Italian Love in L.A

It’s gotta’ be the porchetta then. I’ve bought thin sliced porchetta for sandwiches that’s pink just like that.

1 Like

we really have to get you to spain. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

You really do!

3 Likes

They have it at Costco this time of year. Try it.

Epicurus has that too. I love that place…

1 Like

What? Costco never ceases to amaze me. Like Mitchell in Modern Family. Never mind. But I wish we had one near our ‘hood.

I’m definitely going to Epicurus. You and @attran99 have been singing their praises so long that I can no longer resist. How bad do you think it will be this time of year?

1 Like

Depends on what time of day you plan on going, but I can attest that during the day, it’s pretty quiet.

2 Likes

Wait Costco has jamon iberico? Sliced or like a full leg?

I’ve tried sneaking in a paleta of Cinco Jotas iberico de bellota before, but the customs dog just drools incessantly, and my jig is up…

;-D

7 Likes

Funny!!!

Full leg. At least the Marina del Rey store does (or did a few wks back). You even get the wooden board it’s attached to! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Lol word on the street is that you can fIt 2 in an empty golf bag :innocent:

2 Likes
1 Like

So you can imagine how intriguing and baffling I find the conversations about how thin Jamon Ibérico should be sliced or de Bellota vs Regular. If I get that leg at Costco will someone come over and slice it for me?

P.S. I have actually had Ibérico pork. Thank you, Raku.

1 Like

They have 3 ounce packages of pre-sliced for ~$15. I saw it last week at Yorba Linda.

1 Like

I was thinking of the small package of pata negra.

In order of prestige, the ranking goes something like this:

• Jamón serrano
  • Jamón Ibérico
  • Jamón Ibérico de bellota
  • Jamón Pata Negra

There is reportedly a fair amount of fraudulent labeling, but I think Costco is pretty trustworthy.

2 Likes

Not totally accurate.

The highest grade classification is now jamón ibérico de bellota (as of a few years ago). Pata negra, which used to be in the jamon vernacular as “The Best”, is now used as an informal term to denote a purebred Iberian black-hoofed pig.

All jamón ibérico de bellota, by definition, come from black-hoofed purebred Iberian pigs. Furthermore, these specific pigs have been raise in the dehesa, and are only given a natural acorn-based range diet, with no commercial feed.

In any case, if you are looking for the best, don’t stop at just “iberico”. Look for “jamón ibérico de bellota”, black label. Often in Spain, they use “Jabugo” also (Jabugo is a small town renowned for their jamón ibérico de bellota). And Jabugo truly is the best ham on the planet (I know, bold claim). Have fun!

(How we arrived at discussing the nuances of Spanish ham on a thread devoted to Italian love in L.A., I’ll never know…) :smiley:

7 Likes

You will get right in and right out. They recently expanded. Might be a little line to check out, but it won’t be bad.

1 Like

Zingerman’s is less expensive, Ibérico Bellota Ham for sale. Buy online at Zingerman's Mail Order. Gourmet Gifts. Food Gifts.. I almost said cheaper, but its not cheap…

1 Like