ISO of different things to do with wasabi

I recently started putting wasabi in egg salad, along with mayo, dijon, s&p. Then last night I made a little spread for shrimp burgers with wasabi, sriracha and dijon. Do you have anything, maybe/probably non-Asian that you like using it. TIA.

Are you talking about real wasabi (root) or commercial wasabi paste (which is horseradish with food coloring) ?

Commercial. I canā€™t/wonā€™t afford the root. (Which is available here in Seattle.)

I did a little searching (not a lot) and found this regarding S&B wasabi:

The 31.7% wasabi really makes a difference. I checked the supermarket brand weā€™d been eating and it was just 5% wasabi and 22% horseradish. The quality of this brand was really apparent and iā€™m throwing away the supermarket one.

Brand: S&B

Weight: 0.04 Kilograms

[

S&B Premium Wasabi Paste in Tube, 1.52 Ounce - Amazon.com

https://www.amazon.com ā€ŗ Premium-Wasabi-Paste-Tube-ā€¦
](https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Wasabi-Paste-Tube-Ounce/dp/B0068DN5FA#:~:text=The%2031.7%25%20wasabi%20really%20makes,throwing%20away%20the%20supermarket%20one.)

I would sincerely appreciate your feedback. I love horseradish but to me this doesnā€™t taste like it.

I had real wasabi a few times and the flavor has nothing to do with the commercial paste. Commercial paste tastes not surprisingly quite along the lines of horseradish as it is quite pungent and with a real ā€œin your faceā€ flavor. Real horseradish for me isnā€™t really pungent but has some milder heat but more importantly some herbal/floral notes. I found the S & B tube still quite pungent but not as bad as some of the really cheap ones

Letā€™s say I actually bought a piece of it. Would there be some way to maximize itā€™s ā€˜lifeā€™? Thanks, honkman

Hey, thanks for this. Saved it. Pasta? Yeah, Iā€™m liking it :slight_smile:

What do you usually have?

Fresh wasabi is quite delicate and subtle. Iā€™m happy when I have it at a sushi place but wouldnā€™t buy it to use at home unless maybe I made my own sushi.

I do buy fresh horseradish, which is not expensive.

So obviously for the kinds of things Iā€™m hoping for the S&B will be just fine. Thanks.

Now to get more ideas of what else to do with ā€œwasabi.ā€ :slight_smile:

If I use it at home I donā€™t have real wasabi just the commercial stuff - I donā€™t use it enough that it would make sense to buy it for us (and as Robert said it is much less pungent and much more subtle that it canā€™t be easily used in other dishes outside of sushi where it doesnā€™t get overwhelmed by other ingredients.)

Ah, but robert shared a link for other things that Iā€™ll check out.

Cocktail sauce, bloody marys. What Iā€™d use horseradish for.

1 Like

I occasionally get the real stuff to use on yakitori skewers and a good filet.

1 Like

This looks good:

Ooh, doesnā€™t that sound good! Thanks as usual :slight_smile:

1 Like