January 2021 Rundown

what, no hanpen cheese? just kidding, looks good. i’d be all over that tamagoyaki

1 Like

thanks! i think Jimmy is adding the sukiyaki to his future menus

2 Likes

Wow! Had no idea Furaibo did good fries. Thanks for posting i wouldn’t have thought of take out from there

1 Like

:round_pushpin: Aroma Cafe, 2530 Overland Avenue, Cheviot Hills.

:bosnia_herzegovina: Bosanski lonac (Bosnian pot) stew in the center, pljeskavica on the right. Dessert is tufahije, apple poached in sugar water, stuffed with walnuts.

14 Likes

Only been once, but I really enjoyed the food there. Thanks for reminding me.

So I went to OG Top Round.

Waiting for my $30 order I asked for 1 round sauce and 1 horseradish mustard. You know, the ones they used to have in the pumps pre-Covid.

They wanted $1 EACH!!! For a sauce.

They said they don’t give it in small containers anymore and she shows me a 4oz soufflé cup.

I said you’re kidding me right? I can’t get sauce for free with my 2 sandwiches and tots.

“It’s the owner’s policy”

The owner is no doubt suffering the effects of lingering Covid brain fog.

Piss off Top Round.

8 Likes

Wow. That’s sad.

Didn’t even know they were back open really

1 Like

Neighborhood power outrage induced ice cream outing.

Milk chocolate hazelnut praline from sweet rose

6 Likes

Get yourself a bottle of James River BBQ sauce that’s what they use in Boston and in the North Shore.

1 Like

Ok. :joy:

I should just carry condiments with me all the time. Maybe I should get my cars console turned into a mini fridge. Also need a tool belt, no tools, just the essential dry herbs and spices.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Naemo was superb. Really nice guys cooking up a storm, their way. With their ghost kitchen in K-town, and freeway-close pickup in West L.A., the gastronomy here is solid and convenient. Keep your eyes peeled for collabs coming soon (you heard it here first LOL)…

21 Likes

Naemo x Shiku

Naemo x Majordomo

Possibly?

No pics, but A Cut Above just started doing takeout sandwiches again. We got the pastrami reuben (not sure if they actually call it that, but it’s got everything else in a reuben, only with Pastrami instead of corned beef), the steak banh mi, and the fries. The reuben was probably best–smoky + sour and good sandwich construction. The banh mi was tougher to eat, with the egg soggying up the bread and a couple of chewy bites of steak. The accoutrements (pickled veggies etc.) were quite good; in the future I might just order it with no eggs. The fries were pretty solid; thin, mostly crispy outside and soft inside (a few got steamed up a bit on the trip home), with garlic salt on the fries and a spicy aioli to dip. When ordering I realized you can turn them into chili cheese fries, which I’ve got my eyes on in case we need something to munch on once the rains return.

8 Likes

Are we going to Bernie meme for the lulz?

2 Likes

Did you get a sense if the bread would’ve been fairy close to “right” w/o the egg? I don’t expect it to be Little Saigon levels, but so much of my enjoyment of a banh mi in the bread that if the bread isn’t right…

If I were a betting man I’d say yes.

1 Like

I’ve only had A Cut Above twice but if I lived closer I’d be there all the time for sandwiches and to buy meat for the grill or smoker. Great cubano. Better than most Cuban places out here.

2 Likes

Got the Regarding her food collab between porridge and puffs and Zoe food party…sumac spiced lamb, walnut, Meyer lemon, ponzu tahini on negi porridge.

oh boy it was spectacular on this cold dreary day. Prob one our favorites ever at Porridge and puffs. They have shut it down during the surge but I sure hope they come back consistently soon…

15 Likes

Super-crisped up carnitas from Zacatecas Restaurant in Hawthorne.

Also had the grilled shrimp, picture is too bad to post.

Also had two margaritas to go.

I miss eating here. Ate at Dockweiler Beach, so that was cool.

9 Likes

EXCELLENT pie from Pizza Wagon.

Pepperoni and mushroom. Crispy crust yet chewy. Mushrooms really help bring out the smokiness of the pepperoni.

Damn near perfect, maybe I’d prefer it a TAD thinner.

14 Likes