Johnny Lee On Cantonese White Chicken Video

Pork jowl char siu bowl from @JLee tonight at Chinatown after dark

5 Likes

Taste and texture? :drooling_face:

Delicious, so good I ordered another one to go

2 Likes

No neon red food coloring?

Nope, red yeast rice was used according to his IG

14 posts were split to a new topic: Should some people avoid red yeast rice?

Speaking of char siu I’ll be in SF next month.

I’ll triple bang bang bang Palette>Hing Lung Co> Ming Kee for you guys. It will be perfect

5 Likes

My char siu there was less than perfect. Better yet, skip Palette altogether.

3 Likes

So Dragon Beaux for dim sum or is there some where better?

2 Likes

House made XO sauce from Palette is excellent. Get a few jars to go if you end up there.

btw just noticed this video from @JLee from a presentation at UCLA

1 Like

+1 on skipping Palette with @moonboy403 :sweat_smile: I never had a good meal there. Harborview is a little less bad sometimes but still not tasty!

@JeetKuneBao DB is a hit and missed in dimsum land for me, but for SF it’s still above average. Eat dimsum in New York, much better imo.

If you visit, try their rice rolls with BBQ pork, nice texture, thinner rice wrap than others. Avoid the colorful Five Guy Xiao Long Bao, opt for crab roe one. Their Siu Mai, pot sticker, chicken feet and other basic dimsum item are aren’t much better so don’t expect too much. Here are some of my to-go that I often get there. They have good BBQ pork and Crispy Pork compare to other SF dimsum houses. Their rice and Noodles and Wok items are all ok to eat too.

If you venture down to South Bay, here is where my legit Asian friends often took me before the pandemic. Just average Chinatown Chicago quality, nothing fancy but taste good enough.

@hal do you have any favorite dimsum places in the Bay. I honestly don’t really have anywhere that I love love love.
Saigon Seafood Harbor
(408) 734-2828

1 Like

Agreed, same with Koi Palace but I only went once so what do I know.

1 Like

Interesting I always thought that people said that dragon beaux and koi palace were heads shoulders above the dim sum offerings in LA

I always thought Palette/Dragon Beaux was the best in the country. I always recommend SF as having the best dim sum scene in the country.

Hit or miss is not good lol

2 Likes

With my limited experience in SF, I disagree completely. SF does offer more creative dim sum but what does that matter when execution is poor?

SF is kinda fames for not having good dimsum in the city, across all the high-end spots. Millbrae has better (not high-end but tasty) Chinese food I think. My Hong Kong crews usually eat around there for Asian food and only dine the the city for higher end meals.

This place has good onion pancakes and Xiao Long Bao, dimsum is good, too and much cheaper but more real lol

Shanghai Dumpling Shop
(650) 697-0682

Avoid all the tiny spots for dimsum in SF Chinese town, they’re nowhere like New York. The duck and Charsiu on your list is better!

I like the soy-braised lion head beef meatballs, spicy peanut sauce dumplings, and pan-fried pork buns there, as well as the XLB.

1 Like

I’m with you in that every visit to Dragon Beaux and Palatte have been great. However I just spoke with Bay Area friends who said their most recent visit to Palatte was disappointing. On our last trip to the Bay Area we went to Pearl Bay in Fremont which was excellent.

1 Like

Might have been but nobody ever stays the best for more than a few years.

I suspect the best place in that group is the Koi Palace in Dublin.

My Singaporean foodie hairdresser recommended Palette in SF a year or so back but said it was good only on the weekend.

1 Like