January 2019 Weekend Rundown

Feng Maoed again again!

This dessert is just glorious (not that I had any). Rice stick, grilled, dipped in condensed milk. 1+1=3

5 Likes

Have you tried the pizzle?

Hard pass… uhhuhhhuhuh

The new pastrami sandwich on rye at Gwen, I believe it’s Australian Waygu pastrami $16.00.

This was good and different style of pastrami (compared to a Langers or Greenblatts). It was tasty, but wish I had gotten the meatball after the fact :sweat_smile:. Worth it to get for LA pastrami completists.

Margarita pizza at Cal Mare at the Beverly Center. Only went here because they were selling these pizzas for 53 cents yesterday since the Rams are going to the super bowl. It was actually pretty tasty. Interesting restaurant, but the menu is quite pricey (for a restaurant in a mall). Don’t think I’ll ever go back for a real dinner at their price point unfortunately… rather hit something in the mozza tier for the price.

8 Likes

Is the special still going on?

Jajangmyeon, jjampong, tuigin mandu, at Young King (K-town)…

Diver scallops, little neck clams, celery cream, clam ‘bacon’, at Fundamental LA (Westwood)…

Cornbread with honey butter, at Fundamental LA (Westwood)…

Rigatoni con ragu, at Cafe Angelino (BHPO)…

Black truffle ice cream, at Kiriko (Sawtelle)…

Knife-sliced cumin beef noodles, sesame scallion bread & stir-fried eggplant, at China Islamic (Rosemead)…

Pink rose ice cream & date ice cream, at Saffron & Rose Persian Ice Cream (Westwood)…

Taco de camarón y taco de pescado combo, Baja’s burrito & horchata, at Tacos Baja (East L.A.)…

Chinese long beans, Korean black bean sauce, toasted peanuts, cured egg yolk & snapper crudo (torched on cedar planks and served with aguachile, kiwi, cucumber, pickled fresno, maldon), at Fundamental LA (Westwood)…

Smoked duck breast, with cherry XO sauce, braised fennel, fennel chips, at Fundamental LA (Westwood)…

Braised short rib ‘galbi jjim’ style, aji verde, mint, basil, sesame, fried rice cake, at Fundamental LA (Westwood)…

Brown butter chocolate cake, with toasted marshmallow meringue, graham cracker crumble, macerated raspberries, from Fundamental LA (Westwood)…

Yuzu shio ramen with ajitama, at Iki Ramen (K-town)…

Shio koji ice cream with hojicha, at Iki Ramen (K-town)…

Trying a bottle from Les Gouttes de Dieu, Chez J_L…

12 Likes

whoa, hold up! what’s that black sauce korean noodle???!!!

that’s a crazy sounding weekend yo

Who in Ktown has the best Korean JJM?

Dinner at You Kitchen in Alhambra. Tried a few of the baos and dumplings – all very tasty. Loved the green onion pancake – best version I’ve had in some time. I liked how it was crispy on the edge and yet slightly doughy in the middle, and not too greasy. Bottom left: I forget the name but it was basically a plate of fried strips of dough, lightly sweetened. What’s not to love?

6 Likes

Yu Ga Ne (7th & Irolo), followed by Young King (Olympic & Harvard).

Although I don’t think anyone in ktown does it exceptionally well the places I enjoy the most are

Hong Kong banjum on 6th (Korean chain)

And Pao jao dumpling in the food court at ktown plaza on western

They both have the seafood stir fried versions too that add a little bit of wok hei

@Nemroz

1 Like

Wow, those Fundamental LA pics look great. I usually avoid food in Westwood proper like the plague, but that looks worth a visit…

3 Likes

Chef Min Kim (previously the CDC at Spring DTLA) is now helming Fundamental LA Westwood. He brings a great Korean sensibility to the menu. I enjoyed my recent meals there immensely. It’s like Papille: Focus is on deft execution.

How I want that Yuzu Shio Ramen!!!

I feel like I need to have this on a shirt. It’s brilliant.

Does anyone know what it’s called or how common it is? I don’t think I’ve ever seen or eaten that…

Didn’t you answer your own question a while back?!

Fascinating! I would’ve never considered a zwah bing lightly sweetened, although I guess I can sort of see that. And zwah bings I’ve seen/eaten before usually look more bread-y.

The only pictured almost looks like strips of apples.

Hee, hee.

Forgive me if this is what zwah bing means but I believe at You Kitchen they call it Hand Grasping Cake.

That’s pretty much what zwah (grab) bing means. :slight_smile: