ISO chả giò rế

Had these at a dinner party for the first time and they were awesome. The skin was super crunchy, blistered, and craggy. They’re basically chả giò wrapped in bánh hỏi (vermicelli sheets). Anywhere I can get this in LA? thanks.

6 Likes

Thanh Mai has them from the pics I seen on Yelp

1 Like

Looks like some Mystery panko crusted egg roll wrapper wiki photo… but these are what you’re looking for:

Get them at top baguette in little Saigon at 50c a pop. Small single bites. Not sure of any spots in LA though.

Personally I prefer the pure rice paper wrappers of golden deli as the gold standard (pun intended):grimacing:

3 Likes
2 Likes

Viet huong looks great. Has there been a cha gio showdown thread like banh mi, taco etc ?

In my experience making egg rolls, looks like viet huong uses rice paper that contains tapioca flour resulting in those bubbly blisters. Harder to fry and brown but do it right and Texture is crunchy with slight chew from the tapioca.

This golden deli’s. It’s only rice flour hence no blistery bubbles. Texture is crunchiness that is delicate and shatters, without the chew. Easier to fry and brown but harder to find pure rice flour only paper.

Both great. Wheat paper egg rolls…meh. :joy:

the lacy cha gio re is even harder to find… see dried banh hoi sheets but not in the size to roll up egg rolls. Plus in my experience eating them, they tend to be slightly greasier soaking up the oil.

2 Likes

Aren’t they pretty ubiquitous in Vietnamese restaurants? They’re super easy to make and I love them. Here’s Andrea Nguyen’s take:

https://www.vietworldkitchen.com/blog/2015/09/cha-gio-imperial-roll-frying-tips.html![1|690x388](upload://rZt2ai0kB8D5OXr1ufAwaNsOaCU.jpg)

1 Like

in my 30 years of eating egg rolls in little saigon I have never seen banh hoi wrapped around egg rolls then deep fried. O_O

I must have this in my life.

6 Likes

The cha gio are fairly ubiquitous, but the Original Poster is looking for a specific variation, using vermicelli sheets as a wrapper rather than the more common rice paper.

Here’s a recipe for the cha gio re:

And another:

2 Likes

@Ns1 Ditto!

I my experience, rice paper wrapped egg rolls are sorta common in cali— but else where you find the wheat wrappers, the easiest to deal with. Nguyen’s areticle discussed the troubles with rice paper and tricks on how to deal with them.

1 Like

Would you believe there’s even a square egg “roll”?

1 Like

where do I even find this? although it seems square egg rolls wouldn’t be as efficient being wrapped in lettuce…

Pho co ha noi in Santa Ana—lots of great looking northern specialty- a la vien dong back in the day.

It’s meatier for sure. We had this is Hanoi years ago and it’s made it’s way across the pond.

2 Likes

Pho Co Hanoi original owners opened up Hanoi Corner in Garden Grove.

1 Like

holy shit this place looks amazing with all kinds of stuff I’ve never seen before, as well as interesting takes on old classics

eg) tf is this?

Their bun cha ha noi looks damn good too

1 Like

I want those pork patties in my mouth right now.

2 Likes

Obviously it’s Bun Dau Mam Tom Thit Luoc Cha Com!!!

2 Likes

Mam Tom is hardcore. I know some Bolsa kids at work who can’t stand it.

I am guessing Mam Tom is kinda like anchovies, sneak a little bit in the food

1 Like

yeah too hardcore for me too.

my uncles use it as a direct replacement for nuoc mam cham when eating bo 7 mon.

2 Likes