ISO Battera Sushi

I would love to see a Tigers vs Giants game in Osaka eating Battera!

1 Like

Per Yelp:

No pics no reviews on the Battera at Sushi Miyagi. Dude he’s from Osaka. Sushi Miyagi is also doing Salmon/Avocado Battera in addition to Saba

A whopping total of 6 reviews for the Battera at Osawa

Lol

Here you go homie… Verdict: The battera was probably the best part of my lunch at Sushi Miyagi. The pressing here is truly dense. I would have liked just a bit more of a vinegar note on the saba, but hey I was plenty pleased as it is. The lunch omakase was not as good here, though.

7 Likes

Nice pic!!!

Just curious @beefnoguy is their a sake you would pair with Battera?

1 Like

Saba battera?

In Japan there is actually a sake made by the brewery for the label Ippin (Ippin is exported but not this one) to pair specifically with saba

Saba De Shu

SDS

Amazingly it pairs quite nicely, but only with saba. It’s fruity with a ton of umami, higher acidity/tartness (to cut the fat), flavorful but a fairly quick finish that goes clean. I tried it with saba shioyaki but not shimesaba, though I figure it should work similarly.

Otherwise for something available locally in LA, I would recommend a more umami forward Junmai or Junmai Ginjo but with dryer characteristics in the finish. Kawatsuru (Umaguchi) Junmai should work nicely (Domaine LA) and while this might be a bit strong for beginners Yuho Junmai (purple bottle) Domaine LA might work but I think Kawatsuru is better, plus Kawatsuru is a bit more feminine in nature so the ladies will enjoy it too for sure. The Maboroshi Junmai Ginjo, while a different profile, would be a nice one too (Remedy Liquor store) although it’s an amazing sake for shellfish. All within $30 or less.

I actually prefer bousushi these days, a bit better mouthfeel and a bit more aerodynamic (even while it goes in).

4 Likes

Nozomi

7 Likes

I really like the addition of shiso in these batteras. Such a nice balance of flavors.

1 Like

Sushi Miyagi in Brentwood is offering Battera to go, saba or salmon

7 Likes

Darn it! I’m never on the Westside, especially now. But! I happen to be in Brentwood and of course it’s Monday and everyone’s closed. :cry: Before the C19 lockdown I had a really nice meal at Sushi Miyagi (and a really bad one at Takao) and planned to do a @Chowseeker1999 and go back before doing a report, but…

2 Likes

Sushi Miyagi Carmakase

battera
This was fantastic, chef shin is from osaka so he knows his battera. The only thing I would have preferred is some shiso. His other offerings were great too. @Chowseeker1999, @TheCookie, @CiaoBob, @J_L, @Ns1, @A5KOBE, @attran99, @Omotesando. Thanks for the heads up @JeetKuneBao.

Enjoyed this with @NYCtoLA, in our respective cars, across the street from each other, in front of n/naka, waiting for our bentos. What a time to be alive.

19 Likes

Beautiful! I want to eat that everyday.

1 Like

Gorgeous. Is this a pre-order for daytime, nighttime or anytime? I’m usually only traveling to the Westside during the day which hinders my picking up some of the great food I’m seeing on FTC lately.

1 Like

You can order it any time during their open hours. I picked some up right when they opened at noon. Thanks @PorkyBelly!

2 Likes

You can pre-order and pickup for anytime during their opening hours tues-thurs, sunday 12-7; fri-sat 12-8. They can also make off menu items too if you ask and they have the ingredients; I got a delicious torotaku with my order. Menu and more pictures shortly.

9 Likes

Thanks @PorkyBelly! Such a sweet couple. I really want to support their new spot.

1 Like

Didn’t know Katsuyama Ken had a half bottle size! Nice to see discounted sake as part of takeout :heavy_heart_exclamation:

Has anyone had their omakase before the shelter-in-place? Their About web page says they alternate between red vinegar and white vinegar in their shari.

I did the lunch omakase here before, and I’ll leave it at that.

1 Like

Ouch, thanks for taking one for the team @J_L. :frowning:

1 Like

@hungryhungryhippos enjoyed it

2 Likes