Italian Love in L.A

I just ate at Norma Siciliana in NY twice but it’s only partially Sicilian

Pizzana
Chi Spacca
Felix

2 Likes

Nice! Yah, I’m thinking them moving into Damiano’s old spot is more planned than coincidence.

1 Like

It’s not high profile or anything but I always have a really nice meal at Brunello’s in Culver City. I should go more often – actually.

Here is a link: https://brunellotrattoria.com/

2 Likes

Not high profile is very welcome, @PaulF.

Gets no love 'cuz it’s mid-range but I love it nonetheless: Cafe Angelino (BHPO)

Italian fusion is a thing, 'cuz it’s L.A. y’all: Jame Enoteca (El Segundo)

Can’t believe it hasn’t yet been mentioned on this thread: Bulgarini (Altadena)

Downhill alert: Angelini Osteria

Luckily the original location of this business still rocks: Pasta Sisters (Mid-City)

Missed (and was loved) by many: Sotto

Had a great run, but in the end was nearing its time to close: Valentino

4 Likes

yup

Nobody dropping Rossoblu?

Good thoughts.

Hah! I think of this when we eat there. You’ve always championed them on this board. Their key imo - even more than location - is how genuinely welcoming they are.

Oops …we needed your considered input on this thread.

P.S. Never had the Chicken Liver Pasta at Sotto! :sob:

:wine_glass: :shrimp: :spaghetti:

1 Like

It’s up there somewhere.

Pasta Sisters in the Historic Helms Bakery District

We met nephew & roomie aka big baller for dinner. They wanted to take uncle out for his bday and we wanted casual. I :heart: eating with these guys. It’s a food talkers dream. BB tried his damnedest to order OOE.

Arcipressi Rosso 2016

Isn’t she pretty?..

I mistakenly looked at the Pico locale website and thought CC didn’t serve wine. Good mistake. We got to try this biodynamic, indicative blend of mostly sangiovese from a cool wine shop, Bar & Garden, on Washington. I told the salesman we were dining w/others, where we were eating and what I was looking for in a wine. He immediately went for this bottle. We immediately loved it - balanced, soft, light fruit aroma & taste, earthy, medium acidity. :heart:

Bresaola Carpaccio w/Arugula, Robiola Cheese (Nonno Nanni), Lemon & Olive Oil Dressing

Delicious. Perfect alone, even better with their Focaccia. Tip: ask for Robiola or you get shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano, which some might like better, not us. :blush:

Butter Lettuce, Raisins, Toasted Almonds, Goat Cheese, Balsamic Dressing (White maybe)

Another winner.

Porchetta (I think), Mozzarella Fior di Latte, Arugula

I didn’t try it, but how could this be bad?

Hah! Extra, Extra. Read all about it!

They’re purists when it comes to saucing pasta, but know by now there are peeps out here like me. Grazie!

Spaghetti Bolognese (extra sauce) :blush:

Tagliatelle Bolognese + Burrata

Spaghetti, Manila Clams, Shrimp

Possibly a special. I’ve had problems with seafood at the Pico locale (not fresh :smirk:) and was hoping they remedied it in a more equipped kitchen. Only by half. The Shrimp wasn’t fresh tasting but the Clams were perfect.

Tagliatelle Pesto

If you’re not a big fan of basil (Me!) than this is for you. It’s mild, herbal, almost creamy. :slightly_smiling_face:

Gnocchi Three Cheese Sauce - Italian Gorgonzola, Parmigiano-Reggiano, Pecorino Romano & Arugula

OMG! I typically don’t love Gnocchi and think Three Cheese sauces are too much. But this was possibly my favorite pasta on the table. Nice light Gnocchi w/creamy, rich, tangy sauce. :heart:

Spaghetti Porcini Mushroom Sauce (extra sauce)

Have I mentioned how much I like Shrooms? :blush:

Lasagna - Bolognese (beef only), Béchamel, Parmigiano

I was getting worn out by this time. A problem when eating like this. But IIRC it was very good. :slightly_smiling_face:

Nutella Pie

Apricot Jam Pie

Panna Cotta + Stawberry Purée

The desserts were surprisingly just okay. With the exception of the Panna Cotta which was just good.

Okay, so, here it goes. Ready? The weakest link is the Pasta. Yep. Something has been lost in translation from the mom + pop to the bigger brick + mortar. The pasta flavor was fine (maybe a little bland). BUT! If you’re going to go traditional when saucing then your pasta shouldn’t stick together. :frowning_face: But all-in-all we had an enjoyable meal and I’m very happy for the pasta sisters & brother. I would return.

Happy Love in L.A. Italian Style!

7 Likes

…Oh I forgot. We mistakenly ended up with an extra Spaghetti Bolognese so we took it home. Almost all of my leftovers inexplicably end up with an egg on top.

5 Likes

Sadly(?), their OG Pico/Arlington location is muuuch better.

1 Like

everytime i stop by CC i end up at F.O… the lines are crazy.

1 Like

Louis Dressner can do no wrong

That sandwich has prosciutto cotto inside?

Those tarts are simple breakfast fare in Italy. I dig it with some tea

1 Like

Hi @Nemroz.

It does look more like ham (which I like better) but the description on the menu says prosciutto di parma. Unless my friend switched out the prosciutto for the porchetta which they also had but with pecorino romano spread. I’d ask him but he won’t remember. I’ll just edit it instead.

That makes sense about the tarts. They would be better as a simple breakfast with tea, but they’re marketing them as dessert and calling them pie. They are quite bland.

Thanks for the tips. :wink:

1 Like

Prosciutto cotto (cooked) can also be di Parma (of Parma). That does just look like some regular ham though (cotto). Did you say just say publically you prefer regualr ham to prosciutto? :kissing_closed_eyes:

Their ricotta, chocolate pie/tart i’ve had at Southland is quite nice.

2 Likes

Funny! We’re all starting to have the same food brain in different ways. First, I was wondering if di parma (of/from parma) could also be cooked, but I don’t have enough knowledge. Second, I wondered if I was gonna’ get shit because I prefer ham. But there’s not a lot of good prosciutto around (di parma or otherwise). It can be too chewy & pully for me. Sooo… and don’t scream, I like prosciutto wrapped around something (beef/asparagus) and broiled or pan fried. :relaxed:

3 Likes

oh it’s totally fine and i understand your preferences totally!!! it’s just that you are now at position 16 of trusted FTC recommenders :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

That was funny, but I’m with @TheCookie on this. For me, prosciutto is fine if cooked, but I find it offputting in its raw state. Yeah, I know it’s “cured”, but to me it seems like eating raw pork. In the same vein, I love hot-smoked salmon, but don’t care for lox at all. Too slimy.

2 Likes