It’s Time For OUR List: Introducing The FTC47, LA/OC Edition

I think you were right in citing il Romanista, even though you got the chefs mixed up :slight_smile:

I like Triple Beam. But personally I give Roman-style nod to il Romanista.

2 Likes

In no particular order (and includes the OC because it should be roped in with LA…sorry, @Nemroz):
Hayato - I may not be able to get in now, but it remains my favorite higher end dining destination in our area. Chef Go is a master of super simplistic, but complex dishes. His broths are warm and comforting, but made with such skill…and he chats with you while he’s completing your courses.
Underground 106 Seafood - Chef Penuelas is a master of Mexican mariscos. A meal in his backyard is a truly quintessential southern California. The bright and spicy balance of his aguachiles to his magnificent ceviches to his masterful snook and marlin tacos is amazing…and then the shims/langoustines sauces and broths of his stews keep your palate alive and wanting for more.
Fukagawa - There’s something to be said about this South Bay institution…a simple Japanese breakfast made with care and love. I love a good grilled/broiled mackerel where the fat drips and coats your rice. There are some pickles to offset the decedent rice, and you have to option to DIY onigiri with the crispy nori you get. And let’s not forget the simple dashimaki that makes it breakfast. Wash it down with hojicha and you could be sated all morning. Lunch sets are also great options as they make their own udon and soba.
Amor Y Tacos - Mole tots and great tacos served in fresh made tortillas. A great selection of craft cocktails with solid food in my own area…this kind of cooking and setting is hard to find in the deep suburbs, and yet it remains and is so worthy of Chef Ortega’s accolades. I love that I don’t have to travel into the city for an easy-going meal like this.
Bizarra Capital - Another neighborhood favorite. Amazing cocktails and solid Mexican cooking. The crab esquites is masterful and their braises are terrific…but when you have Chef Diaz of Guisado’s fame…of course, the braises are going to be fantastic.
The Donut Man - Like @J_L said, nothing better when strawberry and peach season overlap.
Republiqué - One of our favorites city dining destinations. The service is spectacular and the food is exceptionally handled. We’ve gone through much of the menu and have loved every single bite. I love that my breakfasts can be a decadent mushroom toast with a slice of that dreamy passion fruit cream pie and my dinners start with those unlimited crusty baguettes and Bordier butter and those drippings…and the malfadine with lobster is our favorite seafood pasta dish hands down.
Providence - If you want to be taken care of, you come here. Fine dining is not something I do often, but when I do, I love it here. The service is exceptional. Chef Cimarusti is master…and it’s about time the JBF rewarded him and his team for their fine work. His amuses are so carefully made that I still think of them years after I’ve had them…and that ugly bunch…is easily the best and most beautiful dish in all of our region.
Tanakaya - Thanks to @Chowseeker1999 for bringing this one to my attention. I love soba noodles and these folks lovingly make them fresh everyday. The noodles are a perfect balance of chew and texture and at such a reasonable price.
Cream Pan - Who doesn’t love a strawberry croissant filled with a gentle pastry cream and fresh sliced strawberries? These are easily one of the best potluck items that will brighten anyone’s party. But they also make curry pan, pastries, bread, and Japanese-style sandwiches.
Bestia - A new favorite for us. The menu is all-around winner…that spinach gnocchetti gets me every time and the pizzas are just perfect. It’s amazing that they make all their charcuterie. The lively atmosphere makes it fun for an evening out with friends or a casual night out with your SO.
Majordomo - So steady and so fun. The rice dishes a la tahdig are just stunning. @Hungrydrunk and @PorkyBelly always make the right recs and I keep wanting to go back because the bings are so delightful and the rice is so amazing. FTW soccarat!
Bulgarini Gelato - Before all the hoopla, a dinner with Leo was like eating in a nonna’s kitchen. Pacing was casual. You got to know and chat with your chef about everything and anything. And the food is just like a nonna’s kitchen. Rich and hearty soup, pasta so delicate and smooth…that it reminds you of silk sheets, and those sauces are thoughtfully and carefully made. It used to be a great way to spend a leisurely evening with friends or family. I know that the press attention has changed this meal, but the food remains great and the gelato pairings are stupendous. Leo still makes the best gelato that I’m aware of…everyone’s gelato is not delicious when I compare it to Leo’s.
Chaumont - There is no better croissant in all of our area. I come into the city just to stop here sometimes.
Lou The French on The Block - Admittedly, I come here once a week based on proximity to my office. Lunch can be a simple pan bagnat or a delightful quiche with salad. But his pastries are fantastic. Special items are chocolate eclairs and Napoleons. He also makes solid croissants…a fair substitute for Chaumont…but my team adores the chocolate, almond, and chocolate almond croissants just as much.
Epicurus Gourmet - I know, a warehouse “grocery” store. But the selection is pricing can’t be beat by anyone else in town. I shop for charcuterie and formage here. I buy gifts here. This place never lets me down and my gifts are always a hit.
Brodard - I grew up eating here. I cater my home parties from here time to time. The rolls are magnificent. They are the first thing to disappear from the buffet.
Ngu Binh/Ben Ngu - Two different restaurants, but related due to some familial strife. But they both focus on Central Vietnamese cuisine and their food is amazing. Their banh canh cua, banh beo, and banh loc la are fantastic. I regularly cater banh beo and banh loc la for my house parties because I loved eating them as snacks growing up.
Banh Cuon Luu Luyen - Banh cuon is another childhood favorite and this place hits it home every time. Delicate, paper-thin rice noodles made fresh-to-order. Filled or not…your choice. While most enjoy it filled with BBQ grilled beef or their ground beef-wood ear mushroom mix or ground shrimp, I’m a traditionalist and I love it straight up with slices of cha lua, greens, lots of fried shallots and their nuoc nam mix. It’s a perfect breakfast or lunch.
Fishing with Dynamite - Seafood tower and key lime pie. That’s all I need to say.
Shuck Oyster Bar - On any given day, they could have at least 30 varietals of oysters and clams from anywhere. I love that they have access to Island Creeks from Duxbury, MA, so I don’t have to schlep to Connie & Ted’s. I love the team here and my oysters are always perfect.
Il Romanista - I think this is my favorite pizza that’s not close to home. It’s crispy and crunchy. The toppings are just right and balanced. And every freaking flavor they have is delicious…from plain and simple cheese to Bandiera (veggie) to the spicier Amatriciana (cured meats)…you can’t go wrong. And you can get a great meal for about $10 or less.
Carlos’s Tijuana Tacos - They make their tortillas fresh to order and they grill over mesquite charcoal. How can you go wrong here? It’s a family business that’s blown up in the last year and it’s just a hop, skip, and a jump away from my house. My favorites are the quesadillas and the mulitas, but I need to try their vampiros.
Newport Tan Cang Seafood - The last childhood favorite on my list. House special lobster, clams with Thai basil, and bo luc lac are dishes that we only had for special occasions growing up. My grandma loved this place and each year on the anniversary of her passing, we come here to honor her and remember her with the dishes she loved most.
Ba Le Sandwiches - I should be a Lee’s Sandwiches person because my Dad grew up with the Le family in the old country and I have access to their OG shops, but Ba Le has my heart. Every component is perfect. And the sum of the parts is magnificent. It’s the perfect sandwich…and banh mi always makes me happy.
The Ranch - I have to respect a place where the pastry chef sends out a baking tray of 7 different rolls with butter as their bread service. Each bread/roll is solid…cranberry/walnut, Parkerhouse, honey wheat…I honestly can’t remember the rest. But they are all good and if that’s just the beginning of your meal, it sets a high bar for the rest of your evening. The steaks and chops are the stars here. Just solid good food and always super reliable. With a great wine menu and cocktail program we always leave sated.
La Flor de Yucatán - Their colada tamales are a thing of beauty and my our favorite tamales in the city. Who wouldn’t love an airy and fluffy masa that’s as delightful as Leo Bulgarini’s gnocchi? Their cochinita pibil is also terrific.
Burritos La Palma - Fresh tortilla and amazing birria fillings? Hell, if I can, I purchase the tortillas to take home for personal use…they make the best quesadillas. Sometimes, my husband invents a reason to go to the OC just so we can hit up the Santa Ana location.

