Jitlada: Still the best, haters be damned

I’m just saying, man, that you’re bringing up a comparison with a far more expensive restaurant in a completely different genre and comparing the price of an appetizer to the price of a main.

Yes. And isn’t it appalling that I find Bestia to be the better value in that scenario?

I wish Jitlada has the balls to be a Khao Gaeng (Rice Curry) joint only. No bullshit.

Here’s a plate of rice. Pick 1-3 different Southern curries. Heck rotate some for a different day of the week. Maybe a few what Thai’s call “bland” dishes or veggies for balance. Fair prices. Make a killer Thai Tea like Sapp’s to cool your mouth.

2 Likes

Maybe it’s appalling. Or maybe you just like it better.

Maybe it’s maybelline.

3 Likes

Genuine question since I know so little about Thai food: are the chefs from Night + Market and Jitlada cooking dishes from the same region of Thailand? I haven’t eaten at either extensively, but I didn’t sense a huge overlap. I will also say that I’ve thoroughly enjoyed my 2 visits at Night + Market but did feel that, when I had good dishes at Jitlada, they exceeded what I had at Night + Market.

@MyAnnoyingOpinions: I do think Night + Market is certainly worth a try, but I wouldn’t not expect that you would enjoy it more than you do Jitlada. Also, if you go to N+M, bring some earplugs and make a reservation (I was able to make a same-day reservation for Sat night for around 7:15PM). It is ridiculously loud in there, IMHO.

Night and Market is Northern Thai and Isaan with a few Bangkok noodle dishes.

Jitlada is Southern Thai.

You will find Isaan food in all regions of Thailand due to migration

3 Likes

I wasn’t suggesting that Jitlada and NIght + Market serve the same food only that the latter also seems to be in the running for best Thai restaurant in L.A.

Also Lum Ka Naad in Reseda does both Northern and Southern under the same roof. As the Mom is from the South and Pop is from the North. Haven’t ate there yet but I like that I can get laab, sticky rice, papaya salad with spicy soupy curry and stink beans.

I notice that when people eat Jitlada some don’t eat the currys with lots of rice or order “bland” dishes for balance. Spicy dish after spicy dish after spicy dish.

If there is one thing I learn about eating Asian food all my life is it’s about balance in taste, texture, quantity, etc.

They make look at you funny when you order too much of one flavor profile or too much meat.

Certainly your experience will differ if you don’t understand this

Those YOLO foodie Jitlada meals with SinoSoul is not typical Thai

2 Likes

So spot on. For me texture is a big thing. Too much of one and I find that as problematic as many people complaining about a one note taste. I can deal better with several similar flavors but different textures rather than the other way around.

1 Like

This is pretty awesome.

11 Likes

Finally went back after probably a decade. Had no clue what to order and no time to prepare. Crying tiger pork is great. Crispy morning glory is fun. Dry curry lamb and pumpkin was very good. But I was looking for mind blowing

Should’ve tried the pad thai

It’s not sui generis any more.

what do you mean? just that it’s a new head cook?

It’s not the only place making those dishes, nor the only place not dumbing things down for non-Thai customers. Compare those two articles.

Warrior: For over ten years, I’ve been in the camp of people who believe that Jitlada is the best Thai restaurant in LA, and I continue to believe that. I also rank it higher than Lotus of Siam. Jitlada was as good as ever today. It blows other Thai restaurants away with its intense flavors. The fish kidney curry is incredibly spicy, pungent, and delicious if you can tolerate the heat. It was too spicy for our dining guests from Sichuan and Wuhan (not to mention Peony)! The coconut-milk-based Southern curry with tea leaves and catfish is a step down in spiciness, but the earthy flavors are very satisfying. The garlic crab was our table’s favorite dish. Crispy duck rolls and crispy morning glory salad were also hits. The only miss for me was the pad thai with giant prawns. I think this dish on the Southern Thai menu is probably different from their regular pad thai. I found it too sweet, bland, and mushy.

Peony: I am really impressed by the extensive range of flavors that Jitlada has to offer. We ordered 6 dishes with almost 6 different flavors. As the least able to tolerate spicy food among our dinner party, I enjoyed almost all the food except the super-spicy fish kidney curry. The vegetables and duck and seafood all tasted very fresh and flavorful. I agreed with Warrior that the pad thai was the least impressive dish, although the prawns were very tasty. Overall a wonderful experience!

5 Likes

Have you tried Luv2Eat (for comparison)?

1 Like

Warrior: We tried Luv2Eat several years ago. I thought it was good, but for whatever reason we weren’t enticed to return. I remember liking the dish of rice noodles with curry and ground fish, which i haven’t tried at Jitlada (a similar dish is on their menu). We’ve also gotten delivery a few times, but it’s not fair to judge a restaurant by delivery unless you are judging it for its delivery. (Interesting tidbit: Jazz told us today that Jitlada puts more water and vegetables in the fish kidney curry for delivery because most people can’t eat the authentic version.). It’s fair to say I haven’t tried Luv2Eat enough to conclude definitively that I prefer Jitlada.

Peony: I don’t remember.

1 Like