January Weekend Rundown (2016)

The best $12 mole chilaquiles (wtf!!!) from a food court? Washed down with a $5 Margie. Loteria, fig/7. Loteria is the OG Broken Spanish.

2 Likes

Wonderful meal at Maple Block starting with their smoked pimiento sandwiches…

Uploading…

6 Likes

not your father’s root beer is awesome.

2 Likes

Wienermobile, your photos make everything look so delicious. We had dinner at Maple Block on Sunday. I enjoyed the grilled romaine and the fatty brisket, but I found the pork ribs to be dry. The sauces were fantastic, I just don’t think I’m a fan of dry rubbed BBQ.

1 Like

The pork ribs have a bit more bite than I like but the definitely not dry for me.

What was the sandwich in the first photo?

It is a smoked pimento cheese sandwich appetizer. You get four pieces. Very tasty.

1 Like

It really the best of the boozy rootbeer segment.

–Dommy!

2 Likes

Goes great with BBQ too!

Weather was so bad last night was hoping that no one would be waiting at Petit Trois…and I was right and walked right in (my karma was that 10 minutes later there was a 1 hour wait) wonderful meal and service but that darn burger was just too rich for me…and I never thought I’d be saying those words.

Uploading…

3 Likes

@wienermobile I felt my heart clog up just looking at your pic! :frowning:

2 Likes

Decided to start the weekend with a bang. Original plan was to hit Eggslut and Wexler’s, but by 10:45 a.m. on a Friday, the line had almost reached the currywurst place. I didn’t want to wait and passed it up. Dawdled a few minutes for Wexler and ordered the OG pastrami right when it was available at 11. After finishing, hopped back on the train to head over to Langer’s to do a back to back comparison. I hadn’t been able to do a same day comparison before. Got there before noon and had no problems getting a seat at the counter.

Hopped back on the train and settled into a cafe in St Vincent’s court for a baklava and latte while I read. After a while, wandered over to Rice Bar. Got the pork longanisa with garlic fried rice, added an egg on top… I liked their atchara too.

Wexler’s

Langer’s

Baklava and latte at St. Vincent’s court

Rice Bar

6 Likes

So which pastrami did you like better? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Same question???:flushed:

Akemashite omedeto gozaimasu! Happy New Year.

1st weekend:
Mom’s osechi ryori (traditional Japanese New Year’s feast)
Wax Paper Co. - Ira Glass sandwich (goofy concept, but it was one tasty sandwich, especially with the hearty Bub and Grandma’s bread)
Lucques - Sunday Supper with pear/grape salad, trout with kabocha, cavolo nero, and pomegranates, and toffee bread pudding. Many thanks to @farmertomato!

2nd weekend:
Shojin - Yellow Magic Orchestra roll, Pirates of the Crunchy roll, and stuffed mushrooms
Azla Vegan - combo plate with red lentils, yellow split peas, curried potatoes and cabbage, spicy tofu, and lemon/ginger/turmeric drink
Otium To Go - latte and persimmon cake

3 Likes

This guy before going down under

6 Likes

Fwd?

Krazy Smoky Teriyaki

Smoked chicken plate

Amor y Tacos

Doritos chiliquiles con carnitas

Tres tacos de asada con arroz y frijoles

Short rib chile Colorado

Short rib taquitos

Milk bar

Dough

Cheesecake, eggnog and glazed

4 Likes

That day, I liked Langer’s better. A little more luscious mouthfeel and the bread was a great combo. Wexler’s is good but they cut it just a little thicker than I would like it for a pastrami sandwich and their bread isn’t as good of a pairing for my tastes. I made it a point to eat some of the meat by itself for both so I could note. I do like the texture of Wexler’s but Langer’s just had that extra richness that was right for me.

3 Likes

Never heard of the sandwich place! Not in Silverlake often, but will try to look it up next time I’m there…