15 Likes

I probably agree about OC. I’m anything but inflexible

5 Likes

Nice!!!

Vientianne is my favorite too. I agree best nam kao todd anywhere

1 Like

Having been blessed by @J_L to rejoin FTC last night, I will carry over my list (previously posted on my IG that three of you saw) and add a few more:

• Angler (simple yet deceivingly complex execution beyond the seafood)
  • Apollonia’s Pizzeria (for the weekend-only grandma pies)
  • Bon Temps (haven’t been for dinner, but their pastries are my current faves)
  • Boston Lobster or Newport Seafood (can’t go wrong with either)
  • Carnitas El Momo (carnitas, as well as occasional birria special)
  • Cassell’s (earned a spot for being my most-visited restaurant of 2019, patty melt all day err day)
  • Fiona (RIP, hope to see those pies in a brick & mortar again someday)
  • Gjusta (the always-dependable vet, the one restaurant that probably won’t miss Travis)
  • Guerrilla Tacos (found its groove sometime after Q1)
  • Hayato (Chef Brandon is the man)
  • Here’s Looking at You (has put Animal out to pasture)
  • Holbox (best mariscos)
  • Iki Ramen (best ramen, really answered our call for more non-tonkotsu options)
  • LASA (their menu gets better and better, hope more folks can appreciate it)
  • Majordomo (for the large format dishes)
  • Maury’s (by far the best bagels in town IMO)
  • Northern Thai Food Club (I’ve officially joined the club)
  • Porridge + Puffs (love anything and everything Chef Minh does)
  • Shin Sushi (Take-san is not afraid to take chances, best bang-for-the-buck omakase)
  • Shunji (at this point some of you know me as Shunji and Yuko-san’s adopted Chinese son)
  • Somni (has a rightful claim to the city’s #1)
  • Sonoratown (those tortillas)
  • Taco Maria (menu rarely changes, but just perfectly executed each time)
  • Nijiya Market’s deli section on a good day
  • Whatever @JLee serves at a pop-up

No surprises here, I’m sure.

