Italy Suggestions Needed (Venice, Florence, Tuscany, Rome)

Watch out for the pickpockets.

2 Likes

Why do you like it? Would it be appropriate for a family of 5?

Yes. It’s a busy bustling place how Venice of old was where you enjoy big bowls of clam pasta and drink white wine by the liters

2 Likes

Rome: Via Margutta is my favorite street - it’s quiet yet central. There are several hotels ranging in price. The very affordable and lovely Hotel Manfredi is where I spent 12 nights last year. And, it’s walking distance to many wonderful restaurants (as well as walking distance to the sights).

Venice: favorite restaurant is probably Antica Martini, or a’ Becaficco

1 Like

I love that one too. It is incredible how it can be so close to the Piazza de Spagna and so few tourists ever step there. Don’t know what your budget is but Marguitta 19 is a very cool hotel with suites.
Another cool street to walk or stay in Rome is Via Giulia.

1 Like

Good call, Via Margutta is weirdly short of tourists even though there are flocks of them in nearby streets.

Off-the-beaten-path restaurant nearby:

1 Like

Okay, so now that there’s unanimous agreement about Via Margutta (seems great btw) the new question is - nix the apartment idea and stay in a hotel on Via Margutta?

don’t get too hung up on one street, there are many many other quiet streets there. for more than 2 nights I would prefer an apartment any day, especially if you plan to enjoy the markets.

1 Like

If you’re considering an Airbnb, read the reviews and look at the photos very carefully. There are a lot of buildings that are hundreds of years old that can have odd issues. Also, you might learn more about Rome’s garbage crisis than you care to.

Couldn’t agree more

What does this mean?

Yah, I typed in Via Margutta in the Airbnb app and some really nice looking places came up. Two problems

1. They don’t give the specific street so I’m messaging hosts to see if they’re actually on Via Margutta.
  2. If that particular street is unimportant as you say, how does one figure out which of the other streets are just as nice & quiet without knowing the area? Trust the proprietor?

Thanks!

i suppose read the review, descriptions, ask for the address, do google street view.

1 Like

To figure out if a place is quiet, read the reviews.

Garbage sometimes piles up. You take a bag down to put it in the can and the can is overflowing. The collectors don’t come, or they come but don’t take it all. It’s weird.

Good idea.

This too.

What on earth? That’s so backwards. It looks worse than the streets of a so-called third world country.

Romans are so good at making bureaucracy dysfunctional it’s amazing they ever accomplish anything.

Yeah, I’m shocked.

Roma is particular well known for being dysfunctional (but by far not the only “special” city in Italy) regarding even some “basic” public needs in an already quite dysfunctional (but still very nice to visit) country.

1 Like

When in Rome, stick to hotels. The garbage thing is real, and plumbing can also be a big problem. Oh, and most apartments do not have proper stand up showers, so hopefully you enjoy baths. And the convenience of having a concierge book restaurants for you is priceless - so many restaurants don’t even answer their phone. You never know when you’ll need the help of the front desk – I left a black cashmere shawl (expensive) at a restaurant, who told me they didn’t find it when I went back (twice) to look for it. But the hotel was (miraculously) able to recover it for me.

I did love my hotel, and looked at Margutta19 which is super hip and lovely (although double the cost of Manfredi), and I’ll book there next time.

One of my favorite restaurants in that area (and walking distance from via Margutta) is Dilla. My favorite in Rome is La Taverna dei Fori Imperiali, requires a MyTaxi (Italy’s uber) to get there.

2 Likes