ISO unagi hitsumabushi

Mitsuwa is selling hitsumabushi eel bowls from 7/29 - 7/31 as part of their Nagoya Fair. They’re also offering regular and premium eel bentos from 7/28 - 7/31.

Mitsuwa - Torrance Store
21515 S. Western Avenue
Torrance, CA 90501
(310) 782-0335
Daily 9:00am – 9:00pm

Here’s the flyer for the Nagoya Fair:
http://3mxvs22jxrua1jdcid434cd1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/images/trad.pdf

7 Likes

Errrra… you didn’t mention the Nagoya-style tebasaki!
Might as well grab some wings from Yamachan while visiting the Torrance Mitsuwa.
Same weekend as the eel.

5 Likes

WOW - now that’s a road show bang-bang - thanks for the addendum!

Well shit, that changes the game.

And I like how the flyer adds that the wings “goes extremely well with beer” in the print.

1 Like

HI @A5KOBE @bulavinaka,

Haha, I always thought the Unagi alone was worth going for. But yah Tebasaki as well is even better. :slight_smile:

@MaladyNelson if only the had Miso Katsu and Kishimen as well. :slight_smile:

1 Like

For the newbie, what’s special about nagoya-style tebasaki?

Ha ha, you caught me out on my food bias, @TriTip. If it doesn’t exclusively have seafood or vegetables, I tend to gloss over it.

Kishimen would be delightful, @Chowseeker1999!

Much like Kyochon/Korean fried chicken wings: second joint and wingtip, no ‘drumstick’, marinated (think karaage), double fried, no batter. The Nagoya version is traditionally sauced with a japanese tare, not the firey Korean version. I think the vendor doing the pop-up at Mitsuwa (Sekai No Yamachan) serves them dry, dusted with salt and pepper.

These vendor demos are a treat. Kudos to Mitsuwa for putting them on every year. (Anyone remember the Sapporo ramen event?)

You’re not going to get the best Nagoya Tebasaki at a pop-up version of a “fast-casual” chain-izakaya but this is about trying something new and having some fun on the weekend.

Sekai no Yamachan’s 420¥ WILD HIGH BALL Special

5 Likes

Do you or anyone for that matter remember if Mitsuwa Torrance serves beer in the food court? I don’t ever recall having any there.

TIA

I have never seen beer at the food court. That said, I have also never seen someone buy beer from the market (like that awesome $8 Japaense Hefeweizen) and brown bag it in the food court either.

Sadly, only Mitsuwa Costa Mesa has that Beer Garden Corner (awesome little setup).

Only smuggled in via sports cup :grin:

Thanks for the info!

Was the Sapporo ramen event the ramen event there in recent memory? I vaguely recall reading very mixed reviews. What I like about the events (the very few I’ve been to) is that there’s a different and more vibrant energy at the Mitsuwa. :slight_smile:

Already told partner that this is where we’re headed next weekend. :slight_smile:

This was a few years back at the Hokkaido food fair. Another pop-up inside the Torrance food court. L.A. probably has more ramen snobs than in all of Japan at this point. I’m sure there were plenty of comments.

The chef I spoke to came from Hokkaido. I loved meeting him, asking questions, learning about how the recipe evolved due to the cold climate. Sapporo Ramen is the source style of “Sapporo ichi-ban” – the gateway ramen drug for so many of us – so I was interested in tasting a proper example of the dish (I’m pretty sure this was before Hayetemaru had opened).

As we were leaving, the chef offered us some of his own restaurant’s instant ramen, which he pulled from a stash under one of the display tables. It came in austere-looking styrofoam bowls. He took cash only - discreetly deposited into his daughter’s purse.

It was good! Well, as good as you’d imagine instant ramen can get.

2 Likes

How popular are these food fairs? Is it something i need to be in line at 9am for?

The last few I went to, “no.” There are no super stars that people wait in line for IMHO.

1 Like

Depending on what’s offered and what time of the year, the crowds vary - but nothing even remotely close to Howlin’Ray’s kind of lines. One or two stands adjacent to the check-out counters is no big deal. The longest wait I’ve had is maybe 5-10 minutes. Big food fairs like the Hokkaido ones are a different deal.

1 Like

I concur.

Fuckin sold out of wings

Aint that’s some fucking bullshit. What about the unagi?