January 2023 Rundown

Your chowpups are gangsta. I also don’t enjoy breast parm. And the vodka sauce is my favorite there, too!

Nice to know secondi is as solid as the pastas. Salad, copious amounts of garlic bread and pasta just about do me in there. Never thought to venture out to the meat courses.

What’s crazy is there was a time not too long ago when a plate of house made pasta would run you about $14 before tax and tip. Time and the market have adjusted since.

So glad you had a great family evening without schleping into the city.

5 Likes

Prices were still very reasonable compared to LA or Newport area. All of the pasta dishes were $20 or less. Entrees were $22 to $24.

Forgot about the great crusty bread. We tried not to fill up on the bread but it was warm and delicious.

Lovely neighborhood joint. Haven’t been to Cerritos in a minute but that area is hopping.

6 Likes

Great dinner at Mother Wolf last night. Feels like the initial mad rush has calmed a little into just an extremely busy, buzzy restaurant. Packed on a Sunday night but still possible to walk in and get a two-top in the bar area without a reservation. Rigatoni with oxtail ragu was a stunner, along with my favorite cocktail there, the Vesuvio–perfect Sunday dinner. More and more I’m coming around to the view that the best way to enjoy these new places is to give them a few months to get their feet under them rather than rushing in day 1.

12 Likes

Some recent meals:
Colapasta

Emmy Squared

Noree Thai

Pho 79

13 Likes

What’s in the first pic for Emmy Squared?

And how was all of the food there??? I don’t think anyone else has written a review yet.

That focaccia from Colapasta is looking much better than what I had during DineLA week (where it was decidedly blonde).

That Emmy Squared one was the one with vodka sauce and pesto. In general I like Emmy Squared but once Bootleg reopens it’s head and shoulders above Emmy as far as westside Detroit style places. Also a weirdly huge menu; they’ve got burgers and chicken sandwiches too but we haven’t tried those yet.

Noree was wonderful. I thought the jade noodles were a step below the khao soi and the kaeng kua but it’s all just so much better than anything we have on the westside, including Emporium. I didn’t perceive much difference from Luv2Eat. The only issue was nobody else came with us so we only had three dishes :slight_smile:

The crunch on the focaccia was certainly there but the flavor was pretty bland, which is surprising because Colapasta usually knocks flavors out of the park (and did with all of the pastas we ordered…basically did OOE but only took pictures of those two).

6 Likes

Friendly advice on this place: though yelp and Google suggest that plate50 is open until 11, the dining room closes at 9. I learned that the hard way.

3 Likes

January’s also a notoriously slow month.

1 Like

Chinatown but also phin brewed coffee in the East Village, sturgeon at R&D’s, and many more upcoming. Happy New Year from Manhattan Chinatown!

5 Likes

Bun and Mi, new Vietnamese place in the stroller capital of the city, Montana Ave Santa Monica. I thought the bread was really good, crackly outside and soft inside. Wanted more of the pickled daikon/carrot; thought the flavor of the filling in general was muted compared to Westminster spots. Veggie + mushroom spring roll was fine; I admittedly don’t have strong spring roll feelings. Peanut dipping sauce was fine. Will be back and hope they do well!

10 Likes

What is the filling on the right?

I am also personally not a huge spring roll person, but partner likes them. If this place has the bread right, I honestly think that’s more than half of the battle won right there…

I’m guessing chicken.

That spring roll looks a little carelessly wrapped. Mine used to be that uneven shape when I started learning how to do them at 6 or 7.

8 Likes

Went to the first night of the Isla pop up last night. Plenty of issues that you’d expect during night one (service, timing, etc) but I’ll leave that alone for now. Food wise we were impressed enough that we’ll go back again if they’re able to secure a brick and mortar space. Here’s what we ate:

The Good:
Rice - great with and without the duck katsoubushi
Dungeness Crab - it was a skewer and Sergio nailed the cooking
Chicken sausage - kids devoured it so I didn’t get a chance to try
Roasted cauliflower
Stuffed kampachi - impressive deboning of the whole fish. easily enough for 3 people and possibly 4
Budino - very good but it ain’t Nancy’s

The Meh:
Smoked mussels - didn’t blow me away but the two year old liked dipping bread in the sauce
Trumpet Mushroom - skewered and not on the Bavel/Matu level
Purple Haze Carrot - cooked perfectly but flavor wise I was underwhelmed
Duck breast - skewered and cooked nicely but flavor wise I wasn’t inspired.
Cookie - nothing wrong with this cookie but I make damn good cookies at home so you’re really gonna have to whip up something special to blow me away at a nice restaurant.

6 Likes

On a spur of the moment thing we hopped over to Irv’s to get The Menu Burger available all month.

”Just a Well-Made Cheeseburger. Served w/Crinkle Cut Fries for $9.95”

It certainly doesn’t look as well-made as Chef Slowik’s and I have no idea if it tastes like Chef Slowik’s. :wink: But! It was indeed just a well-made cheeseburger with all the elements of the infamous movie burger - two patties smashed on the griddle, crispy edges, onions griddled underneath one patty, lotsa melted american cheese, pickles + Irv’s sauce on a toasted sesame bun. We loved it. :yum: The crinkle cut fries were under-cooked and not well-made.

A Delicious Well-Made Vanilla Shake & a Pepsi

Irv’s is so my husband’s kinda joint. I can now see him sneaking off to cheat with a double cheeseburger (maybe some chili) while listening to punk & new wave sitting underneath a picture of his punk heroes.

Happy Eating! :hamburger:

24 Likes

A friend saw Tire Shop Taqueria stand on Cabuenga in Hwood. Looks like the same as the Avalon location.

9 Likes

Do you know where on Cahuenga? :smirk: (tagging @js76wisco)

4 Likes

I wonder if they had a Magnificent 7 cheeseboiger? Of maybe they surfed over for their Hamburger Mama!

2 Likes

Sorry I wasn’t able to find out and he didn’t remember exactly. Maybe somebody else will report back.

1 Like

Thank you!

2 Likes

Love your pizza can’t wait to order more!