likes