Israel trip

I will be heading to Israel next week, if anyone has recs please let me know! Tel Aviv’s food scene has exploded in the last 5 years or so.

Here’s some past pictures of some of the most glorious hummus/falafel I’ve had there

2 Likes

I don’t have any recs but, boy, is that hummus incredible…and I’m not a big fan! Have a great time.

1 Like

Have a nice trip. Report back. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’m not sure what mystical process the falafel stands have in Israel, but they are in a different category altogether compared to any place I’ve tried in the states. Perhaps it’s the garbanzo beans they use, or the harmonious marriage of the home made tahini, amba (pickled mango sauce), schug, and myriad of salads/pickles in the fluffiest pita ever, or the fact they they’ve been churning these out for 40+ years.

I’m scared I’m going to gain 15 pounds this trip. Oh well. WORTH IT. I’ll keep updating this thread with what’s to come.

7 Likes

Agree completely. Great stuff there. I liked the coffee there as well. Enjoy!

1 Like

If you google best hummus in Israel, you’re most likely going to find names like Abu Hassan and Hummus Eliyahu on a list amongst others. What you won’t find is this tiny shack located in Kibbutz Einat called Hummus Shel Gingi (translates to the red head’s hummus). This, in my opinion, is the best in the country. The owner/chef is a young guy in his 30’s, who makes his hummus fresh everyday starting at 3 a.m. he opens at 6, and by 10 he’s most likely sold out and finished for the day. He has around six types of hummus, and they’re all to die for. Don’t sleep on his falafel either. Extremely crunchy exterior with a perfect herbaceous inside. Highly highly recommended

9 Likes

Sabich. The iconic fried eggplant sandwich. There are a ton of stalls doing their version of this street food staple all over Israel. This one has been at it for 30 years. Inside the perfectly fluffy pita you have diced onions, cilantro, thinly sliced fried eggplant, a cooked egg, cucumber, tomato, schug, amba, tahini, hummus, and pickled pepper. Total cost: $5

I asked the owner to open a location in LA. He said he’s currently opening in Barcelona and plans to be in LA after that. There’s hope!

13 Likes

Looks fabulous, but why those hours?

Article says the restaurant is about 90-minutes north of Tel Aviv:

1 Like

Hummus here is a breakfast thing.

1 Like

I went there last time i was here. I might go in a couple days again (the wife loves it) but I didn’t think it was that great. For the area it’s good, but it wouldn’t be noteworthy if it was in Los Angeles.

2 Likes

Another day, another street food stall. This one translates to “just challah” and specializes in schnitzel sandos. They pound it thin, and stack three of them in between thick challah bread. I added pickled cabbage, chiles, Mayo, harissa, pickled onions, fried eggplant, amba, schug, and arugula inside. I’ve had this two days in a row now, it’s in my top 5 sandos of all time list. MUST TRY if you come here

6 Likes

That looks and sound fantastic! What was the meat?

Schnitzel is typically almost always chicken breast

Mashya is one of Israel’s hottest restaurants. It’s fun, contemporary, and produces some very creative takes on Mediterranean cuisine. We ordered filet/veal sweetbreads on toast with a sort of buerre blanc sauce, a tuna sashimi with Leche de Tigre, blueberries, and chive oil, a beef tartare dish, and a cream tart with buckwheat ice cream

6 Likes

Sabich Tchernekovski is the most famous Sabich spot in Israel. Featured on somebody feed Phil and if I recall correctly also on one of Anthony Bourdains shows. Chef Michael Solomonov said in the show that Israelis have bad posture and are always hunched because they eat dishes like this on the streets, and hunch over to make sure they don’t spill the ingredients on their shirts/shoes :sweat_smile: The way they layer everything is a work of art, resulting in a perfect bite each time.

8 Likes

Whisky Bar and Museum holds the title for the biggest selection of whisky in the Middle East. Located underground in a hangar that use to house secret projects for the Mossad (Israel’s equivalent to the CIA), it’s a beautiful spot with great food that compliments their whiskies. Unfortunately I didn’t take pictures of the food, but here are some of the whiskies I sampled as well as of the space. If you like whisky, this is a must go to spot located in Tel Aviv

8 Likes

Pelter winery and distillery up in the Golan Heights. You can see Lebanon and Syria from across the mountains. They provide free tastings of all their wines and alcohol (unlimited!). Located in Kibbutz Ein Zivan, there’s also a chocolate factory and a neighboring winery as well as a burger joint and falafel/hummus spot.

The next stop is at Lunna Arabic bistro. Located in Nazareth. Doing amazing Arabic food like the shooshbarak & knaffe you see pictured. Highly highly recommended.

Last is arayes which was made by my uncle. Grilled pita with ground beef and onions dressed with olive oil. Simple yet divine

5 Likes

I remember visiting a winery in that area. Liked it a lot and brought home a couple of bottles. The Golan Heights and its story is quite something.

2 Likes