January 2019 Weekend Rundown

Burgers never say die soft opening yesterday was bomb

Burratatina Pugliese at Osteria Mozza last night on a date, exquisite. Also, they have the best old fashions in the city IMO.

God tier meatball sandwich at Gwen today, also picked up mushroom soup which hit the spot.

8 Likes

That mushroom soup looks so good!

Is BNSD worth the gimmicky hassle?

How was that though

1 Like

Could not have been as good as the meatball sandwich.

1 Like

Fiona

Pretty hit and miss at dinner.

hits

• hamachi crudo
  • key lime pie

meh

• burrata & pears
  • bo kho

miss

• sweet potato pancake

hamachi crudo, pineapple, ginger, lime chili
highlight of the night, the dressing tasted like a fish sauce vinaigrette that had a nice balance of sweet, heat and acid. loved the fried shallots on top.

burrata & winter nelis pears, olive oil, sea salt, country bread
Fine

vietnamese beef stew, short ribs, carrots, baguette
the baguette and short ribs were delicious, the broth was kind of bland and in need of some umami.

sweet potato pancake, umeboshi creme fraiche, fresno chiles, lardons
this was described as a latka by the server and i was hoping this would be a play on a vietnamese banh tom. it was neither. what came out was sweet potato mush topped with overpowering umeboshi creme fraiche and enough salt from the lardons to give you chronic kidney disease. inedible.

key lime pie
tart and semi-sweet. very good but doesn’t top my favorite at fwd.

no toto

6 Likes

that is a crazy amount of creme fraiche.

2 Likes

Thanks for the warning @PorkyBelly. Very sad as we were looking forward to trying this place. :frowning:

Ran into the city for the morning and stopped at Chaumont for come croissants to take home. At 7:30AM, the pastry case was rather bare with only some breads and some morning/breakfast pastries. Croissants still look fabulous. Had to run, so didn’t get a chance to eat it quite yet.

3 Likes

Koftegi

Got the namesake but I think I should have got it with cheese.

Juicy and flavorful patties. The whole time I was thinking “Man I need some small Kings Hawaiian rolls for some sliders”

In the heart of Little Arabia. For the record I don’t know shit about ME/Med food. I probably can’t find Turkey on a world map.

3 Likes

The later you go, the more the kitchen has time to crank out the goods. But the traffic and parking get pretty bad as the day progresses as well.

2 Likes

You’re right. I’ve been at 9AM-ish and there are way more items out on display. But that’s okay, I just really wanted croissants anyway…no complaints here.

1 Like

Finally had the Gwen meatball sando that gets much love here… and holy hell is the love ever justified. That is one juicy meatball, and the broccoli rabe pesto is perfect. It will almost certainly be the highlight of my weekend eating.

4 Likes

Right on!

I’m having dinner at Gwen tonight.
Any recent experiences?

1 Like

I’ve never been for dinner, but based on the sandwich I really want to go! A coworker (… the boss) goes regularly and loves it, though I’m not sure what his order is.

Welcome to the Gwen meatball crew.

They have a pastrami now too, but was too scared to get it this week instead of the meatball :wink: gonna try next week I think.

1 Like

Finally got to eat the croissant from Chaumont. Popped it in the toaster oven for a bit and the result continues to be the best croissant that I’ve ever had. The top becomes shatteringly crisp and the flavor of the French butter just hits you. I’m so glad I bought more than a couple…tomorrow’s post-gym breakfast is going to be so good!

9 Likes

Feng Maoed again

It’s settled, no more seafood there, meh. Focusing on lamb, chicken hearts, beef, tendon was good as was their bean paste jigae. Banchan is poor. It’s all about pounding beers and having the lamb here

5 Likes

I find this bothersome. Here is a handy-dandy map. :slight_smile:

3 Likes