It's that time again - Tacolandia 2016

They’ve added 40+ vendors, so I’d hope the venue has been expanded…

Here’s a graphic I made for my Instagram for the event, showing some of the dishes from the past 3 years:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BGXOT8Dg-iB/?taken-by=theoffalo

@Ns1 - Since you only have 2 hours, you obviously have to prioritize. What’s your top 10 must-try spots?

1 Like

I don’t know, but I’m going to be finding out this week in conjunction with my FTC buddies (right, right?!?!?!)

This list is straight up daunting, and I’ll have to weigh visiting my favorites (like TPC) vs visiting the new (like all flavor / no grease)

My general plan is to hit all the out-of-country places (La Guerrerense, Kokopelli, etc.–I actually need to identify the others that are coming from Mexico) as well as the favorites (Guerrilla, TPC, Taco Maria, Corazon y Miel) and then some of the newcomers.

alright friends, who wants to help out? Here’s a shared, EDITABLE file with all the 2016 vendors, and whether or not that vendor is new for 2016. The second tab also contains 2015 vendors not returning.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1z7WqGUud4slO7i6T3vZCvYY4yTXox47GTQgH5nxS-Yk/edit?usp=sharing

(I don’t know if this is happening for anyone else, but the spreadsheet that @ns1 linked to is I assume automatically embedded in the post by the website and editable, which is cool, but it’s causing the page to load funny in my web browser.)

So while Broken Spanish/B.S. Taqueria is not listed in the restaurants list, Ray Garcia and his BST crew will be there tomorrow at the Tabasco booth (I think). I attended a preview event at BST last night sponsored by Tabasco, who is a major sponsor of the event.

They served some appetizers from the BST menu, including their “Rice and Beans”…

https://www.instagram.com/p/BGdbSVsg-sY/

Ray is actually doing THREE tacos for Tacolandia. First is the Chipotle Brisket Taco, actually seasoned with Tabasco’s chipotle pepper sauce.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BGdhsKqA-nE/

The other two don’t have Tabasco in them but Ray also came up with two salsas that use Tabasco that one could put on top of these two tacos: Guajillo Chicken Tacos and Calabasita Tacos.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BGdoGK0g-hC/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BGdvu04A-to/

Those who went last year should recognize the Calabasita (squash). That was my favorite of the three, with the Guajillo Chicken placing second. Brisket was good but I preferred the other two.

2 Likes

I removed the inline google doc. Going through it right now, there’s actually a remarkable number of people from out of state this year.

ok, I updated the spreadsheet with what info I could find. @TheOffalo, the ones from Mexico are denoted in the “notes” column.

I gotta say, it seems like he lowered his standards this year? Don Chente, Casa Vega, Frida Tacos? WTF? I guess you gotta pay the bills somehow.

I believe Don Chente and Frida Tacos were both past participants. Not sure about Casa Vega.

One thing I found from attending the past events is that even people who agree that tacos are awesome can vary greatly on what tacos they liked. Not everyone likes the cheffed up stuff from Guerrilla, Taco Maria, Corazon y Miel, etc. I listened to people talk about how x, y, or z place was the best, and they were places that I gave a pass to, since you couldn’t possibly try them all. So I try not to judge too much.

Fair.

You got a “hot list” yet?

This is by no means an exhaustive list and I reserve the right to change my mind at the event when I see what the chefs are serving! :slight_smile:

My SoCal-based “Alta California” to-try list: CaCao Mexicatessen, Calo Provisions, Colonia Tacos Guisado, Corazon y Miel, Galaxy Tacos, Guerrilla Tacos, Tabasco w/Ray Garcia of BS Taqueria, Taco Maria, Tacos Punta Cabras (yes, their shop menu is fairly traditional, but their specials are definitely out there, and they always do something interesting for Tacolandia)

My from-Mexico to-try list: Kokopelli, La Guerrerense, the other Mexican chefs/restaurants you’ve identified.

My Mariscos to-try list: Coni’seafood, El Chavo/Ceviche Project, El Coraloense, El Guero, El Marinero, La Tostaderia, etc.

Others: Bistro LQ, Katsuji Tanabe, Monkey Bar + RBTA (@JLee will be there with his creation), Petty Cash, Primera Taza (they’ll be serving mini versions of their amazing-sounding lonches sandwiches), Revolutionario Tacos, and much much more!

Okay, I kinda gave up trying to fill up my list, lest I list 60 places…

Outstanding job on the annotations in the spreadsheet! Is this your first time going, @ns1? I can’t remember.

Re: your comment on Bistro LQ, in addition to the Mexican restaurants and chefs that Bill invites, he’s always also reached out to chefs that he likes and respects who are willing to make tacos for this event. LQ has been at every Tacolandia; the first year he served rabbit liver tacos, escamole (ant egg) tacos, and even foie gras tacos (during the ban–you had to know a password to be served one). Last year (I think), he had a great octopus taco.

This is why Johnny Lee has done something each year too. Tim Hollingsworth did the first two Tacolandias. Trey Foshee of Georges in SD did the first two too, but took last year off to open Galaxy Taco, and they’re back. Really good stuff.

1 Like

Good luck to you all, hope you get to try what you want. I know i will pr o bably be eating Boston Lobster after the event.

2 Likes

I’m sitting pretty about 200 deep in the VIP line…the GA line looked pretty intimidating as well.

Line looks at least 300 deep now, 8 minutes before 3.

1 Like

Hi @Ns1,

Yikes! 200 people deep for VIP line?! Is this even worth it?

It’s 3:38 and I’ve already had 7 tacos. That said my friend saw the GA line, cut her losses and left.

3:45, up to 11

4:10, around 15. Line for guerilla tacos 40 deep.

1 Like

Shitshow
Glad I skipped it this year.

2 Likes

3-4 was great. Lines are 20 deep for anything decent now (@4:36).

Keep doing food fests like it was 2007, free “media VIP pass” or otherwise.

1 Like

4:50 and La Guerrerense is out of food. I’m full as shit and about to head to the VIP area to use up my drink tix. Hopefully they still got food.

Glad I decided to skip it… I’m getting too old to stand in line for hours for a taco… Would have loved to try the places from Mexico though. i.e La Guerrenrense.

Post mortem pics please @Ns1

3 Likes