13 Likes

Great to see you again, buddy. The keen alphabetization of your picks is appreciated!

3 Likes

hahahaha

1 Like

It’s not part of LA for you because it’s NOT part of LA. OC should really have their own forum, but I get it. It’ll move slower than molasses if there was a separate OC forum.

1 Like

Hahahhaah good call! I’ll second this

2 Likes

Welcome back @chrishei. Good list!

1 Like

Today is the annual commemoration of the story of the 47 Ronin

Keep the great stuff coming!

10 Likes

Thanks again @J_L for all the hard work compiling this! :slight_smile:

I edited / updated my list above with more additions in case you were already tabulating votes. Thanks!

5 Likes

Places I think were worthy this year:
LASA: I think they’re perennially underrated. They also completely overhaul their menu like 8 times a year which is really impressive. Plus, they now have beer and wine and Chase (the GM/somm) really knows how to pair with Filipino food
Hail Mary: My most visited spot of the year. Killer pizza and remarkably clean and delicious veggie dishes. Also, brunch toasts that are much uglier though no-less delicious than Sqirl’s.
Holbox: The two fish tacos plus a ceviche deal for 16 dollars has to be among the best value deals in the city
Iki Ramen: Enough has been said about this place
Bavel: One of my favorite places in the city to dine solo. Hummus plus a veggie dish there is tough to beat
Mariscos El Faro: Such good fish ceviche, and so affordable.
Taco Maria: Elaborated recently on why TM pains me but it’s still so damn good

5 Likes

Still need to hit up Hail Mary - thanks for the reminder.

2 Likes

Best of 2019

I was tempted but decided to stay with the agenda and only list places we enjoyed in 2019. We remedied the dilemma a bit by putting our chowhound boots on and trekking to a few favorites. Here it goes, in semi-particular order - new loves, old favorites, neighborhood go tos and just favorite things about food in L.A…

Animal (Fairfax) - My favorite restaurant. Period!

Sergio’s 106 Seafood Underground (Inglewood)

Majordomo (Chinatown) - Everything excites.

Chi Spacca (Melrose)

Republique (La Brea/Wilshire)

La Cevicheria (Arlington Heights)

Sushi I-NABA (Manhattan Beach)

Aburiya Raku (La Cienega)

Iki Ramen (Ktown) - Not many… or any? ramen shops use humanely raised pork. It’s the ramen-ya I’ve been searching for.

Howlin’ Ray’s (Chinatown)

Jon & Vinny’s (Fairfax)

Gish Bac (Washington/Crenshaw)

Expresion Oaxaquena (Pico/Arlington) - Better Moles than Guelaguetza. :grimacing: And the sauce in the Molcajete Mixto will make you want to slap your mother.

Bulgarini Gelato (Altadena) - The Gelato & Wine Pairings are Luscious!

ST Patisserie Chocolat (Tustin)

Spago (Beverly Hills)

Guerrilla Tacos (Arts District)

Porridge + Puffs (Filipinotown)

Woodspoon Brazilian (DTLA)

Everson Royce Bar (Arts District) - That Single Burger!

Taqueria Los Anaya (Mid-City)

Petite Trois (Highland) - Escargot and the Best Baguette.

Langer’s Deli (Westlake)

Afghani Kabob (Wilshire & La Cienega) - The name speaks for itself. You won’t find an amalgam of all foods South Asian here.

Soban (K-town) - Best Banchan

Quarters KBBQ (K-town) - A fun group favorite.

Lette Macarons (Beverly Hills) - You can keep Ladurée.

Fishing with Dynamite (Manhattan Beach)

Manuela (Arts District) - location, location, location.

Alta Adams (Mid-City)

Pollo a La Brasa (K-town)

Joan’s on 3rd (Beverly Grove) - The well-stocked little cheese case and specialty market make me giddy.

My2Cents (Mid-City) - Shrimp & Cheesy Grits!

Pete’s Louisiana Sausages (Jefferson/La Brea) - Literally a hole-in-the-wall. Walk up to the window, order fresh, uncooked, housemade sausages then go.

SK’s Donuts (Beverly-Grove) - Tastier Cronuts than Dominique Ansel’s.

Yardbird - Yes it’s a chain, yes it’s in a mall, yes it’s delicious. It’s called Yardbird… get the fried chicken.

Holbox (DTLA) :smirk:

Olson’s Scandinavian Delicatessen (Mid-City) - RIP

Farmers Markets - When we eat seasonal we spend less time in commercial markets and my cooking improves.

Original Farmers Market Fairfax

Now Serving Bookstore (Far East Plaza/Chinatown).

Food Talk Central - Food talkers have taught me to look at, appreciate and taste food on another level. Thanks!

13 Likes

Nice

3 Likes

Thanks @WireMonkey!

I just edited to include Now Serving’s location.

Great list, but I think its Soban not Saban

1 Like

She’s a Power Ranger fan :wink:

5 Likes